Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2018, 08:15 PM   #1

Im having electrical issues

Does anybody in the group know how to locate the converter on a bumper pull travel trailer (2012 31ft White Hawk by Jayco)?
I looked in the manual and it's not where it says it should be and I am losing a hundredth of a volt (0.01) every 4 minutes. My 2 year old stuck a butter knife in the fuse box and caused 4 fuses to pop and both fuses at the battery to popped. I replaced them but now my batteries aren't keeping a charge. I replaced the batteries and prior to doing so i was losing 0.01 volts every 30 seconds. The tech at the rv supply store said it probably fried the converter and said it would be under the bed. The manual said its under the bed. I checked under all the beds and it ain't there. I need to track down this drain. Prior to the battery swap with the generator on i was getting 14.06v after the battery swap with the generator on im only getting 13.47v. As soon i turm the generator off i start dropping volts. 0.01 every 4 minutes.
Stvnkhk1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:20 PM   #2

Converter should be with your fuse panel. They are one unit. The converter is mounted behind the fuses usually.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #3

Stvn- my converter is located with the fuse panel, but under it and easily accessible. I plan on replacing the WFCO with a good one from Progressive Dynamics. I now have a WFCO 8955 and going to a Progressive PD4655. All I've read about on this forum indicates a better converter is the way to go to increase battery longevity. Do a search for converters and you can read all the opinions about the WFCO junk and the Progressive converter.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:43 PM   #4

And your 4 year old? Ok and all?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:53 PM   #5

Sounds like your 2 year old found it. Time to get plastic silverware.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #6

A butter knife into the fuse/converter panel is not a good thing for any number of reasons. The fact that it blew so many fuses indicates that it shorted the system and not sure how that happened unless the access door was opened and the knife was jammed into one of the fuse slots. Anyway there are other dangerous thinks a 2 year old can mess with both in a camper and back home. All my kids are now in their 40's but what you experienced is an example of why 2 year olds can't be left unattended. A butterknife might seem innocent enough but you proved otherwise. Young kids should only play with "toys", not kitchen accessories, tools, tv remotes, keys, etc. I cringe when I go into a home where their young kids are playing with the buttons on the front of the tv or any of the above items and laugh when the tv won't work or they can't find their keys.

Sorry to sound like I'm lecturing but for those who have lived thru the child rearing years [and made more than our share of mistakes] I just wanted to share my experience. What parents need to realize is that when their youngsters are allowed to play with adult only things, they export those habits to other settings when they go to grandmothers for a weekend or the home of another sibling for a family dinner. Habits learned at home are repeated outside the home.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote