Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #1

Talking Got it home!

I parked our new 2011 Jay Flight 26RLS beside the house this afternoon. So far I am impressed with the quality of this unit that did not break the bank. We wanted a camper with swivel rockers that didn't make us think we were hauling the house with us when we go camping. Almost everything else is over 30', but found this one and it is less than 30', by an inch, but still less.

The DW and I have been camping since right after being hitched and our DD took her first camping trip when she was 7 weeks old (turns 11 yrs old next week) and been going ever since.

I am finishing repairs on a Starcraft we purchased a few years ago. The previous owner assured me it was in good shape, boy was he wrong. The thing had leaked on both front and rear roof cap joints. It is now a very solid camper, but has bunk beds and our DD doesn't care for them, so I convinced my DW we needed a new camper and she went for it.:hihi:

I actually sat in the new trailer this afternoon for a couple of hours listening to the radio and reading all the owner's manuals that came with the unit. The swivel rockers are actually pretty comfortable. I am looking forward to our maiden trip hopefully next month.
RPegram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum, RPegram! Now let's see some pictures of that new baby!

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, RPegram! Enjoy that new Jayflight.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #4

Welcome to the Jayco Family
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum RPegram and congrats on getting your 2011 Jay Flight 26RLS home. Enjoy the maiden voyage.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #6

Hey, Hello. Enjoy. I think I would like the swivels in our next TT.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum. There is nothing like the feeling of taking a new trailer home.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #8

Welcome and congrats.

I'm sure you and the family will enjoy...going down the road to having fun.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'll try to get a few photos up soon, raining here in eastern NC right now.

SecretCoveDave, the swivel rockers were a requirement for our trailer. I'm an early riser and many times will be up 2-3 hours before others and wanted somewhere to sit while waiting on the rest to start our day. The rest of the day will be spent outside, but the first few hours are spent sitting listening to music. Once we decided on a floor plan we liked, we started looking at all the different brands out there. One thing I noticed were most of the TT's with rockers all came with a lot of bells and whistles. I also noticed with the addition of bells, quality could be sacrificed. I come from a long history of mechanical everything and stick and tin construction, so we leaned more towards this type of unit. After lots of research on construction, Jayco started rising to the top. We had to drive nearly 5 hours to take a look at this unit, but once stepping inside, I'm glad we did. When you start comparing "entry level trailers", which most manufacturers label their stick and tin, this Jay Flight seems to stand out. Since this is "last years model", the dealer was anxious to move it, so the deal was a big help also.

Already making plans for a few mods. I want to take out the privacy curtain to the bedroom and replace with a door I will make. I will hang my PVC fence post I use to store the sewer hose in and still deciding on if I want to add my cargo carrier I currently have on the Starcraft. It mounts to the chasis and not the bumper, so no rotational force is put on the bumper. I have also thought about installing a hitch under the bumper and mounting a three bike carrier. The hitch would be mounted to trailer chasis, with just a little support from the bumper. I will definitely be changing out that high quality AC thermostat with a digital Hunter version. I don't consider it a mod, but high up the list is putting Eternabond on all seams and penetrations in roof. If I can possibly help it one thing thing this camper will never do is leak. I am also adding a slide topper and am just waiting on it to come in so I can put it on.

I got a few weeks before the maiden voyage, so I plan on getting some of this done.
RPegram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #10

Thanks RP, I get up earllier than DW as well. Like the idea of the door to Brm. Sounds like you will be busy but when you get a chance pictures would be nice!

Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #11

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum RPegram! Congrats on your new tt!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #12

Welcome RPegram. We have the same unit and love it. We traveled over 7000 miles last summer to visit family and take on some sight seeing tours along the way. When we bought our unit we had a few wants in mind. We had traded in a PUP so we wanted the open feel. We wanted a large window, u shaped dinette, an oven, a tub shower and a walk around bed. This unit fit the bill without having the longer length. I am anxious to hear how you put in a door to the bedroom.

I hope you enjoy it and love it as much as we have.

Take care.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #13

My wife and I are picking up our new 2012 26RLS at 9 am tomorrow morning! Only problem is that we are taking it to the storage yard soon as we get it, although the way the weather has been here, we may be able to take it out one of these weekends. Looking forward to alot of fun times in it!
Jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #14

Congrats on the new TT. Enjoy!
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #15

Well, it's been a while and we've used the camper a couple of times now. Most is going well. Sadly, the microwave and stove both were DOA. I'm a little upset the dealer didn't catch these two things. Other than these, we've had a blast in the unit. The space is unreal. That deep slide makes it feel like a double wide mobile home. I added a 4" memory foam mattress topper from WallyWorld, and wow, that thing sleeps good. I don't think I've ever seen a fridge keep things so cold, have to keep it turned down to 3 so bottles of water don't freeze. The TT tows easy and can't really see much of a drop in fuel mileage. I tow with a 3500 Dodge diesel, so wasn't worried of TV handling the trailer. Our previous TT had almost no outside storage, so this was great with this one. One of our first family outings I actually had empty bed space in truck. Our last trip, the temps were great and all those windows really came in handy and trailer stayed nice all day with the breeze blowing through. I try and add a couple of pics of the trailer set up and the DW and DD finishing a nice dinner one evening.

If pics don't show, here's some links:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1034145...65822931008146
https://picasaweb.google.com/1034145...66176986065058
Old 04-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
Site Team

Nice looking unit! Agree that the dealer should have tested and found the stove and microwave issues.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPegram View Post
Sadly, the microwave and stove both were DOA. I'm a little upset the dealer didn't catch these two things.

If pics don't show, here's some links:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1034145...65822931008146
https://picasaweb.google.com/1034145...66176986065058
I'd be more than a little upset. If you look at the factory invoice, you paid several hundred dollars for dealer prep, probably close to $500. I have never had our dealer not check out everything to be sure it was working before we took delivery.

Sounds like you got them fixed, so now enjoy.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #18

welcome

congrats on the new tt and welcome from california
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPegram View Post
The DW and I have been camping since right after being hitched and our DD took her first camping trip when she was 7 weeks old (turns 11 yrs old next week) and been going ever since.
My DS got a tent for his very first birthday. He's 18 now. Boy, it goes fast!
mtbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #20

We just got home form taking our 26RLS out for the second time. We added a foam topper to the mattress and it is quite comfy. I agree with you about the fridge. Very cold, turned it down to 3. Went to dump the black tank today and the screw that holds the clamp that the T handle goes thru snapped right off. No big deal, more of an aggravation. Not going out for 3 weeks so will fix it soon. So far, love the new trailer.
Jebster is offline   Reply With Quote