Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2022, 08:11 AM   #1

Generator

Hey Everyone,
New to this forum, and owning 1st travel trailer....bought a 2023 Jayco Jayfeather.....from tongue to spare tire on the back, it's 28.5 ft., but inside is about 24'... has 1 AC.....can anyone tell me how you choose the right size generator for boondocking if I want to power the entire trailer?
Thanks,
Chuck
Chuckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:04 AM   #2

30 amp trailer x 120 volt = 3600 watts.
There is a product called soft start that is supposed to lower the amps the ac unit requires. Some will tell you that you can get away with a 2000 watt genny with the soft start. And don’t use the microwave or other large draw at the same time.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:17 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply.....if I happen to have a larger gen. that shouldn't hurt anything, correct?
Old 10-26-2022, 10:21 AM   #4

Chuckh, we use a Honda EU2200i that has been converted to run off propane. Some would ask why? It all comes down to use case scenarios.

1. Ask what can run off propane:
  • water heater (when 120v is on this can take 5-9amps)
  • refrigerator (if dual not 12v) (when on 120v or auto, this can take 10amps)
  • main heater (fan does use a decent amount of amps when running)
  • stove/oven/outdoor kitchen
2. What 120v items do I need to run at the same time:
  • AC (can be anywhere from 11amps to 20 while running even with a soft start)
  • Microwave (can easily run 15-20 amps)
  • Hair dryer (these are crazy and will take 25amps on full depending on HD size)
  • TV (if 120v, most lately have been 12v) (these are lower amp use)
3. Just remember if something is 12v that it will have some draw on the generator as well when its running as the converter will handle the 12v items. But also know when taking showers having 120v and propane elements on for hot water ensure that you dont run out of hot water but are limited on grey water storage size. So this will take some amps as well if you do this.

We (and most RV'ers) have learned that it all comes down to amps. You are limited by that. Even when plugged into a full 30amp plug you can easily go over amps and trip something. Our Huges Watchdog helps with this and protects us, and allows for resetting via their phone app.

So when we use the generator we just watch it close, if we need hairdryer we turn other things off. If we want AC we just run everything on propane and try not to use anything else so the trailer stays cool. Or we kick on the solar/inverter to do this as well so we dont use/need the generator. But a generator is much cheaper!

With a softstart you can run everything you need, but you usually can never run all of them at the same time anyway. So for convenience and weight we have a smaller generator that only weighs 45ish pounds.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:24 AM   #5

Larger does not hurt, but there is a point that it’s too much waste. Also, generators perform best under load. Too much capacity = too little load and a more inefficient operation.

Anything in the 4K range is more than sufficient to run a full load on 30 amps without a soft start. AC, microwave, electric water heater, etc. A soft start is great though because it takes the number 1 startup hog, your AC, out of the equation by really reducing how much you need and evening out your power spikes.

That said, you won’t get much time on a propane tank or 5 gallons of gas running your AC. A full 20 pound propane tank might last a day, maybe a bit more, if the AC is run all day.
sgtkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:39 AM   #6

Ah, thanks Tom.....I hadn't even thought of the running it off the propane.....guess I should of asked more questions when I bought it.....thank again
Old 10-26-2022, 10:42 AM   #7

Thanks Sarge, lots to know....a friend of mine who just purchased an Airstream said to get two of the 3300 generators and connect them together with a parallel cord...but that may be too much I'm assuming...
Old 10-26-2022, 11:04 AM   #8

Your friends Airstream may have 50amp service (if they have to AC units), two of those for 30amp is way overkill and a lot to lug around.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:29 PM   #9

Don't forget that there are many State & Natl Parks, Natl Forests,etc campgrounds that limit or even prohibate generator usage. For that and other reasons many have upgraded their solar systems. Of course the one big limiting factor is the AC.

For me, spending the $ on an AC soft start is certainly worth avoiding the hassel of carting around a bigger and noiser generator.
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 06:17 PM   #10

Thanks for your reply...