Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #1

Leftover 2010 Jayco 29L - your thoughts?

Hi,

I am not a TT owner yet, but one of the TTs I am eyeing up is a new left over 2010 Jayco 29L (no outside kitchen) at a local dealership in my area. I asked what their best price is and they came down to $19,500 on it. In my research, it seems that Jayco is a more superior product allot of the other TT manufacturers....the other name I am considering is a Forest River. I am interested in receiving feedback for...

(1) Do you feel the price tag of $19,500 on a new 2010 29L leftover is fair (doesn't have to be a steal, but I also want a good deal).

(2) Given it's dry weight of 5,500 (and I fully understand the definition of dry weight), my 2005 F-150 4X4 5.4L super crew should be adequate enough to pull it comfortabley, but I'd still like some affirmation from others that might tow similar weight with a truck like mine.

(3) What your experience has been as far as overall quality of this trailer (or similar model).

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Dave
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #2

What will a new one cost you?

I would be skeptical of a unit sitting around for a couple of years.

I would check dealers on the Internet for that model.

Good luck.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
What will a new one cost you?

I would be skeptical of a unit sitting around for a couple of years.

I would check dealers on the Internet for that model.

Good luck.
I am not too concerned about the fact it has been sitting around for a few years as the dealer has a very good reputation in the area for service. I would certainly question them on it and will do my best to inspect it thoroughly. The 2 year warranty still stands. Since originally posting this, I've been in touch with the dealer and we had a good talk about how I feel they can do better on price. They have since quoted (via email) $17,915 for the unit, which I feel is a good price.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

With it sitting for two years, you may want them to replace the tires. Someone with more experience that what I have gleaned from reading the posts here, but I'm pretty sure that sitting for that long is NOT good on the tires.

2012 Eagle SL 308 RETS
Lady Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #5

I'd go with the older one rather than get a newer one and Possibly get stuck with one having a Lippert frame.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #6

Warranty is good to have.

What I would do is have them plug it in and run, not just for 10 minutes, all the systems, appliances etc... looking for water leaks especially. Seal could be dried out sitting that long with no use.

All the best.

Oh yeah...there are some bashing the Lippert frame. Have not found (or heard of) one recall on any Lippert frame in the RV industry. If there is please advise.

Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #7

Oh yeah...there are some bashing the Lippert frame. Have not found (or heard of) one recall on any Lippert frame in the RV industry. If there is please advise.[/QUOTE]

here's a thread on the quality Lippert frames They don't recall just say sorry it's out of warranty.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ack-18586.html
Old 01-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #8

I do not know the going price of a new model that is completely comparable to that one, but if you have done the proper research, and the price they are offering on the 2010 is a steep discount over a new one, i'd go for it. I wouldn't be very worried about the fact it sat on the lot, except for tires and that was a good suggestion already given to ask if they throw in new ones - however, they will likely throw in very CHEAP new ones so you might want to consider if the price is low enough, factor in buying new ones yourself that are better quality.

Might be better to negotiate a price that will allow you to buy some new tires and still come out with a sweet deal. I bet they really want to unload that 2010 model and would probably work with you. If this is not an option, I doubt sitting that length of time will have made the tires "undriveable" for at least awhile (mine sat longer than a year once when I was unable to use it), just keep the air pressure in it up and just consider replacing them in a year or two if needed.
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #9

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum. If the price is right and the floorplan fits your needs it will be a good deal for you.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #10

I had a phone conversation yesterday afternoon with the salesman regarding the $19,500 price tag, and said I'd really love to consider purchasing but feel the price could be better. He did say they'd really like to move the thing off their lot and said that he'd talk to his superiors. A few hours later I received an email from him offering the 2010 29L for $17,911, which he claims is invoice, and said he'd show me their paperwork as proof.

I did stop by the dealership yesterday evening (almost dark out) and he connected a battery pack so I could see it in the dark (lights on and all). It's certainly a nice unit, but we will go back during the day for a more thorough inspection before making any decisions. I will certainly take everyone's good advice and ask about the tires, and take a good long look at the seals as best as I can.

Coming from a guy that has never pulled a trailer before, I'll have to admit that it's a beast in it's exterior length....when adding this trailer to the length of my F150, it dawned on me that the whole set-up would be around 50 feet in length. With this said, I'd be interested in hearing feedback from those who own 28 foot plus TTs and their experiences with getting them from place to place (turning corners, etc.).
Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5arnolds View Post
Coming from a guy that has never pulled a trailer before, I'll have to admit that it's a beast in it's exterior length....when adding this trailer to the length of my F150, it dawned on me that the whole set-up would be around 50 feet in length. With this said, I'd be interested in hearing feedback from those who own 28 foot plus TTs and their experiences with getting them from place to place (turning corners, etc.).
Hi Dave! I have no personal experience with pulling anything longer than a small trailer used for mulch, but my hubby pulls/drives all kinds of vehicles to pickups & semi's. He said that, from his experience/opinion, that the longer the trailer, the more EASIER it is to maneuver. Short trailers are more likely to jack-knife on you (while backing up) and as long as you give enough clearance on corners, turning is not a problem.

Kim
2012 Jayflight 32 BHDS
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 8 foot bed
CruizinKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #12

Congratulations on your negotiations. It has been a buyers market.

Once you take a few trips you will adapt. CruizinKim said it best.

View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 01-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #13

I've towed long ones and short ones. Long ones seem easier to back, not as erratic. As for towing forward Look ahead, Plan ahead. Don't wait till last minute to think right turn, plan for it. Take unit out to areas that aren't busy and practice making right and left turns to see just how it tracks. Possibly sales person might ride with you for a test drive.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Hi,

I am not a TT owner yet, but one of the TTs I am eyeing up is a new left over 2010 Jayco 29L (no outside kitchen) at a local dealership in my area. I asked what their best price is and they came down to $19,500 on it. In my research, it seems that Jayco is a more superior product allot of the other TT manufacturers....the other name I am considering is a Forest River. I am interested in receiving feedback for...

(1) Do you feel the price tag of $19,500 on a new 2010 29L leftover is fair (doesn't have to be a steal, but I also want a good deal).
Dave
Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Dave! We purchased our 2010 G2 for $16,900 in 2009.. with all options minus the bbq grill and added insulation. Not sure if that helps. But something to consider that may help you..

Get a list of all the options on the 29L (29RLS?) from the dealer. Then check with NADA.com to see what that same exact tt would cost if you had to turn around and sell it right off the dealer lot or soon after to a private party. Maybe somewhere between low and average retail would be a good place to start. Of course, the dealer's gotta make his $$ too.

How is that they still had this tt? As mentioned, the tires might have to be changed out for safety if it's been sitting around for a year and that should be calculated into the final cost for you if you have to do it on your own later (I'm not sure how the tire wall code works, but it will give you and idea of when it was produced.... one of the member here can help you with that info.

Hope this helps some
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi,
(2) Given it's dry weight of 5,500 (and I fully understand the definition of dry weight), my 2005 F-150 4X4 5.4L super crew should be adequate enough to pull it comfortabley, but I'd still like some affirmation from others that might tow similar weight with a truck like mine.
Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Dave
Our tt (see signi) total length is a little bit over 30'. I don't know the specs on the 29RLS but here is our experience with ours... The tongue for that year model was heavy to begin with. Loaded with full propane, two batteries, and light 'stuff' in the forward storage area (chairs and mats, some cleaning supplies), as well as clothes and accessories in the bedroom closets above that storage area - our tongue weighs in around 1,025+ pounds. We also have an F150 so with that tongue weight, our pay load capacity in the truck bed is gone (we do carry two bikes there though).

We didn't do too well towing in winds or as 18 wheelers passed us on the interstates with the 'Huskey' single sway bar/WDH, BUT, have had little problem once we the Equalizer wdh/sway system was installed (more specifically after we had the bolts added to the frame to keep the wdh from slipping over time).

Both Don and I personally feel we wouldn't be comfortable towing anylonger than what we have with our F-150 (we would with a 3/4 ton perhaps), but that's us. We have no difficulties negotiating turns, cg's, gas stations, parking lots, etc (the more you practice or real time tow, the more comfortable you become).

Our F-150 has no problems towing the (loaded) 6,900lbs tt behind us on flat or slight hilly roads. Different story pulling up a several mile 4-5+ grade. We slow down to 40-45mph in Tow Haul. Going down the grade isn't too bad as our TH works well keeping us slowed down.

Again, this is our experience... hopes it help you some
Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
We didn't do too well towing in winds or as 18 wheelers passed us on the interstates with the 'Huskey' single sway bar/WDH, BUT, have had little problem once we the Equalizer wdh/sway system was installed (more specifically after we had the bolts added to the frame to keep the wdh from slipping over time).
Thanks for all your input. With all I've read regarding tow vehicle and trailer weight/tow ratings, my wife and I acknowledge that we could start to push our limits with the our set-up if we load the truck/trailer up too much, so we'll just have to pack smart and as simple as possible, but we feel pretty comfortable. I believe we are the only house in our neighborhood that uses both garage bays to park our cars in (as opposed to storing things) and using our garage workshop as a workshop (as opposed to storage), so we consider ourselves pretty simple with regarding to stuff (i.e. not packrats).

Regarding the Husky WDH, I am glad you brought that up. The dealer we anticipate working with is a rep. for the Husky line and is recommending a dual cam Husky on the trailer we are considering buying....they would install it. I can't say I've heard much about Husky (I always hear about the Equalizer and Reese). Now that you are indicating you had some issues, I am really questioning whether I should allow it to be installed (?). If I don't have them install their Husky hitch, I am interested to know how I go about getting a different model installed on it before it leaves the dealer (assuming they wouldn't since they're not familiar with it). I'm assuming it'd be very risky to haul the TT (without one) to my house (for me to install) or a hitch distributor to have them install it.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #17

Quote:

Regarding the Husky WDH, I am glad you brought that up. The dealer we anticipate working with is a rep. for the Husky line and is recommending a dual cam Husky on the trailer we are considering buying....they would install it. I can't say I've heard much about Husky (I always hear about the Equalizer and Reese). Now that you are indicating you had some issues, I am really questioning whether I should allow it to be installed (?). If I don't have them install their Husky hitch, I am interested to know how I go about getting a different model installed on it before it leaves the dealer (assuming they wouldn't since they're not familiar with it). I'm assuming it'd be very risky to haul the TT (without one) to my house (for me to install) or a hitch distributor to have them install it.
As I was later told by HUSKEY, the single bar sway system was not adequate for something like 4000+ pounds or 24"+ length (don't hold me to that as I can't remember the numbers), but if you have a DUAL sway system could be ok..... our dealer really dropped the ball on that one....

I'm glad it worked out that way as we really like that we can back up with our Equalizer system and not have to disengage the bars... but like I said, if it is installed with out the added bolt through braket to tongue, you will have to keep adjusting.

BTW- our experience and we are NOT towing techies LOL
Old 01-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #18

We have always used Huskey hitches and they do well for us. Our trailer is nearly 37 ft from hitch to bumper. I don't use the sway controll as it tows great as it is.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #19

Consider the Husky Centerline hitch

The dealer we worked with included a Husky Centerline as part of the package. Based on Internet research I wanted the equalizer, but also wanted the hitch as part of the TT deal and our dealer only sold husky products. We have only towed ~1k miles since picking up the trailer in Oct, but so far we are happy.

By the way we have a 26BH and pulling with 1/2 ton...5.3L, 3:73 and trans coolers lines. We expect to upgrade TV this year, but so far this set up but its working but I wouldn't want any more trailer behind me.,
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #20

No problem

I have a 2011 JayFeather Select 29L. Bought it in March of 2011 and based on the lower price quote your getting a good deal. I pull mine with a 2008
chevy 1/2 ton and power isn't really an issue. These fiberglass units are so much lighter and the tongue weights are a lot lower than some stick and tin models. The tongue weight on the feather is only 695 lbs. I had the Huskey Centerline installed and it is fabulous. I can pull mine at 70 mph with no sway and feel confident. The centline has active anti-sway, as opposed to passive anti-sway. It doesn't wait until there is sway present and then correct. There is always pressure from the double cam system pushing back on your sway bars. Having the WD/anti-sway integragted into the same two bars is the only way to go with a trailer this long. Enjoy!
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote