Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2016, 11:30 PM   #1

Hello From South Dakota

Hello all! I'm excited and nervous to buy my first TT this weekend. I plan on buying a 2005 Jayflight 23fb...nervous because I do not know if I have enough truck to handle it. I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado Doublecab with a 5.3 V8...I believe I have the Max Trailering Package because it came with a hitch and I have both a 4 and 7 pin connection at the bumper and an integrated brake controller that was standard on the truck. The TT I am looking at buying on Saturday has a dry weight of 6500. Any help would be appreciated!

I hope I didn't post this in the wrong place!
k_falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:55 AM   #2

Search by putting your truck model and year and then towing capacityand see what shows up. It looks like you are at 6500 lbs but you know your truck and its options. I would suggest looking into a good weight distribution hitch and not the Cheap one the dealer will sell you. There is a thread on towing in this forum that might give you better help.
mwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #3

Welcome and congrats on the rig if you go for it!!!

The biggest obstacle for a 1500 is the available payload. There is a yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb of your truck,l stating "All passengers and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs". What is the amount? As stated, all passengers, all cargo: coolers/bikes/firewood/etc, the wdh, and the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) should not exceed that weight. How much does the normal passengers weigh, and what cargo do you anticipate hauling in the bed weight wise?

The "brochure" dry weights are only a starting figure. The dry tw does not include the propane tanks or a battery on the tongue, which add about 120lbs for 2-20lb tanks and a battery, or 160lbs for 2-30lb tanks and a battery. That is even before loading the trailer up with your "stuff".

Look into a good wdh with integrated sway control. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the money. You will probably need to readjust the wdh once you load the trailer up for a trip. The dealer is only setting up the wdh for an empty trailer. Follow the links in my signature for a ton of info regarding the wdh.

Look in your glovebox on the RPO codes for the axle ratio you have. Do a google search for the Silverado gear ratio codes to match it up. Will be a GXX code. On my phone, and can't try to find it at the moment, sorry.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #4

welcome glad to have you on our site. you should have way more then enough power to pull a 23 fb . but you can go to g.m .com and check for your self.
culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote