Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

Hello / Is this typical?

Hello, my husband and I purchased a 2018 Greyhawk 30x in August 2017 and took delivery just last month after a punch list of items needed to be fixed. We are new to the RV lifestyle and loving it. We did quite a bit of research and my husband felt Jayco would be the best bet.

I am really frustrated because our first weekend out one of the hydraulic jacks leaked and now this past weekend the slide would not extend. We have another trip planned in a couple of weeks and the Jayco dealer service center is telling us they can't even look at it until January. Is this typical? Have any of you experienced this type of thing with a brand new coach?

I'm really afraid we got a lemon and don't know what to do.

Thanks,
Janis
Janis Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #2

Unfortunately you are not alone, many owners experience some "shakedown" issues with new units. The issues you describe may be related to components Jayco installs, but doesn't actually construct. And it may be something very simple in both systems you cited.

Since you are on a timetable and your selling dealer isn't able/willing to squeeze you in, you might try calling Jayco Service in Middlebury directly. Explain your issues and dealer predicament, they just might authorize a mobile RV Service Tech visit that could evaluate and repair your issues.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #3

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Is this typical? If you mean are problems with a new RV typical, then yes. Jayco and every other brand has issues. Are your specific issues - hydraulic jack leaks and slide not operating correctly - typical, then, no. If you read on this forum, some folks have had hydraulic jack leaks and some have had slide issues, but those are far from 'typical' problems, IMO.

Is the Jayco dealer service center you mention the same one you bought your Grayhawk from? If not, give that dealer you purchased from a call. If yes, then give Jayco a call. They often authorize independent RV service companies the OK to do warranty repairs.

Regarding the slide not extending: Is your unit at your home or in storage and plugged into 'shore' power? Do lights, fans, and other 12 volt items work OK? Does the slide move or make any noise at all?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #4

I forgot to welcome you also! I hope you get things resolved quickly and can enjoy your upcoming trip.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #5

Lemon?

Thank you everyone. The slide extended and retracted fine 3 days prior.

As far as electrical, all fans and lights are working however several of the ac plugs are not. It's being stored right now and I'm not sure if it's plugged in to shore power while there. Should it be?

My husband is up at the dealer right now and Jayco has authorized repair elsewhere. Once that happened the service department moved up a repair opening to next Tues. My husband is waiting to speak with the dealership owner.

Thanks again,
Janis
Old 11-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #6

Let us know how things work out. Your experiences, while unfortunate, may help another owner down the road. Let's all hope Jayco and/or your dealer get things resolved quickly and correctly.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #7

Re Plugged In: I wondered if your slide issue could be a 12 volt (battery) problem. That is why I asked about your lights etc. Trailers have battery drains that can discharge the battery in a week or so. They should be plugged in if the battery is not disconnected.

You have a Grayhawk and I don't know if they have similar battery drain issues or not and if they should be plugged in when in storage.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #8

Good to know. I'll have to let my husband know. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #9

How do you troubleshoot that? Change out the battery?
Old 11-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Let us know how things work out. Your experiences, while unfortunate, may help another owner down the road. Let's all hope Jayco and/or your dealer get things resolved quickly and correctly.
Once Jayco approved repair elsewhere, the dealership set us up with an appt next Tuesday. Jayco emailed my husband a quick guide that looks like it's usually provided to the new owner prior to PDI.

Will keep you all posted.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis Bell View Post
How do you troubleshoot that? Change out the battery?
There is a volt indicator on your control panel. Normal voltage is 12.6 volts approximately. If it indicates below 12v, you have a drained battery. Make sure you shut off your main battery disconnect (should be near the entrance door, down low?) when you leave the coach in storage, this will prevent your coach battery from draining while you are not using it.

When you are plugged into shore power or running your generator, your volt meter should read 13.5v of higher. This indicates that your battery is being charged.

If you battery voltage is too low you may not be able to operate the slides because they use a lot more power than say, the radio, tv, or interior lights.
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #12

One more comment. To set your mind at ease some. Yes, it is common for owners to experience problems when their coach is new. It's part of the deal. Many dealerships in fact offer free overnight camping for customers purchasing a new coach so that a service technican can address problems found by the owners the next day. Your issues are minor in the grand scheme of things.
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote