Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2018, 02:19 AM   #1

Hello smart people!! 😁

Just bought my first camper (95' J-1207KB pop up) today and excited for the opportunity to pick your knowledgeable brains to help get er' fixed up. I've been a part of these owners forums before and know how valuable your experienced minds can be in getting this trailer running its best. Can't wait to learn!
Beubanks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:45 AM   #2

Congratulations and welcome!
Old 03-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new to you Jayco.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #4

Welcome aboard!

That is about the age of my brothers PU

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beubanks11 View Post
Just bought my first camper (95' J-1207KB pop up) today and excited for the opportunity to pick your knowledgeable brains to help get er' fixed up. I've been a part of these owners forums before and know how valuable your experienced minds can be in getting this trailer running its best. Can't wait to learn!
I greatly respect your decision to take on this task, it won't be easy.

Hoping that despite the age, the unit is basically in sound condition. That means dry, no leaks or water damage. The mechanics of a 95 are likely to be very different than newer pop-ups so hopefully people with experience with the older ones will speak up. Is the canvas in good shape? No, then you can get sections replaced or repaired by a shop that makes boat covers.

My priorities to start would be: 1] pull and service the wheel bearings possibly replacing them all together [$100]. Unless new, you need to replace the tires. 2] check alinement of end slides. Clean and adjust as needed. 3] Plumbing is probably limited but if any exist, check all hoses and connections. 4] Test the converter and lights and fix or replace as needed. A new converter will do a better job charging and maintaining your battery. 5] Maybe this one should be a higher priority but inspect and lub the lift system. Raise and lower the top several times and have a friend help. That will allow you to listen for squeaks and jerks that would indicate binding of the cable and maybe a bad pulley. If cables are not rusted and don't show signs of fraying you are probably in good shape. Experienced people on the forum can offer advice on need to lube.

Forgot to mention the furnace. Older models typically had a pilot light that was prone to getting clogged with spider webs etc. Check the furnace at home before that first cold nite in a campground, Brrrr!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I greatly respect your decision to take on this task, it won't be easy.

Hoping that despite the age, the unit is basically in sound condition. That means dry, no leaks or water damage. The mechanics of a 95 are likely to be very different than newer pop-ups so hopefully people with experience with the older ones will speak up. Is the canvas in good shape? No, then you can get sections replaced or repaired by a shop that makes boat covers.

My priorities to start would be: 1] pull and service the wheel bearings possibly replacing them all together [$100]. Unless new, you need to replace the tires. 2] check alinement of end slides. Clean and adjust as needed. 3] Plumbing is probably limited but if any exist, check all hoses and connections. 4] Test the converter and lights and fix or replace as needed. A new converter will do a better job charging and maintaining your battery. 5] Maybe this one should be a higher priority but inspect and lub the lift system. Raise and lower the top several times and have a friend help. That will allow you to listen for squeaks and jerks that would indicate binding of the cable and maybe a bad pulley. If cables are not rusted and don't show signs of fraying you are probably in good shape. Experienced people on the forum can offer advice on need to lube.

Forgot to mention the furnace. Older models typically had a pilot light that was prone to getting clogged with spider webs etc. Check the furnace at home before that first cold nite in a campground, Brrrr!
Wow! Thanks for all the info. The canvas is newer but does need a little stitching repair. My wife and I actually ripped a seam by putting up the tent side up out of order the first time. I know a great boat canvas person so I think I've got that covered(no pun intended). The floor has a soft spot and plumbing is limited as you suspected. Cabinetry is in good shape, slides work fairly well and lift system also works smoothly. Roof has a small leak where the middle ridge is missing a portion of the cap over the screws and a screw is missing. Fairly easy fix I believe. We'll be removing most everything, redoing the subfloor and then reinstalling cabinetry with a new fresh water tank and existing hot water. (Good shape! ) I'll need help with products and components along the way as I'm not familiar. I'm a residential remodel contactor so I do have skills but not on these systems. Thanks again so much!
Old 03-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #7

I bet I have an extra harness from my King 6 in a box somewhere, rectangular 6 pin?
Old 03-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #8

Welcome to the Forum!
We have owned five popups in over the years and have had a lot of great camping and traveling experiences.
If you haven't already, check out PopUpPortal. It has a lot of members with lots of experience. http://popupportal.com/.
But stick around here and absorb the knowledge that is lurking on this forum.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:56 AM   #9

Congratulations and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:03 AM   #10
Site Team

Your remodeling experience will be very helpful also. I did that for 12 years and you learn to repair stuff without the expense and time to just replace everything. Good luck and enjoy.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #11

Another suggestion, don't over do the remodel unless you are really into retroing stuff. Clean it up, fix anything that that has or might leak, redo the running gear for a safe road experience, replace or repair anything that might affect the use ability of the unit and then get out and enjoy your PUP!!

You probably picked up the unit for just a few bucks. A restored PUP will be worth more, but not that much more so as to justify a full restoration that will be time consuming and some what expensive. You are new to owning a camper and have a great opportunity to experience the lifestyle with your family. If you enjoy it, you will get the bug and an upgrade won't be too far down the road. If you keep your repairs to the necessary items you will end up with a PUP that you and your family can enjoy without the leaks, breakdowns, and frustrations that are typical of an older rv.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Welcome to the Forum!
We have owned five popups in over the years and have had a lot of great camping and traveling experiences.
If you haven't already, check out PopUpPortal. It has a lot of members with lots of experience. http://popupportal.com/.
But stick around here and absorb the knowledge that is lurking on this forum.
Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

I was going to suggest PopUpPortal too. There are a lot of guys doing remodels/renovations over there.

One suggestion, don't go crazy buying a bunch of stuff for your Pup. A lot of stuff looks really cool or handy in the store or online, only to end up never or rarely getting used and taking up space in your garage or basement. Ask me how I know...

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #13

I have never owned a pop up, but I do have one suggestion. After your restore/repair is finished, camp in your front yard/driveway for a weekend. This will tell you what you need and do not need. That will also tell you what works and what does not. NOT FAIR going into the house to get something you forgot. The biggest thing is to have fun and welcome.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #14
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #15

For the electrical trailer hook up? It's just a 4 pin connector.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beubanks11 View Post
For the electrical trailer hook up? It's just a 4 pin connector.
That tells me that you don't have brakes on the trailer which means the brakes on the tow vehicle will be doing all the work stopping the trailer and you will have to keep that in mind and make sure you have sufficient stopping room ahead of you.

Having been both a popup and Hi-Lo owner I know how important maintenance of the lift system is. Keep it cleaned and lubed. Inspect the cables and pulleys and make sure they are in good shape. Clean the cables with a rag and if you feel the rag catching on the cables you will know there are broken strands and should be replaced. If the cables are in good shape give them and the pulleys a lube with Blaster garage door cable lube. It is a spray that leaves a waxy coating that does not attract dirt. I've bought it at Walmart. It's like bicycle chain lube.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #17

Excellent insight!! Thanks so much, this is exactly what I was hoping for.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #18

As a dad to 5 and a business to run I can't make it back on here often enough to respond to you all each individually but thank you all so much for the insight and perspectives! I'll be checking out pop up portal, streamlining my reno, greasing all moving parts and camping in the front yard the first few nights! Thanks so much again and keep it coming. I'm soaking it all in.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #19

Welcome to JOF. Enjoy your camping experiences.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote