Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

Jayco 28BHBE picking up in Indiana on April 21st

My wife and I have decided to purchase a new 2016 Jayco 28BHBE from a dealer in Indiana. We go pick it up on April 21st. (We live in Middle GA). It was a GREAT deal. We are newbies. We look forward to this new adventure. I was a little concerned about my TV but did a lot of checking and spoke to others with similiar setups and they have been fine. 2012 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 with 5.3 eng and 3.42 axle ratio. Also has HD cooling, trailer package plus. Shows 9500 GVWR capability. Hope we do not run in to any issues as we can not afford to buy another truck. We will deal with it one way or the other. Just hope I am not having to white knuckle it alot. Wish us luck and look forward to chatting with all of you.
pahu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #2

Congrats on the new rig. Hope the tow rig works out. That rig is fairly heavy for its size, (the 28BHBE). We have one and tow with a F-350. Most tow with a 250 or 2500. No doubt you'll be at the truck's max. Keep it light, as in empty tanks and minimum cargo.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #3

Congratulations. Are you picking it up in Middlebury? If so, I would recommend spending a night or two there, kind of a shake down to make sure everything works fine and you have no issues. There is a KOA just north of Town on the same road, nice folks. We picked ours up in Middlebury last April and stayed two nights before heading out. We had no issues I'm happy to say.

Do you have a WDH Weight Distributing Hitch? Hopefully so, they can help you set it up correctly for your rig.

Good Luck and Happy Camping

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #4

Pahu I had basically the same truck, 2009 tho and was towing a 29qbs. Very similar to the weights of the 28bhbe. I used a blue ox WDH and it towed very well. Big steep hills definitely used all its power but never had any uncomfortable towing experience. Even towing in some huge winds! I recommend a good WDH with sway control, take it slow and pack your trailer accordingly. Enjoy the new trailer!!
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #5

Congratulations and welcome to the JOF.

X2 on what wags999 said.
Plus...
Hopefully your WDH is also anti sway. If it doesn't, you should get it.
And be sure your tow vehicle and trailer tires are inflated to the maximum shown on the sidewalls. Stiffer sidewalls help reduce flex, heat, and sway.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #6

Welcome and congrats on the 28!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Congrats on the new rig. Hope the tow rig works out. That rig is fairly heavy for its size, (the 28BHBE). We have one and tow with a F-350. Most tow with a 250 or 2500. No doubt you'll be at the truck's max. Keep it light, as in empty tanks and minimum cargo.
Power wise you will have enough. As John mentioned though, watch what you load in the pass through, and the truck bed. A trip to the CAT Scales once you load the trailer up for a trip will tell you what you may be able to load in the truck bed. Have you added anything to the truck accessory wise that has a fair amount of weight: truck cap/ topper for example? Just know weight adds up very quickly! All passengers, any cargo in the cab/ bed, the wdh, and the tt tw all add toward the trucks payload.

You may need to get new tires for the truck, a set of LT's. Some P rated tires have what I call a "wiggle" when towing a heavier trailer. The back of the tv will "wiggle" back and forth when traveling down the road while towing.

You will want to have a good wdh with integrated sway control. The Reese SC, Reese Dual Cam, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the money. The Dual Cam is a little more finicky setting it up, but works awesome. The Reese hitch head (same for both models) has a little more fine tuning adjustment vs the Equal-I-Zer hitch head. But any of the 3 will do an excellent job!

Watch the factory hitch receiver!!! It is a round tube design, and when towing a trailer with a little heavier tw and using a wdh, the receiver can "wind up"/ twist when you latch the wd bars up. I haven't heard of any failures with the GM round tube receiver on the '07-'13 trucks, there were a few issues with the '99-'06 factory hitch. And both are a very similar design (if not the exact same). I will see if I have the Curt square tube hitch model number I bought to replace the factory receiver on the '10 Chevy we had. It was a night and day difference in quality. When setting each down on the garage floor, it was a tin can vs dull thud sound.

Even if the dealer sets up the wdh, it is for an empty trailer. Plan on re-adjusting the hitch set up once you load the trailer up for a trip. Follow my signature links for a ton of wdh info, and how to weigh the truck/ trailer at a CAT Scale.

Being on the upper end of your truck, plan on going through your trailer at least once a year, maybe at the end of the season to purge what is not needed or used at all, or very little. Will help keep the weight down. If you use something once a season, maybe through it in a Rubbermaid tub and store it the 99% of the time at home.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #7

Like said above... Tires!!
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #8
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
X2

I am towing ours with an F250 and even with that truck I hold on tight, I did another short trip this past weekend (our 2nd Trip) in a lot of wind (March/ April is Windy in FL) and you can definitely feel this trailer move around, almost feels like it is pushing the rear of the truck sideways when it gusts. (Which it is...) I am still working to get comfortable towing it, tweaking weight placement, the hitch and Air Bags.

Personally I would not want to tow with any less of a truck but many do it, take your time and be safe.

As for the Camper itself we are very happy we were able to go up to this floor plan, definelty not roughing it now.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote