Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #1

First timers in TT land.

Hello all,

We are a young family of four and one large puppy. We've enjoyed many camping adventures with tents and tent trailer but have now decided( " after buying my new toy ;0) ") to step up to a TT. For the last 3 years I have been going to RV shows and dealers always looking for the latest and greatest in new trailers. I have always been drawn to the Jayco's for some reason. I am totally in like with the new White Hawks, but the dealer could not get the price down to my price point.... free. They look like a nice unit but I can't find any reviews or feedback. Still too new I guess. It would have been nice to see one at the local RV show last weekend but the dealers didn't bring one in....

Anyhow, we are ready to pull the trigger on a unit this week. But which unit. We are having a dilema about deciding on the Jay flight 28bhs or the 29qbh. We love the big slide and 4 bunks on the 29qbh but it's a weight thing. I Know my truck will pull it but its close to maxing out my max allowable weight when loaded. I'll leave my next question for another thread in the TT forum.

I'm glad there is a site like this to find info and share info for such a great hobby. I look forward to chating with many of you I'm sure. Tips and suggestions are always welcome.

Cheers
Crewmaniacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum Crewmaniacs!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum and TT land crewmaniacs. When you say close to maxing out your weight, just how close are you? I always used the 10% figure when we towed, if I was 91% or closer we took that unit off our shortlist. That being said having the large bunkroom would be very useful. It'll give the kids their own space when when you and DW want to stay up late or get up early or on rainy days, and be handy when the kids want to bring friends along. The 29 has a smaller sofa, but a larger dinette so that's a wash IMO. Good luck with your decision.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Jayco forums , and you will find a lot of good information here for your Jayco.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #5

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #6

Well, we finally made up our minds. We are going with the Whitehawk 28dsbh. This unit should fit our family now and for future needs as the kids grow. That was a painfull 2 months trying to figure out what trailer to get, but we finally got'er done. We have booked camping trips from April to Oct so it will get some good use pretty quick.

PS. Awesome website. Thanks for eveyones help. Happy camping to all.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #7

Congratulations Crewmaniacs. If my count is right, you'll be the 4th Whitehawk owner. When do you get the TT? Please take some pics!

...and don't forget to fill in Crabman's poll on TTs

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #8

Two months isn't bad considering all the time you and the family will be enjoying it. Get it right the first time . Glad you found something that'll meet your needs. The 2 bathroom doors on the 28BHDS will be convenient. Congrats!!!!
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Congratulations Crewmaniacs. If my count is right, you'll be the 4th Whitehawk owner. When do you get the TT? Please take some pics!

...and don't forget to fill in Crabman's poll on TTs
Yup put my vote in for the poll. It worked out well as the dealer had one on order and should be hear in a couple weeks or less. Planing a 4 day weekend in April for a test run. By the looks of the weather these days, the heater will get a workout.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewmaniacs View Post
Well, we finally made up our minds. We are going with the Whitehawk 28dsbh. This unit should fit our family now and for future needs as the kids grow.
Glad you went with what you really wanted! Very important that you love it from the get-go!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Yup put my vote in for the poll. It worked out well as the dealer had one on order and should be hear in a couple weeks or less. Planing a 4 day weekend in April for a test run. By the looks of the weather these days, the heater will get a workout.
Wow....gonna try some camping in April? yup that heater will get a workout for sure. I was going to do our shakedown trip in May...but we are on standby for our 1st grandchild. However we will do some camping in June and we are doing a large family camping trip for sure on the Canada Day long weekend
Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #12

Glad to see you here. My wife and I just bought the same model. I also did a ton of research but we are really confident with our decision. It will be good to hear your thoughts when you receive your unit. We pick ours up this week.
bigdaddyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyss View Post
Glad to see you here. My wife and I just bought the same model. I also did a ton of research but we are really confident with our decision. It will be good to hear your thoughts when you receive your unit. We pick ours up this week.
Did you see one in person before your decision? My dealer only had a 31 whitehawk in and we got a good feel for it but I would imagine seeing it first hand would speak volumes. I have seen the you tube links and tons of pictures but it's always different in person. If you did see it in person, what did you think of the double over double bunks. Are they as big in person as they look in pictures?

Can't wait to compare notes.

Cheers
Old 03-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #14

We saw one recently at our local rv show and were really interested in it but it is out of our weight budget. I really liked the double bunks and they were very large easily sleep two people in each bunk. You will definitely be happy and excited to see it in person. Congratulations on a great choice!
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phar0e View Post
We saw one recently at our local rv show and were really interested in it but it is out of our weight budget. I really liked the double bunks and they were very large easily sleep two people in each bunk. You will definitely be happy and excited to see it in person. Congratulations on a great choice!
Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to seeing it in person. I was hoping the bunks would be a good size, so that is good news. Can't wait for spring to get here.

Congrats on your new unit. very nice trailers the x23J.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Did you see one in person before your decision? My dealer only had a 31 whitehawk in and we got a good feel for it but I would imagine seeing it first hand would speak volumes. I have seen the you tube links and tons of pictures but it's always different in person. If you did see it in person, what did you think of the double over double bunks. Are they as big in person as they look in pictures?

Can't wait to compare notes.

Cheers
Yes we did see about four of the models in person and we purchased one they had on the lot. The Double Over Bunks are big and could easily sleep 3 small children and definitely two grown people. The top bunk has a 300lb weight limit. The top bunk is a little difficult to get in, but I'm not going to climb in and kids would have no problem. We also got the hide a bed, which is really nice for us. Two main reasons we bought that particular model Whitehawk was the bathroom is large and has a door to the outside. This provides us with a "mud room" type configuration. We also needed the weight down because my truck has a 3.21 rear end. I have a great warranty on the truck and did not want to risk pulling to large of a unit.

The only thing I really wanted was an outdoor kitchen, but I compromised because of the bathroom door. All and all we are ready to hook it up and go.

Steven, Michelle, and Ashley
2012 Whitehawk 28DSBH
2008 Dodge 1500 STX
Old 03-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Yes we did see about four of the models in person and we purchased one they had on the lot. The Double Over Bunks are big and could easily sleep 3 small children and definitely two grown people. The top bunk has a 300lb weight limit. The top bunk is a little difficult to get in, but I'm not going to climb in and kids would have no problem. We also got the hide a bed, which is really nice for us. Two main reasons we bought that particular model Whitehawk was the bathroom is large and has a door to the outside. This provides us with a "mud room" type configuration. We also needed the weight down because my truck has a 3.21 rear end. I have a great warranty on the truck and did not want to risk pulling to large of a unit.

The only thing I really wanted was an outdoor kitchen, but I compromised because of the bathroom door. All and all we are ready to hook it up and go.
I can't wait ! Ours should be here pretty soon. I'm glad to hear that the double bunks are large enough for a couple people. Should come in handy if the Mrs. and I take off for a couple days to the Gorge in Wsh St. to see Dave Mathews with another couple. Should have plenty of room. Our unit is fully loaded except for the hide-a-bed. I wanted that but the unit on order did not have it. The other thing I would have liked as an option for the 28dsbh would have been the U dinette. Hey at least there is a small bar /pop fridge.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #18

Quote:
I can't wait ! Ours should be here pretty soon. I'm glad to hear that the double bunks are large enough for a couple people. Should come in handy if the Mrs. and I take off for a couple days to the Gorge in Wsh St. to see Dave Mathews with another couple. Should have plenty of room. Our unit is fully loaded except for the hide-a-bed. I wanted that but the unit on order did not have it. The other thing I would have liked as an option for the 28dsbh would have been the U dinette. Hey at least there is a small bar /pop fridge.
I would have liked the U Dinette, but the one that is in the camper is a good size. I'm a big guy and I was comfortable while sitting in the dinette provided. Good luck and hopefully we can compare notes as time passes.

Steven, Michelle, and Ashley
2012 Whitehawk 28DSBH
2008 Dodge 1500 STX
Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #19

Quote:
So, How does your new unit look? please send feedback.

I received a call today from the dealership and our Whithawk is in. I'll drop in to have a look tonight, but it still has to go through PDI first so we are planning to pick it up next Thursday. I'm having a fantastic fan 5000 installed while it is at the dealers. Exciting times!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #20

Well we picked up our Whitehawk 28dsbh trailer on the weekend. Very cool trailer indeed. Such a big learning curve for me but I'm up for the challenge. First intial thoughts on towing this unit are better than I expected. My truck did not seem to struggle and it felt very sturdy on the road. The trailer itself tracked very well , although this is my first full size trailer so I didn't know what to expect , but overall I was very happy with the experience.
Anyhow the whole family is excited and we will be taking her out in a couple weeks for her maiden voyage. Now I need to familiarize myself more with the unit and stock it up with all the essential goodies. Camping will definitely be different this year.