Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #1

Looking at a Jayco Hummingbird

We are looking at a Jayco Hummingbird, but are seeing a lot of quality issue reports about Jayco.

Is the quality of Jayco travel trailers a real issue.

I do realize that there are some people that are never happy.
U Dog U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. What are the number of issues you see reported compared to the number of total units sold? keep in mind it's more common for people to report issues than it is for someone to just start a thread on how great their camper is...

I've had two Jayco's and neither had/has issues. Our current one is only about 4 months old but we have been on quite a few trips already. Our previous one was bought in early 2014 and is now owned by a family member. It still has been issue free.

Will some have issues? Yep but it's not the norm... Good luck shopping and let us know what you go with.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #3

We have had a Hummingbird 17RK for about a month and made two weekend trips . No real issues other than a piece of molding that came off. I reattached it myself. We really like the camper, for the price point and size we feel it is well engineered and functional. My father in law who has 20years in the RV life told me to just remember we are buying a house on wheels and a few things are going to go wrong now and again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulandkaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by U Dog U View Post
We are looking at a Jayco Hummingbird, but are seeing a lot of quality issue reports about Jayco.

Is the quality of Jayco travel trailers a real issue.

I do realize that there are some people that are never happy.
retired Jayco master RV sale person here, the Hummingbird was long over due for Jayco. Forest River hit a home run with there R-pod. The problem with smaller Towables right now is demand is higher than supply. The reports from my old RV store is they aren't dealing much on price due to fact they can't get enough of them. Service says they are trouble free so far which I wouldn't suspect that being a new product. Frankly the bigger the unit the more problems there might be.
Now my Seismic 4212 was a first year new design and has been a nightmare of issues. It was a clone of the Heartland Cyclone/road Warrior and a new Jayco product that was never built before. As a RV guy I should have known better. After looking over the Hummingbird looks as Jayco got it right, they even laminated the floor! 2 year warranty doesn't hurt either.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #5

I have been researching the Hummingbirds for about a month now and the issues I have seen are all minor and about the same as with any TT. Make sure you shop around. My local dealer was asking $26,500 before TT&L. I shopped around and found a place and custom ordered my Hummingbird for &19,111.00 total price out the door after TT&L.

And the asking price at the dealership I ordered from was $18,900 on the website but when I called them he told me for the non baja 17RB on their lot they were asking $16,500.
Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:16 AM   #6

I bought a Hummingbird just yesterday, a 17RK. Out the door, including brake controller, leveling hitch, license, taxes, and assorted fees, it was $22,017.

This is our first travel trailer. I browed online at a number of trailers in that size class, and we actually went to the Casita factory showroom (it's about an hour and 15 minutes from our house) and looked over the 17' models, before we went to an RV dealer not to far from home, where we bought our 17RK.

We are picking it up on Friday, and will probably do a "shake down cruise" to the local lake campground mid-week, just to get familiarized with the systems.
The Annoyed Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
Site Team

Don't forget a pad and pencil to jot down things you think you need/want/forgot. Our first "shake down" list was full of things, like 1. wheel chocks. 2. more than a six pack of beer. 3.more blankets--its October!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #8

We are not new to camping by no means or to buying campers but we just purchased our new 2017 Hummingbird 17RK. We looked at different brands and settled on this mainly because of all the cool features it comes with. As far as quality issues I have a friend that works in the service department at a Jayco dealership. He left another dealership a couple of years ago that sold the R-Pods and he got to work on some of those too. As far as one giving more trouble than the other it's a wash. Pick which style and brand that you like the best and don't worry about it. For us the Hummingbird's power awning, led front lights, led awning lights, included gas grill with bumper mount for the grill and all the interior lights being able to switch on or off with a wall switch sold us. Also the colors on the Hummingbird are just so much nicer than anything R-Pod has done including the new blues helped to sell us. With that said, We Love Our Hummingbird!
Jay-Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to Vicrus
We have had a Hummingbird 17FD since the middle of Aug. Have gone out three times. No problems except the USB input pulled out. We'll get it fixed next time we bring it in for something else. We really love it.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicrus View Post
We have had a Hummingbird 17FD since the middle of Aug. Have gone out three times. No problems except the USB input pulled out. We'll get it fixed next time we bring it in for something else. We really love it.

Our USB port also pulled out. Put it back in but does not feel very secure. If you get it fixed before me let us know what the dealer did.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:42 PM   #11

I'm looking at Hummingbirds too. Comparing them to the R-Pods. The 17RK is the model we like and comparing them to the R-Pod 179, the Hummingbird seems to be winning. The overall fit and finish along with the quality of the mattress and cushions is better with the Hummingbird. The R-Pod does have a larger refrigerator and the new flush mount stove is nice. The tanks are bigger on the R-Pod, but that isn't necessarily an advantage because if they are all full, (not very likely), it just about maxes out the weight. If anyone has other input, I'd appreciate the feedback.
Thanks!
SteveF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
I'm looking at Hummingbirds too. Comparing them to the R-Pods. The 17RK is the model we like and comparing them to the R-Pod 179, the Hummingbird seems to be winning. The overall fit and finish along with the quality of the mattress and cushions is better with the Hummingbird. The R-Pod does have a larger refrigerator and the new flush mount stove is nice. The tanks are bigger on the R-Pod, but that isn't necessarily an advantage because if they are all full, (not very likely), it just about maxes out the weight. If anyone has other input, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

We also looked at the RPOD, but side by side we felt the Hummingbird was more of what we wanted. We also liked the color scheme better.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:27 AM   #13

We like ours so far......Haven't actually had it out but we have been jacking wit it inside our shop. We leave it set up and so far its pretty nice...Its had it little issues as with all....But I've just been adding little upgrades...my USB port is a bit loose also Ive been looking on how to fix it....We are going to upgrade the mattress before spring....we got ours out the door for 19K and some change.
rkboyer911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkboyer911 View Post
We like ours so far......Haven't actually had it out but we have been jacking wit it inside our shop. We leave it set up and so far its pretty nice...Its had it little issues as with all....But I've just been adding little upgrades...my USB port is a bit loose also Ive been looking on how to fix it....We are going to upgrade the mattress before spring....we got ours out the door for 19K and some change.

Ours will be delivered to the dealership November 23 then I will probably pick it up the first week of December. I got ours out the door for $19,111.63 my local Stealership wanted $26,900 and refused to come down so I ordered mine from another dealership 2 hours away. We can not wait to get it. We're in Ruidoso New Mexico at my friends cabin scoping out places to bring the trailer to for its maiden trip.

Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote