Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #1

First timer

Hello,
This is my first travel trailer and first time I ever bought a camper of any type. Got myself a 2013 Jay Flight Swift 165RB. My wife and I were looking for a good tent to camp in Jasper this summer ($500) and that plan turned into a used tent trailer($2000) which turned into the one we finally bought ($15 000). How did that happen???? We are looking forward to camping in this thing that we can't use until May. Now my question... We have never camed in a TT, so... any suggestions on what we need to bring and buy, for our first trip, would be very welcome.
Spmcco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #2

Wow Spmcco, at that speed you could be in a 5th wheel by spring. Welcome to the forum, you'll get lots of help here.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #3

Trust me... We looked at the 5th wheels, if only we had the TV (and the money)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #4

I was going to suggest getting the highest rating weight dist hitch that was allowed for your trailer incase you want to upgrade but it looks like you'll going straight to the fifth from here. lol. Looking for a bigger vehicle should slow you down. I'll wait and let some others answer some of your questions.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #5

Actually, the dealer sold us a weight distributing hitch for this TT. Our TV is a hybred with a 5500 lbs tow weight. Just Googled the Jayfeather 228 that you have and now I am sad. We can tow it, but we would have to get rid of one of our dogs which my wife would never agree to.Click image for larger version

Name:	dog.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	6440
Old 02-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #6

Welcome Spmcco and congratulations!! My advice is to not buy anything that won't be used on every camping trip, except for tools. You never know when you may need those!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #7

Spmcco, I had to laugh, we were about the same as you. We were looking for a tent trailer and brought home a HTT (hybrid).

When it comes to camping I would consider myself a minimalist. Bring what you need and not much more. There are a few things that are absolutely critical, but most things you can get by without. Being you have never had a TT before I would recommend your first two campouts. The 1st one is in your driveway for a weekend. I would recommend only using the house for the bathroom (you do not want to have to deal with the sewer system at home). This will give you an idea if you have everything for a trip. Secondly, I would recommend a trip not far from home, maybe 30 miles or so. This way again if you forgot something important you are not far away, and lets you pull it, and not be too stressed. If you have not pulled anything that big before you will have a little bit of stress for the first 5 or so trips.

As for absolute gear you need;
Marine/RV water hose & Pressure regulator
Blocks to level the TT (a few for under the wheels, and under the stabilizers)
A small level (for leveling the TT)
Bottle jack to change a tire (and lug nut wrench)
WDH with sway control
Good auxiliary mirrors (it’s nice to see)
Toilet chemicals
As for dishes, I like plastic (they don’t break)
Various pots and pans, I get cheaper ones and leave them in the TT, and I place paper or towels between them so they do not rattle and scratch things as you drive down the road.
A small broom, I like the ones that have expandable handle and the head folds over.
I prefer to cook outside so a small lp stove and a grill of choice.

For most part, our camper stuff stays in there all year long. That way when we want to go, we tossing in the cloths and food and we are off.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #8
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (first thread in New Members forum has them all listed, second thread has more new member welcoming info). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!

Top Ten must haves (and then some) link:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ight=saltymick
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum! Jagiven has some sound advise regarding the first two trips. You'll put a list of must-haves together fairly quickly. Stay focused when you go to Camping World because it's easy to get really carried away the first few times you go in there! Also get a really good sewer hose, the best one you can afford. Leaks on fresh water hoses are frustrating enough - leaks on a sewer hose can really ruin your morning! :zombie:

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote