Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #1

Hello from central Florida

Hello all! New to the big RVing world and happy to find a group of owners with similar equipment. Only had the Seismic 4113 for just over a week and camped for 3 days. Nice and comfortable. The only question I canít find an answer to is this. I need to charge the batteries and canít get the 50amp run till next week. Can I plug it in to the 120 house just to charge the batteries? Does it have a battery charger for that application and what indications will I have inside that shows Iím getting a charge? Ok thatís more than one question but it all goes together. I know how to use the generator and see the auto switching taking place. I also see the volts jump to about 13.6 when the gen is on and the inverter goes from battery to electric symbol.

Thanks for your useful responses.
BigRig2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:14 AM   #2

Congratulations and welcome!

You can plug into the house to charge the batteries, but be sure to use a heavy duty cord and don't try to run the a/c units. There's a charger in the converter that will take care of topping off the batteries.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:44 AM   #3

Welcome from York County, South Carolina!

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #4

Thanks for your time and response Rob and Kelly (puppies too). When it’s plugged into the 20 amp, should the charger do better than 12volts? Everything except the hot busses are powered off. If they are off (the hot busses), I would think the converter would be off as well. I switched the inverter off due to the refrigerator being the only thing continuously running on that. It’s been plugged in for about 14 hours and it’s showing 11.9-12. I know this is not rocket science but I can’t find the schematics showing what has priority and if there is a minimum source requirement.
BigRig2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #5

Welcome from Wisconsin and enjoy your Seismic.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig2 View Post
Thanks for your time and response Rob and Kelly (puppies too). When itís plugged into the 20 amp, should the charger do better than 12volts? Everything except the hot busses are powered off. If they are off (the hot busses), I would think the converter would be off as well. I switched the inverter off due to the refrigerator being the only thing continuously running on that. Itís been plugged in for about 14 hours and itís showing 11.9-12. I know this is not rocket science but I canít find the schematics showing what has priority and if there is a minimum source requirement.
I don't remember checking to see what my charger was doing when plugged into the house. I do know that I didn't turn any of the breakers off, just didn't turn anything but a light of two on. I don't believe we had a residential fridge at the time, so keeping it running wasn't a concern, but it would should have been fine on a 20A line.

Keep in mind too that your changer is likely multi-stage, so once the batteries are topped off it will only be trickle charging to keep them topped off.

You most likely don't have wiring schematics. I got them from Jayco for our previous unit, but they wouldn't give them to me for the Pinnacle until it was out of warranty.

Hope this helps!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote