Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #1

Hello from Mississippi - Need input on Jay Feather 25BH

Hello Everyone!
My husband, Scott and I are purchasing our first travel trailer. We are looking at a Jay Feather 25BH and will be towing with a 2004 Ford Expedition. It has the standard tow package but we are going to upgrade it to the heavy duty tow package. I was wondering if any owners of this Jay Feather was out there and could tell us anything we need to know. Also I will read a lot of your threads but where does everyone buy their hoses, antifreeze, tissue, etc from. I realize the start up can be quite expensive. So I have googled and found some great deals (1/2 the price of some retailers). Thanks and Happy Camping!
DragonflyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Team

WELCOME TO JOF!!!

The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

I can not comment on the 25 BH, but I do have an EAGLE 284BHS and we love it!!!! I am sure others with the same model will jump in and fill you in with some information.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #3

Welcome!

You're right, the initial start up costs are high, but in the long run I believe they are well worth the cost. Depending on the Walmart, they may have a decent camping section where you can get the basics like water & sewer hoses, chemicals, etc. If they don't have it, Amazon is your friend.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #4

Welcome aboard
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #5

WELCOME TO JOF! The dealer where you will be getting it from should give you some of the things that you are going to need but of course I did went out and bought some more.

I bought the clear adapter for my waste water hook up so I can see when my tank is clear of waste, etc, this is ours first time out and we believe that we done good on getting things, little things to make our camping more pleasurable.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:07 PM   #6

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #7

Dragon,

Welcome and congrats on your first rig!!!

As for accessories, Walmart and Amazon will be your best friend.

I have bought the following at Walmart:
Camco sewer hose kit. Comes with a transparent elbow, and the "doughnut", plus 2-10' hoses for under $30. Last I knew the online price was about $22, and the store matched it.
50a male to 30a female adapter and a 15a male to 30a female adapter. Both are about 1' long.
90* elbow for the fresh water hose so it doesn't bend/kink where it connects at the camper.
Water pressure regulator- though the camco one is a cheap, entry level model.

Amazon:
Fridge retainer spring bars for the outdoor fridge. Keeps drinks in place. No issues with food in the inside fridge.

Available at either or other stores like Menards:
30a extension cord. Sometimes you may need a longer cord to reach the electric pedestal.
Fresh water hose. How much you carry depends on where you camp. We actually have 160' total: 2-50', 2-25', and a 10'. I have actually used more than that to get water from 2 sites over that a friend was on that had water h/u, our site didn't.
Wheel chocks- you need a set of 4.
Some form of boards or "Lego blocks" to level the trailer side to side. I use 2x10's. Have two long enough for both wheels to fit on, then cut a third one in half. Treated boards from a lumber yard obviously. Cut an angle on the ends.

Optional:
Awning mat.
Water jug. May need once trailer is set up if you run out of water.
Fire tongs & poker/ hot dog forks.
Bacon grease/ paper towel- great fire starters!!!
One thing I need to still get, and electrical management system. Will protect from surges, over/under voltage, and more depending on the model.
The normal camp chairs, grill, possibly an ez up, etc....

We use household toilet paper.
To winterizing with the antifreeze, you do not want to buy the stuff that has ethanol in it, only the glycol. So check the bottle for which type it is.

I probably missed something.

Hope this helps you get started!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #8

Thank you for the input and adding me!

We are excited to be owning a Jayco. We will pick it up sometime this week so I will post some pictures. Here is one picture I took of me on the top bunk. And yes it is difficult to get up there without a ladder. I hope Jayco does something with this issues because they do not offer an optional bunk ladder. But I am very excited to have the outside kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7230.jpg  
Old 09-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #9

Sorry I can't figure out how to make the picture correct.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #10

Is this a new trailer (or at least buying from a dealer if not)? Have you already negotiated the wdh? If not (or even if so), make sure it is one with integrated sway control. The side mounted sway bars generally need to be removed when making very sharp turns (usually when backing into a campsite).

Also, once the trailer is loaded, you may need to readjust the wdh. The dealer is only setting up the wdh to an empty trailer. If needed, follow the link in my signature for the wdh how to. Tons of info!!!

If at a dealer, make sure you go through the unit with a fine tooth comb. Some units have minor issues as that is one area the RV industry can and should improve, so check it out closely!

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:26 PM   #11

When we got our first Jayco (25RKS) the dealer gave us 20% off on everything in his store, for 30 days.

However, they threw in a "ready to camp" kit with the new unit...

Toilet paper and tank chemicals.
Tee Shirts and hats (Jayco)
Coffee Mugs.
Fresh water hose.
Electric cable adapters (30a to 15a and 50a to 30a).
Extra water filter element.
Jayco zippered bag to hold all of the papers and little parts (like the TV remote).

We bought a water pressure regulator and a 30a surge protector. We also had the install 2 12v oscillating wall fans as part of the deal - no extra charge.

Note, make sure that you do your PDI first thing in the morning, everything should be running, and the fresh water tank filled, so that when they adjust the weight distribution and anti-sway the trailer is at a realistic weight.

The early AM PDI gives the dealer time to fix what is found before you leave the lot.

Enjoy!!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #12

Thank you! We are getting a hitch in the deal from the dealer. Thanks we will read about the hitch adjustment. We needed to know that.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #13

Great for the early am tip. That really helps. This salesman said they got away from the "cheap' Starter kit and just give a $50 gift card to their RV Store for supplies.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #14

Well, I don't know about cheap, as the mugs, and hats were from Jayco, so I doubt that the dealer paid for them! lol

By the way, Charmin Ultra Soft tested as the best toilet paper for RV toilets. Dissolves fast and completely... just thought you should know!

2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyChick View Post
We are excited to be owning a Jayco. We will pick it up sometime this week so I will post some pictures. Here is one picture I took of me on the top bunk. And yes it is difficult to get up there without a ladder. I hope Jayco does something with this issues because they do not offer an optional bunk ladder. But I am very excited to have the outside kitchen.
Outdoor kitchen is AWesome! We love ours, was a must have requirement. Welcome to the insanity.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #16
Site Team

One important note that dealers usually do not tell you... if you keep your TT at home or a storage area without being hooked up to 110VAC power between outings, remove the 30 amp inline fuse by the battery box. If you do not remove it, the CO alarm, radio circuit board, and fridge circuit board in the TT will kill your battery in less than 2 weeks. Have the dealer show you where it is.

Some members install a battery cutoff switch to make it easy.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyChick View Post
Hello Everyone!
My husband, Scott and I are purchasing our first travel trailer. We are looking at a Jay Feather 25BH and will be towing with a 2004 Ford Expedition. It has the standard tow package but we are going to upgrade it to the heavy duty tow package. I was wondering if any owners of this Jay Feather was out there and could tell us anything we need to know. Also I will read a lot of your threads but where does everyone buy their hoses, antifreeze, tissue, etc from. I realize the start up can be quite expensive. So I have googled and found some great deals (1/2 the price of some retailers). Thanks and Happy Camping!
Welcome and good luck with your new TT! We're enjoying our first season with our new Jay Feather 23RLSW, and just love it.

X3 or X4 on Walmart. Yes, you're going to spend some $$$ as you get started, but it's worth it. Walmart has most everything you'll need, and if it's not on the shelf in the store then order it online and use in-store pickup - shipping is FREE.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #18

He was talking about they gave cheap hoses in the kit that would break. He hasn't mentioned hats or shirts but maybe we will get some Jayco shirts and hats would be great
Old 09-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #19

Great thanks. We almost bought that same TT. I do love the quality of Jayco.