Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #11

hey I can not really help you with this but can say we faced the same situation. Felt unsure about towing the TT the dealer said we could tow as we felt it was to close to the limit of our towing capacity of our vehicle and we did decide on a lighter TT. We wanted to make sure we felt safe and comfortable towing.

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #12

Hi to Everyone,

I had my husband read this and we are going to Joe's advice about wet weight, etc., keeping in mind what everyone on this site has told us, too. Another question we have, though, is how many axles are better on the trailer? Does it make a difference if it is one or two? My husband thinks two is better for long distances.

We did not want to get a trailer with beds that slid out because we thought they were made of canvass. We heard canvass gets moldy unless you are really careful. My husband says, too, that any kind of slideout is just something more that can break so he did not want slideout beds. However, they do add more room to the trailer so I guess hubby will just have to get over it. I see Jayco has an X17C along with the X17Z. The X17 C is a bit shorter in length and weighs a bit less. We will look at them both, and I think will be choosing one or the other.

We were really green when we went to the Jayco dealer. He did try to sell us the biggest trailer he thought we could pull. He didn't even try at all when we looked at the smaller trailer first. Not only that but when my husband asked him his best price on the 199 my husband said, out loud, that he thought the trailer was going to cost even more. I had to remind him, when were alone later, that one should never agree with the first price a dealer gives you. We both hate haggling but will have to learn to do it right because we always seem to pay too much for our vehicles.

Have a great rest of the summer camping. That goes for everyone on this site.

Sabina

Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina View Post
Hi to Everyone,

I had my husband read this and we are going to Joe's advice about wet weight, etc., keeping in mind what everyone on this site has told us, too. Another question we have, though, is how many axles are better on the trailer? Does it make a difference if it is one or two? My husband thinks two is better for long distances.

We did not want to get a trailer with beds that slid out because we thought they were made of canvass. We heard canvass gets moldy unless you are really careful. My husband says, too, that any kind of slideout is just something more that can break so he did not want slideout beds. However, they do add more room to the trailer so I guess hubby will just have to get over it. I see Jayco has an X17C along with the X17Z. The X17 C is a bit shorter in length and weighs a bit less. We will look at them both, and I think will be choosing one or the other.

We were really green when we went to the Jayco dealer. He did try to sell us the biggest trailer he thought we could pull. He didn't even try at all when we looked at the smaller trailer first. Not only that but when my husband asked him his best price on the 199 my husband said, out loud, that he thought the trailer was going to cost even more. I had to remind him, when were alone later, that one should never agree with the first price a dealer gives you. We both hate haggling but will have to learn to do it right because we always seem to pay too much for our vehicles.

Have a great rest of the summer camping. That goes for everyone on this site.

Sabina
First off... You are a smart shopper! Going to see what's out there knowing you aren't buying "today" even as good as the offer sounds on that first visit! (Use the formula that if you can buy a new tt/5er/MH for 30% off MSRP new, you are doing well)

Second... never believe what a salesman says! He/she will definitely tell you what your tv can tow (been there done that – but because of online rv formus, we still didn’t fall prey!). If you can reconnoiter with a salesperson to find out what is out there that does work with your tv, then go online and deal with the internet person (including Costco, Ebay, AAA, your local dealer, etc), you could save $thousand-s- PLUS! (in other words you aren’t paying someone elses car payment for the month… yeah, I know that sounds cruel for the working salesman! Some of us don’t have that extra collateral though !.).

Third.... Joe makes a lot of sense! (Seeing we need a thread on how to buy an RV cheep without being duped by a “sales person”!).

Also, your questions on one or two axles… what we learned when we were towing on the cheap with a Honda Mini-van was that up to 3500lbs you can tow with one axle…. With a two axle trailer…. you will definitely need a tv with a towing capacity of 4500 lbs plus based on tv GCWR.

Let us know what you wind up doing… but definitely hit us up with as many questions as you have as there are some experienced savvy Jayco Owners out there!  Hope this helps some.....
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
Site Team

How to figure 30% of MSRP

As for how to figure the above percentage…… Take the MSRP of tt including options/etc (for us it was $24,472), subtract what you pay, and for us this was $16,900 (this does not include the taxes/fees). With these numbers it is $7,572. Then divide the difference you will pay from the MSRP. Ie: 7,572 divided by 24,472 = 31%. (We found this dirt bottom price online, then took it to our dealer... we negotiated, and we have now enjoyed our Jayco for almost a year!).
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #15

If you look there is another Jayco that may fit what your hubby is looking for-- It's the JayFeather 165

I was thinking that since you wont be using that top bunk you build a little cabinet for a tv-- that way you could watch tv from the gaucho.

We started out with tent trailer and the only thing you have to do to prevent mold on the canvas is to either not put it away wet or when you get home open it back up and let it dry. With those 17C or 17Z popping out those beds takes about 5 minutes to do both-- it's real easy.

Either way Good Luck!

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
If you look there is another Jayco that may fit what your hubby is looking for-- It's the JayFeather 165

I was thinking that since you wont be using that top bunk you build a little cabinet for a tv-- that way you could watch tv from the gaucho.

We started out with tent trailer and the only thing you have to do to prevent mold on the canvas is to either not put it away wet or when you get home open it back up and let it dry. With those 17C or 17Z popping out those beds takes about 5 minutes to do both-- it's real easy.

Either way Good Luck!
plus the 17c or 17z have a total weight of like 3500 lbs and with the canvas beds you gain so much space in your camper. we went with the hybrid for that reason. we felt like we gained a lot of space while keeping the towing capacity low.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #17

Very good advice here. We towed an 18ft light TT (GVW 3500lbs) last spring and in June with a 5000lbs capacity TV. (6cly w/impressive tow package *'05 Honda Ridgeline*).
We were underpowered ! We also had sway when wind currents were present, or Semis doing 80mph. Its a Great Vehicle, and I hope to have it for 5 more years.
We don't tow anymore but my limited experience has exposed (to me) a few points of interest, for what its worth.
1) Allow a safety margin when doing the math. (capacities and/or limits)
2) Remember you may have to be able to stop, as well as go.
3) MPG w/6cyl have a much "bigger" difference between towing and not-towing than 8cyl.
4) You can never know "to much" about towing. Be safe, if not for your own sake, then for the sake of others on the roads we share.
5) Don't rely on the TT Electric Brakes & Controller for "peace of mind". But they sure help! Don't leave home without'm !!!

I really doubt if we were anywhere "near" 4000lbs at any time when we towed.
You must consider the passengers, cargo, Full tank of gas, etc ...etc ... when considering towing ability of a TV.

These are only suggestions, as everyones towing experience is different in some ways.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #18

Thank you all for your patience with me and for all your valuable comments. I do want to drive safe for everyone on the roads sake, including us. We also, don't want to pay more than we have to so I appreciate what was said about that, too. Forgot to ask about buying used. If a dealer is selling used, do you pay what they ask or do we make an offer on used trailers, too? We would rather buy new so we know we won't have too many problems, but if we could get a good deal on used maybe we should start with that.
Sabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #19

When we went 'larger' (which closed the curtain on any towing for some time) we bought "used". It's a gamblers game when deciding between New & Used.
We know that Used is cheaper, but New has it's advantages too. Buying used we still have a few issues that need attention, but she's water tight, AC works great, and Hot-Water is always there. We have a small leak under sink, the sissor jacks are not stabilizing (probably worn out), and the out-side needs some TLC, but we are very happy with our '02 Designer TT. We are taking care of the small issues one at a time, and in the process learning alot about RVs. The Jayco is a quality unit.
We hope to help it last as long as possible. It was well taken care of by previous owner(s) so we have a great headstart. It all depends on the "New" stigma, and the availability of disposable income.
Some New units have issues too, and are addressed by the Dealer/Manufacturer in nearly all of the recalls, if there are any.
On a personal note, if we could have afforded New, I think we would have. Our 18ft TT we traded in was a 2010 which we bought new. We did get a very Fair trade in amount for it.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #20

Welcome to the forum sabina the square footage is for air drag on the tow vehicle.