Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #1

tv question - new member needs help

Hi All,
I have and love my 2010 Jayco 298 RLS....but we struggle with the 2nd TV in the bedroom getting signal...so my question is can I run 1 line in and get satellite on both tv's? I can get the living room tv (where the receiver is) to work but cannot get a signal on the bedroom tv. I dont mind if we have to watch the same channel on both, I just want to get the signal on the 2nd tv in the bedroom as well...

Any help would be appreciated ...

Thanks in advance for any help... AJ
AJWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #2

Short answer is "probably". How did you connect the receiver to the main tv? If it was an hdmi [or coax] that goes diretly to the tv, you won't get sat on the bedroom set. If you run the output from the receiver to the port that feeds the internal RV wiring, it will feed both sets but SD only. What receiver are you using? That will make a difference to.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #3

We have a 5th wheel and run with one satelite receiver in the living room, watching the same channel in the bedroom. You will have to make sure that it is prewired for both tv's by taking the cover plate off and checking if there is a splitter in place with one cable in (from the exterior hookup) and 2 cables out, one to the living room and the other to the bedroom. Also make sure the 12v booster is off and the bedroom tv is on channel 3 and is set for cable reception not attenna.
With our set up the remote has to be line of site so we can`t change channels unless standing in the bedroom doorway. The signal is as good as the living room after I eliminated the cable to the basement exterior changing the input signal to only being split once. Good luck hope this helps.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Similar threads combined.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:19 AM   #5

Thank you...We will be trying this today. We have struggled with this since we purchased the camper, even when we hook up to cable at a campground, we still can't figure this out... very frustrating... Thanks again we will post again on how we make out...
AJWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
Site Team

Adding A/B COAX cable switch

If you want to make a few EASY changes to your coax wiring to add the option of either TV antenna or Satellite reception, here is what you need to do. Purchase a COAX A/B switch (Amazon $5 -$40). Remove the coax cable on the TT's Antenna signal Amp plate from the UHF/VHF Antenna feed cable. Connect that to one of the 2 COAX A/B switch inputs. Connect a COAX cable from the Satellite receiver box (not antenna) to the 2nd input on the COAX A/B switch. Finally connect the output from the A/B switch to the coax connection of the Antenna Signal plate where you disconnected the roof UHF/VHF tv antenna cable. Your media center TV should be hooked to the satellite receiver box with an HDMI cable. Make sure you turn off the TV signal amp on the plate (or you will not have a picture on the bedroom TV. You now have a HDMI signal and a signal on your 2nd TV. If you want to be able to use your satellite IR remote in the bedroom you can purchase a IR signal extender (see link below). Hope the picture helps. You will need to purchase a small length of coax to connect the amp plate to the A/B switch. I hope that the picture was attached below. It should make it a little easier for you.
Don

IR to RF signal Extender example (so you can use the Satellite REMOTE in the bedroom)
http://www.amazon.com/X10-Powermid-P...e+extender+kit
Attached Thumbnails
Antenna-Cable Connections - Example 1 - With AB Switch.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #7

We use a dual tuner satellite receiver in our 5th wheel. I have the main TV hooked up directly with an HDMI cable and use a coax cable to connect the second TV output through the coaches wiring to the bedroom TV. The second TV is only in standard definition though. This allows us to watch 2 shows at the same time (me a ballgame, the wife something else). It's only possible this way with a two tuner receiver though.
Linejudgemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum....

I would have required this info as well....so thanks!

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
If you want to make a few EASY changes to your coax wiring to add the option of either TV antenna or Satellite reception, here is what you need to do. Purchase a COAX A/B switch (Amazon $5 -$40). Remove the coax cable on the TT's Antenna signal Amp plate from the UHF/VHF Antenna feed cable. Connect that to one of the 2 COAX A/B switch inputs. Connect a COAX cable from the Satellite receiver box (not antenna) to the 2nd input on the COAX A/B switch. Finally connect the output from the A/B switch to the coax connection of the Antenna Signal plate where you disconnected the roof UHF/VHF tv antenna cable. Your media center TV should be hooked to the satellite receiver box with an HDMI cable. Make sure you turn off the TV signal amp on the plate (or you will not have a picture on the bedroom TV. You now have a HDMI signal and a signal on your 2nd TV. If you want to be able to use your satellite IR remote in the bedroom you can purchase a IR signal extender (see link below). Hope the picture helps. You will need to purchase a small length of coax to connect the amp plate to the A/B switch. I hope that the picture was attached below. It should make it a little easier for you.
Don

IR to RF signal Extender example (so you can use the Satellite REMOTE in the bedroom)
http://www.amazon.com/X10-Powermid-P...e+extender+kit
Thanks for the remote extender info Mustang.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRGMC View Post
Thanks for the remote extender info Mustang.
I have had mine for over 2 years and it works GREAT!
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote