Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

Leaking propane hose

Having a problem with propane hose leaking around where it connects to 20 lb propane tank , I have a American exchange tank and new hose, have tightened
large plastic connector as tight as I can ,has anyone had this problem. I have not had any problems in the year I've owned my Jayco with any other exchange tanks. I was wondering if there better propane hoses that would seal better.the hose I bought was a Camco heavy duty Olympian . Thanks to any response I GET
Kensbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #2

You could have a damaged O-ring. If you have kids use old fashioned bubbles and apply a little bubble juice to the various components. Where the bubbles apear is where the leak is coming from.

Being a tank exchange tank, you could have a damaged tank. I have numerous friends that are cops and fire fighters they all say do not use tank exchanges, as you do not know how they are maintained, drug users modify tanks. A couple of them have said the only propane tank fires they have been to involve tank exchanges.

Having a propane tank filled will cost a lot less than a tank exchange. Around here a 20# tank cost me $12.96 to fill, and most tank exchanges cost $18 to$22 dollars. Where I have my tank filled, also does tank exchanges too, $22, why would someone waste their money when it's no more work or time to have it filled.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #3

The hose are suppose to be universal. Did you use soapy water the find the leak or is it so bad you hear it? If it is the tank end connection check both mating surfaces for debris and there should be a small O ring on the brass hose tip.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #4

I was very surprised to learn that many exchange propane tanks are NOT filled. Therefore you are paying even more for the actual propane than you may think. I have my tanks filled at a local rental place. As stated earli3er, much less expensive per pound than the exchange.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensbbq View Post
Having a problem with propane hose leaking around where it connects to 20 lb propane tank , I have a American exchange tank and new hose, have tightened
large plastic connector as tight as I can ,has anyone had this problem. I have not had any problems in the year I've owned my Jayco with any other exchange tanks. I was wondering if there better propane hoses that would seal better.the hose I bought was a Camco heavy duty Olympian . Thanks to any response I GET
I had the same problem. My trailer is almost 2 years old. The rubber pieces where the large plastic connector connects to the rubber hose was leaking on both tanks. Luckily I figured that out before a trip. I had to buy those pieces from the local dealer as they could not get my trailer in fast enough to get them replaced under warranty. Pretty easy to replace. As someone else said, just put some soapy water on the lines and turn on the tanks to pressurize the lines.

Note: don't do this with any chance of an open flame nearby.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
With your own tanks you know what you have. With the exchange tanks seems everybody agrees that you don't know if they are damaged or seals are bad or even they can be filled with less propane. Some they call it convenience the exchange system.
Have always a soapy spray bottle ready for leaks at the connection. I want to use the propane not let in evaporate.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensbbq View Post
My 2016 is leaking in this same spot. I am going to see if Jayco will replace the hose under warrany as there is no reason for this to be leaking so soon. My last trailer had 10yr old hoses that didn't leak.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
My 2016 is leaking in this same spot. I am going to see if Jayco will replace the hose under warrany as there is no reason for this to be leaking so soon. My last trailer had 10yr old hoses that didn't leak.
Well, I tried but Jayco wouldn't replace the hose. The leak is so bad it will bleed out an entire tank in less than a day. I just bought a new hose and replaced.

From my Note 5
Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 PM   #9

Most propane hose & fittings are POS from China. I have already replaced the hoses from my 2015 unit. That's just the deal now-a days. I replace both lines every spring when I de-winterize.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:31 PM   #10

here's my 2 cents worth. Take the exchange tank back where you got it and tell them it's defective and see if you can't get your money back. Go out and buy new propane tanks and get them filled and refilled when the time comes. I WILL NEVER USE AN EXCHANGE PROPANE TANK. Every year we have LP fires that have one thing in common...exchange tanks. You don't know there past history and use. I'm not saying your hose may not be the problem, but I know from experience what these tanks can do. 15 years in the fire service, 12 years as a fire investigator and state certified fire safety inspector. Don't forget to always check you line and fittings with soapy water. Safe and happy camping.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman View Post
here's my 2 cents worth. Take the exchange tank back where you got it and tell them it's defective and see if you can't get your money back. Go out and buy new propane tanks and get them filled and refilled when the time comes. I WILL NEVER USE AN EXCHANGE PROPANE TANK. Every year we have LP fires that have one thing in common...exchange tanks. You don't know there past history and use. I'm not saying your hose may not be the problem, but I know from experience what these tanks can do. 15 years in the fire service, 12 years as a fire investigator and state certified fire safety inspector. Don't forget to always check you line and fittings with soapy water. Safe and happy camping.
This advice may be well intended, but I have used exchange tanks many times over the years and have never experienced a problem. Yes I check the new tanks when I install them. I have my tanks refilled when possible but it is often not possible when traveling. New TTs now come with 20# tanks rather than the 30# that were popular a few years ago. I think the reason for the switch was partially to reduce weight but also makes it possible to utilize exchange tanks when necessary. A quick swap at Wally World or gas station gets you back in business when refill is not available. Several times I swapped an older rusty tank for an exchange bottle just to get a new clean tank. I know they aren't filled to the max level, but it is cheaper than painting the old tank. Once you have an exchange tank, you own it and can refill it when that is available.

There is a reason why exchange tanks are involved in many of the propane related fires. The majority of folks don't have access to a refill station and picking up a tank while loading up on burgers and buns for the patio picnic is pretty much common place.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #12

Unreliable connection, potential leaks, poor operation of valves, etc. Blah. Blah.

50% more $$$ for the same amount (or less) propane!

I'll keep my cans and refill them.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote