Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Hole Repair-2007 Select HW

Hello-

I just entered the world of pop-up camping and purchased a 2007 Select HW. When I set it up yesterday I noticed some very small holes, or rather almost holes. I didn't notice them at the dealership as we were in a large garage and the light wasn't strong enough to shine through and highlight these little buggers. The "holes" are actually a thinning of the material no bigger than pencil head eraser, actually a little smaller, and they are on the seams where the bed and slide-out frames push up the tent. They look like they came to be from general wear.

I am looking for some advice on the best way to repair these little holes. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Terry
tsherbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #2

I've had great success using sail repair tape on tents and other friend's canvas popups at wear areas. I just repaired what appears to be be some mouse damage on the canvas of our 23b using sail repair tape. I always cut the patch pieces with some radius so it adheres better. Squared off corners can lift over time. Round patches seem the best. In the case of the mouse holes I taped both sides so that the tape came together and stuck to itself. My wife is happy with how well the patch blended in. The tape is available in colors.

I use the sail repair tape because I have it hand. I'm certain that there are similar products available at outdoor stores or RV supply/dealers for canvas repair. West Marine carries sail repair tape. Parts related to sailing/boating are generally pricey... of course so are RV related items. The only thing that I know to make marine quality items look reasonable in price is to compare to the exact same part with "aviation" somewhere in the description. That tends to make everything else look like a good deal.

Good luck. vic
Old 05-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #3

Thanks Vic! I will check this out. Do you use a hole punch to make nice circular patches? I failed scissor use in kindergarten...seriously!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsherbig View Post
Thanks Vic! I will check this out. Do you use a hole punch to make nice circular patches? I failed scissor use in kindergarten...seriously!
I just use scissors. Sail repair tape typically comes in 2" or 4" wide stock size.

A coin or bottle lid of appropriate size will give a pencil pattern for smaller round patches. I just free hand any larger pieces which need to overlap for bigger holes. A hole punch would need to be very sharp to cut the repair tape threads without pulling them out of position. Hair cutting scissors are very sharp and work great. (Don't mention that fact to my wife please.)

After I apply the patch I always stitch it down by rubbing on the patch with a spoon or rounded screwdriver handle end against a cutting board or other hard surface. That seems to make the glue adhere better.

I hope it works out as well for you as it has for me. One of my sail tape repairs on a pop up canvas lasted at least 10 years. They sold the trailer so I lost track after that. vic
Old 05-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the tips! I am ordering the tape right now!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (first thread in New Members forum has them all listed, second thread has more new member welcoming info). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote