Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
No offence taken by your original post. However it does show the rational as to why I try not to bring my dog with me when at all possible. You have a right to be apprehensive around dogs given your negative past experience with them. However, it begs the question as to why you would put yourself in an area with many dogs given your inherent negative feelings about them. Perhaps a dog free campground would be of a better fit for you.
I don't have negative feelings about all dogs. I have numerous friends with dogs. I don't think I should have to find a dog free campground. (I know of no Florida State Parks that are dog free). One thousand positive experiences will hardly offset one bad one where you are bitten and may entail a trip to the emergency room and possible rabies shot injections and the corresponding expenses. I am just asking all pet owners to follow all the pet rules and keep their pets on the 6 foot leash and under physical control at all times.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by preceptjoe View Post
I don't have negative feelings about all dogs. I have numerous friends with dogs. I don't think I should have to find a dog free campground. (I know of no Florida State Parks that are dog free). One thousand positive experiences will hardly offset one bad one where you are bitten and may entail a trip to the emergency room and possible rabies shot injections and the corresponding expenses. I am just asking all pet owners to follow all the pet rules and keep their pets on the 6 foot leash and under physical control at all times.
Sir I am sorry you have had bad experiences with dogs over your lifetime. The topic here as you introduced it is Dogs in Campgrounds. You very clearly stated that you would be possessing pepper or mace spray and pretty much implied that you would be prepared to use it at the least provocation. The response you have received on this thread should make it clear that dogs in campgrounds is a popular fact. The experiences of others would seem to show that your experience has not been what others have had. It is everybit your right to seek out dog free CG's, places you live, and places you visit. Most campgrounds are proud to post that they are pet friendly. They understand the popularity of pets and specifically dogs, If you visit a "no dogs" CG and find that the policy is not being enforced you have every right to protest. You do not have a right to preemptively put campers with pets on notice that if their dog makes eye contact with you they risk getting sprayed.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #23

We were one of those dog owners that had our dog get away and attack another dog at the CG. Once, a pointer mix we had slipped out of his harness and attacked a dog. We were able to break the dogs up fairly easy and the other dog's owner didn't seem to be too upset. Another time, our teen daughter hooked up his leash to the ring for his tag instead of the heavy D ring for the collar and he immediately broke away. Dogs can be unpredictable so I do have sympathy for those that have been thru this.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
I travel with three Standard Poodles. They are high end show dogs. Well trained, socialized, friendly, and respectful. But dogs are dogs. Every once in a while one will sneak through the gate or get out to say hi or explore. You would not want to mace one of my poodles. You wouldn't like me when I am angry.

Call the park owners and complain about me and let them handle it. Come and find me and have a conversation. I doubt you are even informed enough to understand the difference between a real charging dog (of which there are very few) and a dog that just wants to say hi to who they view as a new potential friend.

I do not defend idiots who deliberately lets their dogs run loose, but your proposed course of action will turn a potentially friendly dog encounter into a potentially ugly situation.
X2
I have a Black Lab at 2 years old. Doesn't have a mean streak in his body but has learned to protect himself if another dog becomes aggressive
He loves to run, jump and play all time. All the research I've done says this breed is in the "puppy stage" until 3 years old.
I have seen him "jump" on/at my neighbor's when they walk into my yard (at home) to chat with me but it is just an invitation for them to play. We always keep him on the leash when we go camping and won't go to a RV park that doesn't allow dogs.
I am truly sorry you have had bad experiences while running/biking/exercising, etc but if you peppered sprayed my dog we would have a serious confrontation!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
Old 06-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #25

As IRAQVET2 said (dogs can be unpredictable). As long as dogs are restrained and on a six foot leash which all Private and State campgrounds that I know of require, I would never consider them a threat. But I am not waiting for him to sink his teeth into mine or my wife's leg before I respond. I don't think anyone else would either. Every dog owner thinks his dog would never attack. You read about all the time in the news after a dog mauls a small child.

This will be my last post on the matter before the moderator shuts it down.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by preceptjoe View Post
As IRAQVET2 said (dogs can be unpredictable). As long as dogs are restrained and on a six foot leash which all Private and State campgrounds that I know of require, I would never consider them a threat. But I am not waiting for him to sink his teeth into mine or my wife's leg before I respond. I don't think anyone else would either. Every dog owner thinks his dog would never attack. You read about all the time in the news after a dog mauls a small child.

This will be my last post on the matter before the moderator shuts it down.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #27
Site Team

This subject has covered all the bases.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Closed Thread