Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #1

Just ordered a 2018 Jayco 21QB

My wife and I have been lifetime campers, including the past 14 years sailing the Northern Great Lakes, including the Canadian waters of the North Channel. We call Charlevoix, Michigan home and this year we decided to add a new chapter to our travels. We sold our beloved Catalina 30 sailboat and ordered a 2018 Jayco 21QB. We are ready to travel to destinations that boats can't go, like over the Continental Divide and on..............

We will be pulling the trailer with our 2015 Grand Cherokee with factory hitch equipment. The Grand Cherokee has an 8-speed transmission which should aid in the towing management. If anyone has experience with this combination please comment. We have a lot to learn but we are already familiar with 12v, propane, and 110v systems so I feel we will adapt pretty quickly. We expect to spend time camping off the grid (boondocking you call it?).

I am a photographer so we are anxious to visit some of America's National Parks including UT, CA, AZ, MT, and even Canada.
mhaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:30 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new camper order.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:09 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Welcome to the wonderful world of Jayco!
As a kid, every summer my parents loaded up the car, hitched up the Starcraft Pop-up and headed across the mighty Ambassador Bridge on our way to Young State Park on beautiful Lake Charlevoix!
Old 06-30-2017, 07:53 AM   #4

We had a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Hemi and lift. It seemed to be a good combo. Made at least at least 30 climbs over the continental divide with no major issues. I feel it probably one of the best proving grounds for TV/TT combos. There is a reason why several companies test their vehicles out here. While it felt like a strain on the engine (probably my nervous tendancy) the Jeep maintained 55+ anytime I asked for it.

The dealer recommended simple hitch with a anti-sway bar. It seemed OK, but I always wondered if I needed a WDH. If you have load leveling, it may be moot.

I needed a brake controller too. Unknowing, they put in a new harness and charged me an arm and leg for a Tekonsha Primus IQ. An adapter can be had that will prevent from having to do the harness from Amazon along with a cost effective controller. The Tekonsha performed great! I recommend getting ahead of the camper.

Welcome to the forum!
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep grand cherokee, photography