Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #1

Housing for Kidney transplant

Hello RV'ers. WE bought this 2007 29BHS to use as housing after transplant surgery. I will be donating and my step-son will be receiving in the next few months. I will be in it for a month and Brian will be in it up to three months, depending on how well his recovery goes.
We will be at a full service campsite in Portland so some of my concerns are for later on when we all get to go dry camping. So here goes;
If there are two 12 volt gel batterys how long should they run before charging is needed.
Is a Honda 2000 generator sufficient for the charging process?
How long can I expect the twin propane tanks to last?
There is a copper gas line with a screw connection coming out from under the trailer forward of the door. Is this for a BBQ? Should it be connected to the trailer near the connection rather than just sticking out into the air?
Where do I get a new BBQ?
The radio/DVD/CD is missing. Any suggestions for replacements?
The slide has a strange metal contraption in the overhead portion that seems like it is an appliance to lock the slide in place. Any idea where I can get instructions for its use?
Seems like I have more questions than answers and would really appreciate any help I can get.
Bob
redbobfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #2

Battery recharging is dependent on use. If you run the heater at night you'll have to charge the batteries everyday. The more you use the water pump/ lights/ radio/ ect. the faster the batteries will drain.

The Honda EU2000 is a great generator and will charge your batteries just fine. That generator may or may not run your AC though-- if it doesn't and you want a generator to do the job you can either buy a second Honda and run them parallel or buy a EU3000 or a Yamaha EF24000 (it will start your AC -- but like the EU2000i it will only run the AC if everything else is off). I went the (2) Honda EU2000 route and I usually only carry one.
If you have a battery wizard on your converter it will charge the batteries even faster.
http://www.progressivedyn.com/power_converters.html

Propane is sort of like the batteries-- while dry camping your fridge and hot water heater will run off the propane. If you run your heater it will also run off the propane tanks. But propane a couple propane tanks should last several weeks.

Your right that cooper pipe does go to a low pressure outdoor BBQ or stove. I don't use mine as I just coonect a 20' hose on my small BBQ -- I don't like the idea of having the BBQ that close to the trailer wall. I like to run it to a little table we bring along.

When I replace our all in one DVD/ surround sound system I'm going to get a Sony DVD player and separate sound system. The one that came with ours is junk. So your not missing much if yours is missing.

Call Jayco and ask them for a manual -- they will send you a generic one. But you'll get the gist of how everything works with it.

Good Luck.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum redbob. Looks like JP did a good job of answering your questions, but I did want to wish you all the best with the transplant operations. Here's to speedy recoveries!

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #4

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Bob! I'm guessing you will come up with new questions as you move into and start "camping". Many knowlegable folks here who are eager to help out other members. Post anytime. Please come back and let us know how things go for Brian.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #5

Man I am a terrible proof reader-- sorry. My fingers go faster then my brain sometimes.

Regards,
JP
Old 09-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #6

updating

Thank you for the assistance! I found a great Honda 3000i generator on Craigslist and have rehung the copper BBQ line appropriately from the frame. I was also able to download an owners manual online.

One more question, for now. It did not come with batteries but did come with two empty battery cases. One guy I know is suggesting that I get two 6 vold batteries and another is suggesting two 12 volt.
I would appreciate your thoughts on the battery sizes and suggestions for finding a wireing diagram for them.
Bob
Old 09-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #7

Your going to love that generator! You lucked out!

Here is the wiring diagram you wanted. I made my leads but you can buy them if you need to.

I've had good luck with Trojan 6 volts T-125's-- they've last me 5 years now--

Others will say go 12 volt-- I don't know that there is a generic answer.

Bottom line is:
The more amp hours of capacity you can fit, the longer you can go between re-chargings.
The life span of the batteries is just as important unless you like spending $300 a year on lead.
Deep Cycle or Golf Cart is what you should be looking at-- NOT STARTING.
Here is a link about everything RV batteries--
Part 1: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
Part 2: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volta.htm

Read it-- Learn it-- Live it

Regards,
JP
Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #8

We have a 2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 29bhs. I agree the Dvd/ entertainment unit is crap. The one that comes with it is a Memorex DVD home theater system STS2891-1. We are on our third one do to dvd player failure. When this one is gone not sure what will go with.
We camp approx every other weekend many 4 day weekends and one 1 1/2 wk long trip from Mid-may to Mid-Oct. with electrical hook-up. I am not conservative with propane. Turn heat on when want etc. Use oven often and we go thru one 30 lb tank a season.
We also do not use the grill connection on trailer. I like my Weber Q never used unit that came with camper. I would however, purchase one from rv store made to go on that type of connection. Orginally thought would use Weber with trailer connection. Was not getting the normal flame height. Brother-in law pointed out that the bbq connection on trailer is after the "regulator for the propane tank" The Weber and similiar grills also have a regulator on them where the propane comes i. Thus with two regulators not much gas is passing thru unit and not much flame. You would need to have a bbq unit without a regulator on it....We just use a portable 5 lbs tank with hose had back from tenting years..
With the slide out lock contraption.. when the slide out is in, the long arm goes vertical to the outside and the smaller one goes horizontal on the inside of the trailer on the short section in by the roof. I would take a pic but our trailer is at the dealer getting some body work. Our manuals are in there so i can't check to see what in proper instructions are. You must be tall to do this or have a nice step ladder. Hubby always says becareful not to bounce it off the top of the slide out.

Go luck with the surgeries..
Jaycojenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #9

My combo unit just took a dump-- the sound channels make a popping sound. I'm just using it as a DVD player now. It's a shame because we don't watch TV much so we don't have surround sound at home -- and it was kinda cool to watch a movie in the trailer with the surround sound.

I'm hunting for a replacement though.

Regards,
JP
Old 09-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #10

Battery question solved

I had no idea I knew so little.. Thank you for the link to all things battery!!1 I have decided to go to Costco and get their 6 volt deep cycle gel batteries. It seems like they will be the most trouble free for the longest time.
Now I need......... and then I need....... and then...
Well you understand.
Bob
Old 09-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #11

Good luck w/the procedure Red....... And a speedy recovery.

That 12V site is extremely helpful for getting a grip on battery consumption.
We too have a LP line running to where the grill mounts onto the side of our RV.
We don't use it either. We are big charcoal fans. Cindy bought a little grill for $20 a few years back and it's still doing very well.

The 12V/6V issue is one that remains in the hands of the user.
Since the RV world is very 12V friendly, two 12V batteries can sometimes be a better Alternative. But I've heard alot of good things about doubling up 6Vs.

Good luck Red !!!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #12

Welcome to the forum and good luck with transplant.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #13

Please post what you purchase for a replacement for your entertainment system JPBeck. I know we will be looking for one soon. Hubby mentioned it maybe difficult to find one with an external atenna connection
Jaycojenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #14

New question about hitch noise.

I bought an Equal-I-zer hitch and it makes some pretty terrible noses while I am pulling. I checked the ball and its already worn through the chrome it had on top and I see some light surface wear where the bars sit on the L brackets.
I believe that the noise is coming from these locations and wonder if I should be lubricating either.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #15

Just a little grease-- it's a "normal" noise.

Regards,
JP
Old 10-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #16

We have the Equal-I-zer also... makes lots of noise and as JP said it is normal. A very lite coating of grease would not hurt.

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote