Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #1

Greetings from iowa

First time travel trailer owner. My backstory is that the wife and I were tent camping, even with two kids, but decided that it would be easier and make more memories if we got a camper. So we booked a camping site with other family members for Memorial Day weekend with the intention of getting a camper to put in that site. Not only did we get a 2015 X213 but also upgraded the towning vehicle from a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer to a 2014 Ford F-150 XLT SCrew.

After our "shakedown cruise" this past weekend, we found a few things that needed to be addressed.

I ordered a mattress topper today because, well, my back demanded it after a few nights on the stock mattress. We also found out that Jayco didn't run RCA cables to where the TV mounts so when I got the camper back home to unload stuff I pulled the entertainment unit and microwave and fished an RCA cable through. didn't like the fact that the system wasn't set up to play DVDs from the factory but since I'm an engineer I'm not adverse to attempting my hand at fixing the problem.

The wife and I decided that we will order a new set of 2-riser steps to replace the 1-riser step. We got the 2 inch lift option and the one step is a little too high for our 3 1/2 year old.

I also wanted to get a pair of K-Source clip on towing mirrors but there is apparently a nationwide backorder for those, so no luck for me.

We have a trip into the Land of Lincoln in a little over a week which will be our first trip with just my family. i will attempt the drive (and succeed, because that's a must) without towing mirrors. I believe the phrase "slow and steady wins the race" is appropriate in that situation.

Anyway, I've browsed this forum for awhile and finally decided to join in the fun. I really like the mods I've seen on this site for the X213 but I will wait to do any so I don't void my factory warranty.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:03 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new TT, vehicle, and sleeping off the ground!

It appears you've already joined the ranks of 'moders' and getting your trailer to become what you really want it to be. Modding is a never ending process for some.

And, of course, welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:16 AM   #3

Congratulations on the new TT and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:30 AM   #4

Congratulations, and welcome to The Forum. Most of us were tent campers at one time in our lives. You'll never regret moving up to a trailer . . . or joining the JOF!