Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #1

Hello from Dexter, MI

New to the forum here. I've been finding some useful information to help guide my purchase process. My family is moving up from a '99 Coleman Bayside popup to a '16 Jay Flight 27BHS TT.

I've been shopping the online stores (Indiana RV Connection, RV Express). Has anyone had success in price matching with General RV or their local dealer?
Old 02-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #2

Hello from AZ & a former MI resident.

Congratulations on the new Jay Flight and welcome to the JOF.

I bought my TT from Indiana RV Connection and towed it back to AZ. Great price & smooth transaction. All the local RV dealers (ie salesmen) I met were sucky so never made it to the price matching step.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #3

Have you had any issues getting warranty work done doing that?
Old 02-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #4

Welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeras View Post
Have you had any issues getting warranty work done doing that?
NO problem at all! ALL the SERVICE (warranty and other work) at Affinity RV in Prescott Valley, AZ has been awesome!

It's a shame, really, that their sales dept. was, in my experience, sub par. They might have had the sale, too, and saved me a ~3,600 mile round trip.

But, in all fairness, I was disappointed with the sales staff I encountered at every RV dealer.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #6

General RV was good at matching the low online pricing I got, only problem was they didn't have what I wanted and it could not be built till late last summer. I ended up buying at Haylett RV in Coldwater maybe an hour from you, they beat General RV price and had the model I was looking for.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #7

Welcome aboard
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #8
Site Team

Hi from NYS.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:41 AM   #9

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!

I can't recall exactly what the prices we were quoted from the 2 "on line" dealers, but once I figured in the gas needed to go pick the trailer up, my time, the cost of the wdh, etc we easily received as good of a deal from a somewhat local dealer. The closest dealer just didn't seem like they wanted to work with/for us, so we went a little further out.

Make sure you get a good wdh (weight distribution hitch) w/ integrated away control. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the money. The DC is a little more finicky to set up, and if the tw (tongue weight) changes a fair amount (empty fresh water tank vs full- if tank is in front of axles). The SC and 4 way are very similar. But the Reese hitch head (same for both models) does offer a little more fine tuning than the 4 way model. Can't go wrong with either of them though! Just make sure to get the correct rated bars for your loaded tw.

Verify you get all the paper work for the wdh!!! And even if the dealer sets it up, chances are you will need to re-adjust the wdh once you load the trailer up for a trip!!! Follow the links in my signature for a ton of info regarding the wdh!!!

Also make sure your tv (tow vehicle) is capable of towing the 27BH. The "brochure" weights do not include options, even those that are "mandatory". And the dry tongue/hitch weight does not include the weight of the propane tanks or a battery. This will add ~160lbs for 2-30lb tanks and a battery. All passengers, any cargo (coolers, firewood, etc) in the tv, any accessories added to the tv after it left the factory (tonneau cover, topper, step bars, etc), the wdh, AND the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) should be less than the amount shown in the drivers door jamb. The yellow sticker will state the actual payload for your vehicle.

If you don't have a factory brake controller, both the Prodigy P2 and P3 models are very good. I was going to replace our old time based model with a P2, but we bought a new truck with a factory controller!

Make sure everything works as it should before signing the papers. Tires are aired up to max sidewall pressure.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!

I can't recall exactly what the prices we were quoted from the 2 "on line" dealers, but once I figured in the gas needed to go pick the trailer up, my time, the cost of the wdh, etc we easily received as good of a deal from a somewhat local dealer. The closest dealer just didn't seem like they wanted to work with/for us, so we went a little further out.

Make sure you get a good wdh (weight distribution hitch) w/ integrated away control. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the money. The DC is a little more finicky to set up, and if the tw (tongue weight) changes a fair amount (empty fresh water tank vs full- if tank is in front of axles). The SC and 4 way are very similar. But the Reese hitch head (same for both models) does offer a little more fine tuning than the 4 way model. Can't go wrong with either of them though! Just make sure to get the correct rated bars for your loaded tw.

Verify you get all the paper work for the wdh!!! And even if the dealer sets it up, chances are you will need to re-adjust the wdh once you load the trailer up for a trip!!! Follow the links in my signature for a ton of info regarding the wdh!!!

Also make sure your tv (tow vehicle) is capable of towing the 27BH. The "brochure" weights do not include options, even those that are "mandatory". And the dry tongue/hitch weight does not include the weight of the propane tanks or a battery. This will add ~160lbs for 2-30lb tanks and a battery. All passengers, any cargo (coolers, firewood, etc) in the tv, any accessories added to the tv after it left the factory (tonneau cover, topper, step bars, etc), the wdh, AND the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) should be less than the amount shown in the drivers door jamb. The yellow sticker will state the actual payload for your vehicle.

If you don't have a factory brake controller, both the Prodigy P2 and P3 models are very good. I was going to replace our old time based model with a P2, but we bought a new truck with a factory controller!

Make sure everything works as it should before signing the papers. Tires are aired up to max sidewall pressure.

Good luck!
I've looked at the Reese Dual Cam on etrailer. I am thinking I will need the 1200 TW model. I will have to look at the others.

My TV is a '15 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab. My payload is 1843, and I'm estimating my TW will be around 1000 (~12%). That should leave me with enough capacity for my family of 4 and our stuff in the cab. I probably won't be able to pack much in the truck bed (maybe light bulky items or kids bikes), but the TT will have about 1800 capacity after options, LP, battery, etc. are accounted for. That should be enough. I estimated about 1400 of gear (which will probably be low, but I will have some margin there).

I had a Prodigy with my pop up on an '03 Explorer that worked well for me there. I have the integrated brake now in my TV.

I definitely will have to visit the scales on my first trip out.

Thanks.
bakeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #11

Bakeras,

Missed your post, sorry for the delay reply!!!

Probably a good thing going with the 1200lb bars. Can't see you needing more than those, but the &00lb probably would be undersized.

How often do you think you will travel with a full vs empty fwt? Only ask because the DC can be finicky and may need adjustment when full vs empty fwt (unless tank is over the axles). Other than that it is a great system!

Do you have the 5.3/6spd in your truck? What axle ratio? If the 3.42, I don't see you having any issues power wise towing the 27 BH. With our '10 Chevy 1500 ccsb 5.3/6spd/3.42 4x4 towing ~7200lbs we had no issues here in Mi, even the long, continuous incline just north of West Branch on I75. Just let the motor breath and it will do its job. Our truck was ever so slightly loosing speed in 4th gear, dropped the trans to 3rd and I had to actually back off as I started to exceed about 70 when I looked down! We did have some stuff in the bed, probably put us over the gvwr of the truck by about 200lbs. That's the reason we now have a 2500HD, payload.

I was, and am still amazed how smooth the factory ibc works!!! Just is an awesome unit!!!! One thing you may need to watch is the stock tires in the truck. P rated tires can have what I call the "P rated wiggle". Due to the tw of a tt the sidewalls of the tires will flex some, and cause a slight wiggle. Almost like two people are pushing towards each other against the back sides of the truck bed, causing the rear to "wiggle" back and forth. LT tires will solve that, even if just LR C's depending on your set up. Air your factory tires up to max sidewall pressure (44lbs???) when towing.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #12

Welcome aboard!!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #13

need-a-vacation:

I have the 5.3 6 speed, 3.42. I agree. I think the TV and TT are a good match weight and power wise. I will need to be careful on my packing.

Good info about the tires. I have P tires now. I will have to see how they handle and decide if/when I want to get new ones.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #14

Not sure of your tire size, but I bought a set of the Cooper A/T3's LR C for our '10-1500 and was very happy with them!!! Great in all weather conditions, except I never tried the "off road mud". Numerous trips to Northern Mi and Soo, Ontario area snowmobiling, rain, dry, etc.... I was very pleased with them. And a 50k (or 55k) mile warranty for the LT's also!!! Still trying to wear the pos stock GY RSA (or whatever they are) on the HD. I hate tire shopping!!! Lol

Payload will be the toughest obstacle. Just don't load a 1/2 cord of firewood in the bed and you should be ok! Lol