Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #1

Smile Hi from Ohio

Hi everyone...my husband and I purchased our 2012- 24 FBS Jayco last year and now we are planning to take it for a two month road trip out west in April & May. I know it'll still be cold up North but we are trying to get back to Ohio in time to put in a garden, etc. (by the end of May). I'm not very familiar with forums so not sure how to look for previous threads that contain info as to how to plan this all out. I have started mapping out our trip and selecting campsites along the way. Is it necessary to reserve everything ahead of time? I was hoping we could be flexible if we'd like to stay in one location for an extra day or move on. Our plan is to head to Texas to visit family, then Arizona (more family) then San Diego and up the Calif coast to Washington and Oregon then to yellowstone, badlands and home.
I'd also like info as to age of tires. We just checked and our tires were made 7/11. We heard that they need to be replaced after 5 yrs. Is that true? They look like they are in good shape.
Thanks for your help!
Carol & Dave
clindrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum from the true "Up North"!

And I'm sure someone here will have some answers to your questions here! They are a great bunch
carlamacewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #3

I would definitely buy new tires no matter how good they look.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clindrose View Post
Is it necessary to reserve everything ahead of time? I was hoping we could be flexible if we'd like to stay in one location for an extra day or move on.
Carol, the quick answer to this part is that it all depends on where you stay, private or government campgrounds. With the latter, reservations are strongly recommended. Especially, since the time you are going looks to coincide with Spring Break.

BTW, welcome to Team Jayco!

Happy trails.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
Site Team

WELCOME TO JOF!!!

The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Like Grumpy said... buy new tires before you head out.. your safest option. How is the TT's battery? New? Old?
What are you towing it with?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #6

Welcome from a fello buckeye. Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #7

Welcome from Akron!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #8

Since you probably don't know the service history make sure the bearings get repacked before that big trip. If you have a handy hubby he can do it at home.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great trip. Hope it ends up being exciting. I agree with Grumpy, replace those tires.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #10

Congrats and welcome to the Zoo from MO
Agree on the new tires and possibly the battery
Meadowlark paint
Iraq 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #11

Welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #12

Thanks for the info!

Thank you everyone for your input. We took your advise and just purchased 5 new tires. We got the Goodyear Endurance rated N for 85 miles @ hr. We won't drive that fast but it's nice to know they can take more speed. Our tt didn't come with a spare tire so we're getting that also. I'm going to go through our travel plans and reserve what we need. In the long run, it'll probably be better having everything organized and reserved than finding out things are all booked up. Also, we are going to have the ball bearings checked. We had them repacked when we bought it (about 6 months ago) but my husband is on the cautious side and will have them rechecked. We'll also check into replacing the battery. It's a small price to pay for such a long trip. We are towing with our 2016 Dodge Ram 1500. We are graduating from pulling an Aliner with a Chevy Trailblazer. Quite a bit more room and power! Really looking forward to our adventure! Thank you everyone!
Old 02-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #13
Site Team

Look on websites like Allstays.com for campgrounds in the area you plan to stop.

https://www.allstays.com/
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #14

Congratulations and welcome to the Forum. Sounds like an exciting trip. Have fun and post pictures.
2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B (sold)
1991 Jayco Cardinal SD 14 foot pop up. (Sold)

2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71 5.3L 4WD
stevenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:07 AM   #15

Welcome from Berlin Lake (near Alliance).

Bob
Bob, Marge and Whitney (German Shepard Dog)
Rafstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clindrose View Post
Hi everyone...my husband and I purchased our 2012- 24 FBS Jayco last year and now we are planning to take it for a two month road trip out west in April & May. I know it'll still be cold up North but we are trying to get back to Ohio in time to put in a garden, etc. (by the end of May). I'm not very familiar with forums so not sure how to look for previous threads that contain info as to how to plan this all out. I have started mapping out our trip and selecting campsites along the way. Is it necessary to reserve everything ahead of time? I was hoping we could be flexible if we'd like to stay in one location for an extra day or move on. Our plan is to head to Texas to visit family, then Arizona (more family) then San Diego and up the Calif coast to Washington and Oregon then to yellowstone, badlands and home.
I'd also like info as to age of tires. We just checked and our tires were made 7/11. We heard that they need to be replaced after 5 yrs. Is that true? They look like they are in good shape.
Thanks for your help!
Carol & Dave
As for camping, I would join the KOA Kard (https://koa.com/value-kard-rewards/). All you need to do is put in your destination and it will give you the campgrounds in order from closest to furthest away. Therefore, if the one you want is full, you can check out the next closest one. The Kard $35 but you get a 10% discount on every stay and earn rewards for free stays.

Usually before Memorial Day and after Labor Day it is pretty easy to get in just about anywhere. As for me I am a planner and I plan every day months before I leave. The down side of this is that you may have some cancellation fees if you want to leave early or skip a stop and it may limit some possible side trips.

Camping in Yellowstone does not open until around 5/11 (https://www.yellowstonenationalparkl.../reservations/). Since you are under 35 feet you should have no problem getting into Fishing Bridge Campground (centrally located in the park and has full hook-up) before Memorial Day. However, that one you will want to book ASAP as the close you get to May 15th the more likely it will be sold out.

Definitely get new tires and have the bearings repacked.

Have a great trip and good luck with that garden.

Bob
Bob, Marge and Whitney (German Shepard Dog)
Rafstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #17

Thanks for all the info! I'm still debating whether to reserve each spot before we leave. I've reserved the campsites for visiting relatives and Yellowstone. It's just all the in betweens. I'll decide as we get closer. Thanks for helping!
Old 02-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #18

In Michigan a lot of campgrounds don’t open for the season until May 15th. I’m not sure about other states. So you definitely will want to check ahead for campground availability in the northern climate as you travel west during April and early May. Sounds like a great trip so have fun and travel safe.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #19

Welcome from Cincinnati.
I am like you and prefer to plan EVERYTHING in advance, however my Dear Wife is a little more “free spirited” and does not like being rigid with planning.
I recently read a thread that had several different APPS that you could download on a smartphone to help with places to temporarily park just for an overnight (Walmart’s, rest stops, different parking lots etc) I haven’t used them yet but wish I had them when I did my 2,000 mile trip to the Apostle Islands as I ended up driving 15 hours to make a camping reservation and arrived at 2:00am.
RV PARKY & OVERNIGHT RV PARKING, ALL STAYS, NEXT EXIT, etc
You could also join a couple different RV camping memberships like THOUSAND TRAILS, GOOD SAM, KOA, RESERVE AMERICA
Sounds like a great trip and hope you have a wonderful journey/adventure!!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:58 PM   #20

California coast is AWESOME! There is one road going to the glass beach that is so twisty that I'm not sure how any RV could do it (PCH?) It was so much fun to see the Redwoods and the cool cove beaches outside of Eureka. We did it with the kids two years ago in a Honda Pilot. Worth every penny! You'll love it.

We tend to be more flexible and free spirited but that's before we bought a motor home so now I'm in your same boat!
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, trip planning