Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

I think I made a good decision

Hello,
My wife & I are complete rookies when it comes to RVs. I've done so much reading my eyes are bleeding Also toured so many RVs I'm geting a little sick of it. And that may be why I just pulled the trigger on a used ( 2012 ) Jayco X213. Normally, I'd go home & do a lot of research about a particular model. But this looked well taken care of, and the price was good ( I think ). We were supposed to PDI & sign paperwork today. But the dealer had to do some sort of LP check. And they found a leak. They said it might take awhile to locate & fix. So we put everything off until tomorrow. I must say though, I REALLY like the floorplan of this little trailer. To get a king bed in something this size was unexpected.

Have a couple questions. The salesman said he'd give me a WDH. Not a new one, but one they had lying around. I have that at home. My question about that is the large center piece with the ball says it's rated at 14,000 lbs. The two bars that attach to the saddles each say 10,000 lbs. So these "may" not be parts of the same set. They are the same brand ( EAZ LIFT & the ELITE model or series ). The question would be is there a potential problem with the 14K vs 10K ratings on the two different parts?

Next question. We still don't have a tow vehicle. I'm kinda thinking I'd like a VW Touareg V6 diesel. But I did read somewhere the short wheelbase could be an issue. I was hoping this being a pretty light trailer, the VW would work. Anybody here tow with a Touareg? If so, any issues?

We are really looking forward to dipping our toes into this RV lifestyle.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Fred
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, but I can't help with your hitch or tow vehicle questions.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:59 PM   #3

I have a 2013 Touareg TDI and just love it and it pulls my Hybrid, a 2010 EXP21M and it weighs 4,800 lbs empty. Think I'm around 56-5700 lbs. on the road. I'm at about 12,000 miles of towing the Hybrid and never a problem on the road and that 8 speed transmission is the best ever. A 7% grade at 55-58 MPH will only rev at 28-2900 rpm.. Going down I go into manual mode and almost no breaks needed. I get almost 34 mpg without the TT and 23 mpg on the flats and in the mountains and hills of the Oregon and N. California I'll get 18-19 mpg. The Touareg is the best kept secret known only to a few of us in the camping world.
Now I own a GMC for all the chores but for my fun driving my Touareg comes in as my #1 choice.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #4

Thanks Tunce,

Encouraging words indeed.

Thanks,
Fred
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote