Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2019, 10:02 AM   #1

Jumping Right on In

I know it's an absolutely stupid idea to buy a tow vehicle and a TT/TH without ever having tried the other, but I really can't try before I put some serious money on the line as I don't have a tow-capable vehicle. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find a car rental place near me that will allow me to tow with a rented truck.

Assuming I can't rent a truck then rent a TT and try it out for a weekend or two, I'd have to buy a truck at least first (bye bye $30K). At that point, I'm already more than half-way in the hole and have pretty much committed myself to the scheme (because there's no other way I'd ever consider driving a truck around all the time) not carrying through and buying the RV just seems a waste. So in my mind, it's really an all or nothing decision right now.

Anyone else just jumped without looking?
Saffikeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #2

Pretty sure everyone jumps in the first time. I bought a used F150 and drove 6 hrs to pickup my first TT sight unseen. Upgraded the truck to a more capable used F150 shortly after because the first one was under powered. Just get a truck with enough power and a towing package the first time.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
Pretty sure everyone jumps in the first time. I bought a used F150 and drove 6 hrs to pickup my first TT sight unseen. Upgraded the truck to a more capable used F150 shortly after because the first one was under powered. Just get a truck with enough power and a towing package the first time.
That makes me feel better. I was initially going to pick up a cheap junker of a tow vehicle and a cheap old TT OR a cheap old Class C, but the more I looked the more it makes sense to buy better from the get go (but the initial hit/risk to the pocket book is more too). The newer F150s get better gas milage than any thing else around that can tow in the same range. That's important as it's going to be my primary vehicle. The safety options available now are probably worth it too.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #4

It doesn't hurt to ask the dealers and I say that because I did and got an SUV. We have a GMC that's capable of pulling my trailer but it's not my favorite mode of transportation so we looked at the diesel Touareg and told the dealer what I needed it for ( pulling 5,600 lbs all over the place ). Completed a sales transaction and it included a 30 day 100% buy back if it didn't perform for the purpose of pulling my 2010 Jayco exp21m as stated in my contract. Well going into my 6th year now and BTW i called him almost 30 days later from 1,200 miles away and said " it's a keeper".

I did agree to pay mileage and oil change if I returned it.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

Exhausted from shopping all day with no food and a 76lb mutt in tow. I've put a deposit down on a F150 that the mutt can fit in and a 2018 Octane SL. Now It's time to freak out a bit.