Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #1

Post heading to Sturgis

The hubby and I just got a Jayco Baja pop up camper with the deck on the front. The dealer said it was capable of hauling an atv or a motorcycle.
After getting it home, it is not quite big enough for my Harley to sit straight. It looks like she will fit at an angle (fingers crossed). My question is Has anyone else successfully hauled a Harley on one of these decks??? I am so nervous!
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #2

Is there a capacity rating specifically for the deck? If so, does your bike weight exceed this rating? Are there factory tie-downs (D-Rings) installed on the deck?
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

D rings are all in place, the weight is good but the bike is longer then the deck is wide so we have to load it an angle meaning the D rings will be at odd positions in accordance with the bike.Will this affect the tie down procedures or stability of the bike in transit?
Old 07-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #4

Well I'll be darned... I had never seen a Baja and had to Google to see the deck. That's pretty cool.

I realize this may be rank heresy to suggest this, but you may need something smaller than a Harley. Which Harley are you trying to fit on there?

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #5

LOL @ 'something smaller then a Harley'! I am trying to fit my 2014 Heritage.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #6

I have a 12HFD which has a similar deck and they are built like a tank. What you will have to do is buy a motorcycle wheel chock stand that can be bolted to the deck. There are various models available online, some have tie down points that will keep things straight up front. The hard part will be getting the bike up on the trailer deck since its so high off the ground, I use my deck to carry a small aluminum trailer that carries a zodiac inflatable boat. It only weighs about 300 lbs but its a job to drag up the ramps, maybe with two people and some sort of step to walk up on will help steady you and the bike going up the ramp.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
D rings are all in place, the weight is good but the bike is longer then the deck is wide so we have to load it an angle meaning the D rings will be at odd positions in accordance with the bike.Will this affect the tie down procedures or stability of the bike in transit?
If there is plenty of room for the bike as far as length, and you can tie it down with equal tension on four straps I personally wouldn't see a problem. In my opinion, securing the bike properly would matter more than the angle the bike is sitting on the deck.

Have fun in Sturgis, we've been twice and if you've never been you are in for some awesome riding.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #8

This will be our second time. I didn't take my bike the first time and got stuck hauling the camper while my hubby rode. This time I am least gonna have MY bike with me! I was jealous watching him ride up there but the way home 6 hours of rain on hwy 90 while I was stuck in the cage nice and dry was kinda funny
Old 07-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #9

I believe you are close to 780-800 pounds with that bike. I'd make sure the truck can handle the tongue weight. Have a great time. I wish I had a good way to travel with my TT and bike.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #10

Not much help from me. We always rode to Sturgis. Sorry...

Tags
baja, deck, haul, motorcycle, strap down