Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #1

Electrical Issue - looking for possible culprits

Greetings...first time posting. I have a 2020 Jayco Eagle HT 285 RSTS that I bought brand new a month ago!
I had it plugged in at a buddies house (covid-camping in his driveway). Everything was working beautifully, except when i went back the following weekend, there was no shore power!
Everything 12v is working fine, just no ac plugs, tv, fireplace, etc.
Its currently at the dealer, been there for a week and they haven't even looked at it as of yesterday. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what it could be.
thanks in advance...
Eagledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #2

first things to check would be the breakers and fuses for the RV and then also the breaker where you were plugged into at your friend's house.

120 works when you are plugged in or have a gen running except for a few outlets that an inverter powers off the 12v. I'm not familiar with your model, but the inverter normally powers very few outlets, 1-3.

So you may be running 12V off battery and the breaker is tripped allowing 120 in or the outlet you were plugged into tripped at the house.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #3

All suggestions have been checked. Just to clarify, the issue is not inverter related, I don't have one. Simply shore power not present. I was thinking maybe transfer switch, but I'm still researching...
thanks!
Old 05-12-2021, 09:51 AM   #4

don't think you would have a transfer switch if there's no built in generator. Transfer should just change from different 120v sources (ie shore/gen).

Next thing would be to trace the 120v incoming with multimeter. Verify outlet, plug RV back in and then check breaker panel. If you don't have it at the panel, the line is broken incoming. If you have it at the RV breaker panel, before the 'main' breaker it may be a bad breaker not passing incoming power to the panel.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #5

Welcome Aboard!

Do you have a multimeter? They can be very helpful in diagnosing issues like this.

Sounds like you were connected to your buddies place with the shore power cord, and all the 120V systems worked day one, just not when you came back the following week.

Did you verify the Home's outlet was working? The circuit breaker might have tripped or the GFI associated to the outlet might have been tripped.

Did you check your onboard 120 volt circuit breakers? You may have tripped one, or maybe the dealership turned off the main breaker.

By chance could someone have driven over the power cord (car or lawnmower)?

I would assume you have a shore power cord you can physically disconnect from the 5ver. Did you remove it, and verify the cable connections did not look corroded or damaged?

Regarding your 12 volt system; The 12V system runs off the onboard battery, which is charged off the integrated converter at the fuse panel. If the camper is just sitting idle, and not connected to shore power it will run all the 12 volt items. There are lots of parasite power drains which will deplete your battery in 2 or so weeks. So always stay connected to shore power or flip the disconnect switch.

Let us know what you have done to diagnose the power issue.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #6

Without the use of a voltmeter you will just be taking shots in the dark. Measure at the house outlet first and then proceed from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #7

Lol, thanks Jim. House outlet is good, verified by my surge-protector/ESM. Unfortunately its sitting in limbo at the dealer right now, so I can't do any hands-on troubleshooting. I do know all the 12v system works - everything that runs off the 12v side works. Nothing on the 120v side works.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Welcome Aboard!

Do you have a multimeter? They can be very helpful in diagnosing issues like this.

Sounds like you were connected to your buddies place with the shore power cord, and all the 120V systems worked day one, just not when you came back the following week.

Did you verify the Home's outlet was working? The circuit breaker might have tripped or the GFI associated to the outlet might have been tripped.

Did you check your onboard 120 volt circuit breakers? You may have tripped one, or maybe the dealership turned off the main breaker.

By chance could someone have driven over the power cord (car or lawnmower)?

I would assume you have a shore power cord you can physically disconnect from the 5ver. Did you remove it, and verify the cable connections did not look corroded or damaged?

Regarding your 12 volt system; The 12V system runs off the onboard battery, which is charged off the integrated converter at the fuse panel. If the camper is just sitting idle, and not connected to shore power it will run all the 12 volt items. There are lots of parasite power drains which will deplete your battery in 2 or so weeks. So always stay connected to shore power or flip the disconnect switch.

Let us know what you have done to diagnose the power issue.
I do have a multimeter, I just can't access the RV right now...its sitting at the dealer, been there over a week, and they haven't even looked at it.
Shore power cord is brand new, and like I said, everything was working great, then not working.
Everything 12v is working fine, no issue other than i have to charge the batteries. lol
Old 05-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #9

Is this one of the items the dealer is looking at? If so, it might not be an issue when you get it back home. I always keep a multimeter in my TT.

I always start with the KIS method, start off checking the super easy things like the house outlet, than work towards the harder items like loose wire connections behind the circuit panel.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote