Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #21
75H

Ah, classic newbie mistake I’m sure....any advice for us?[/QUOTE]

BoutTime, since you asked.....

Because there is at least two of you, get a good set of FRS radios to carry in the rig. Preferably a set that can use regular AA batteries in addition to the rechargeable batteries they may come with. These radios will help you for things like backing (one person outside spotting with a radio) and when you're seperated from each other away from cell service.

Now that you have the FRS radios, watch the bottom rear as the other of you goes in & out of a driveway somewhere where there is no traffic. A previous reply mentioned taking driveways at an angle, yes! Once you see things from outside the rig you'll get a different perspective on how close the bottom of the rig gets to the road during turning and entering/exiting straight.

It is all a learning experience. At least you didn't have to winterize the black tank!
75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody51 View Post
Any advice out there on the Outer Banks, Carolinas etc? Need to time it so we return to Rhode Island in above freezing weather so I don't have to re-winterize.
Thanks, Rhody 51
Not necessarily related specifically to this trip, but any RV trip, really. Always take your time and don't get in a rush. This is especially important to backing in to a spot, negotiating tight turns and in and out of any non-flat entry points to stores/station/etc, and most importantly when setting up and tearing down to leave. Make yourself a good hookup/unhook checklist. Include detailed steps to help you get the hang of it, including "common" things you wouldn't think you'd forget like connect/disconnect the hose/electric, over air antenna, levelling/stabilizer jacks, etc. You'd be surprised how easy it is to overlook such simple things. I still use my checklists (granted I'm a pilot and checklists are life). They've saved me a time or two from some really rookie mistakes because I was distracted while setting up or tearing down.

We were all rookies at one point and even after 15 years of doing this, I still don't consider myself an expert. Most importantly, remember it's supposed to be fun time and try to enjoy it even when it's not going the way you planned. It's definitely an adventure.

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:13 PM   #23

One other thing I'd add, always do one final walk around of the tow vehicle and TT before any movement and every fuel stop. I use this after starting my vehicle to check all lights and ensure I didn't miss taking out a wheel chock, raising a stabilizer, lowering antenna, etc. Just an extra precaution.

GL and Have Fun!

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:44 PM   #24
75H

[QUOTE=Flyingaggie;820359]One other thing I'd add, always do one final walk around of the tow vehicle and TT before any movement and every fuel stop.

Well said Tim, it is amazing what you'll find sometimes, isn't it!
75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:12 AM   #25

You can get a Flying J card that gives you discount on fuel... we like it also for the ease of entrance and exit. Don't go to "back" where truckers go as some seem to get a bit peeved when we are taking up a spot for our truck/5er ... Had one trucker pull forward and stop so we couldn't get out and a truck behind us ... he went in and took 15 minutes to come out... so everyone was stuck. Don't know why they would be upset as it takes us so little time to fill the tank compared to their truck.
W Kearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:16 AM   #26

It’s not really your fault. There’s a Conspiracy of Evil Forces which are all aligned to steal your Good Time Trip. I know this to be true because during our 16 years of full time rv life, we have been attacked over and over: Potholes/concrete poles/tree branches/tight tight spaces/many many appliance breakdowns/plumbing problems/electrical problems/other drivers/nasty weather/greedy and incompetent rv techs/a myriad of mechanical breakdowns and many minor fixes. There’s ALWAYS something! Soon you and your husband will recognize the war against evil lazy shoddy greed! Relish the struggle! Soon you will be in the Great Golden Problem Solver Circle! Just remember that your journey will require determination and Deep Pockets!��
Grandpawlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #27

No problems yet with tanks, but with our short rig we have damaged the bottom of the tongue jack twice while exiting gas stations. The dip between the station apron and street crest seems hardly noticeable but can be quite severe. Now on the second replacement jack we have installed a six dollar shoe that has worked remarkably well to skid our light trailer over such steep pitches.

Good luck with your rig and tanks! Glad it wasn't worse. RVing has it's hazards and adventures but we have found it well worth the problems - water leaks, broken leaf spring, hail damage. It's all part of the experience, just as it was with our tent - like tying it the the bumper of the car in 55 mph winds.

You will no doubt find many more kind people in your travels who are willing and ready to pick up and help out when needed. Happy trails to you!
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #28

Parking lot gremlins.........they're everywhere!
Unless you are familiar or have fueled at a station before.............stick to truck stops. Plenty of room, many amenities. If you use diesel and fuel at the truck pumps always pull ahead before going inside. Give the waiting semi drivers a break.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #29

Heck even the best plans go awry, let me see if you are all familiar with Bucee's in Texas and on an expansion huge lot no semis aloud plenty of room right? Well there is one in Texas that is definitely like a mom and pop small store brand new but parking lot not so much pull in one way in one way out granted they were adding a bunch of pumps but still, same trip stop at truck stop only have gas truck so pull up to gas island or attempt to and go to last row so as not to block people uh 3 foot drop off have to make a few charming manuvers got that done. Note to self stay out of Dollar General they have the same issue one way in one way out glad they are not too busy. Used to have 30 foot class C and no telling how many times the hitch on back scraped, had travel trailer that I lucked out on as the plumbing hung really low well whole trailer was low never hit anything on the bottom of it luck of the draw..Like has been said every trip is a learning experience so just sit back and enjoy
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #30

Yeah, another thing we learned (by my following with a car when we were taking back to storage) is that when turning right we have to be especially careful as the coach leans to the left. I noticed that the plumbing comes within just a few inches of the ground on right turns. That, incidentally, is what we were doing when the accident happened ;-)
‘19 Jayco Greyhawk 26Y
2 GSD’s
BoutTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, newbie help