Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #1

Chillin' in Vermont

Although I don't own a Jayco, it was the Jayco Eagle 29.5RKS parked next to us at a campground that eventually changed us from a TT to a 5th wheel. And if we ever full-time, I am thinking the Jayco Pinnacle line would be our first choice. So with our 2003 Tundra barely adequate for our 5500 lb TT, a brand new 2011 F150 5.0L V8 camped next to us with the Eagle 29.5RKS. They gave us a tour of their Jayco and we loved the floor plan. They had just picked it up from the dealer and were on their maiden voyage. He had added air bags and said it towed great.
I had already planned to trade up to an F150 and research indicated the couple was very over loaded, but the F150 could be configured for appropriate 5th wheel towing. A few months later, I picked up an F150 EcoBoost with Max Tow. Although I wanted the HD payload package, it was only available in the 6.5' bed which would not fit in my garage, so I ruled it out and added SuperSprings and the HD payload shocks which improves the capabilities, but not the payload sticker. The specs of the 29.5RKS were studied and I was put off by the 1700 lb pin weight, but the DW insisted. Dealer issues started us looking elsewhere and we found a Cougar High Country 299RKS with the same floor plan and 300 lbs less pin weight. We absolutely love both the towing and camping experience of a fiver and put 3000 miles on it last summer with plans for 8-10000 miles this coming summer.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #2

Welcome to the JOF, SkiSmuggs. My God I love Vermont!! When I was in college in the outskirts of Boston, I spent a lot of time--not enough, though--in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. My goal is to spend a couple of weeks out there in our Jayco, but that won't happen for a couple more years. If you could, can you post some pictures of the State Park CG's of Vermont? Happy Camping!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

X2

Vermont is on our wish list too.
Any recommendations for visiting the state would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #4

Vermont campgrounds we've used and approved:
Rest N Nest in East Thetford
Able Mountain in Randolph
Lone Pine in Colchester - nice but too near I-89 but convenient to the Burlington area
Tree Corners in Irasburg
Sugar Ridge in Danville
Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #5

Wife and i love Vermont. we spend a lot of time up there. we use a lot of state parks for our camping trips, no hook-ups but thats o.k. Their parks are very well kept. we will be heading up there on 2-14-2013 for 3 nites. going to motel it this time. can't get the camper out of the back yard to much snow from the blizzard over the weekend

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowsfamily View Post
Wife and i love Vermont. we spend a lot of time up there. we use a lot of state parks for our camping trips, no hook-ups but thats o.k. Their parks are very well kept. we will be heading up there on 2-14-2013 for 3 nites. going to motel it this time. can't get the camper out of the back yard to much snow from the blizzard over the weekend
Are you going to ski/ride? Even if you could get your camper out, I don't think the parks are open yet. Enjoy!