Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #1

More newbees from az

HOWDY
We're long time off-road explores and tent campers that finally decided to move to a hard side so we don't get rained out. Needed light weight so we can use our 4Runner to tow, then continue our off-road exploring. Bought a used 2011 Skylark. Seems to fit all our needs but sure is close to the ground. Gonna have to look into a lift of some kind. Meanwhile we intend to enjoy wondering the back ways and by ways of this great land.
TommyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to JOF!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #3

Enjoy it!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #4

Tommy - That was ine of my concerns when I finally got my OFF-ROAD POPUP camper here... I ended up with the Starfract 14 R/T model that sets up real high. Maybe you can raise yours by putting the springs on top...

I lived in your area back in the late 60s and early 70s and did a bunch of the JEEP runs up and down the Apachee trails and high country in the red rock canyons... We always went in groups with other Jeep guys and usually pulled a small util trailer. Had many good memories back then...

Still do some tent camping here in high country of VA-NC-TN-AL blue Ridge mtns and still enoy the tent camping big time. Too many goodies with the 2008 Startcraft 14RT but it is alot of fun as well...

I have traveled back to your town alot since I lived in TEMPE working on the SPACE SURVEILLANCE setup just north of the MARICOPA town... It finally closed down now.

The let me pull my trailer on my working trips but driving from VA to AZ was just too long a trip... I did pull my POPUP trailer to Wichita Falls alor however which is the same SPASUR system.

This is me up at Medicine Park, OKLA just 50 miles North of Wichita falls TX camping at the Wichita Mtns Wildlife Refuge off-road camping...

Welcome Aboard...
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #5

Thanks Roy. Our issue with the pop-up is the prohibition of anything with canvas or ant material in many of the Natl Forests & campgrounds around here and the western mountains in general because of bears. I've no desire to be one of those who have "fed" the Bears.
TommyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:54 AM   #6

Tommy - I was more concerned with the large cats and snakes haha... The bears all made alot of noise so you would always know when they were around...

We always had a bon-fire going at night so I guess that kept us more safe...

Thinking back on our tent camps I'm surprised we all made it ok... Spent a many of nights under the large sky out West.

I have never had any big issues with my OFF-ROAD Camper in this respect. It is high up off the ground and we always sleep on the front side with the 5x8 deck under the tent bed. The rear end tent bed was open all the the way to the ground... Always would think something was sleeping under it haha...

Large AX handle and good supply of bear spray was all we needed...

Now the back trails are filling up with the crazies of the world... Certainly don't venture out on our own here on the East side of the US like we did when living out West...

I would imagine the Truck Camper style of camping would fit my love for camping safety wise in these trying days but I have never really figured out how to bring along all the things we like to have with us camping. With the front deck on my OFF-ROAD Camper and the truck bed and rear seat area of my F150 we can carry some serious supplies and other things with us...

I'm about to get to the being too old to worry about it much anymore being in my mid 70s...

(Google Image)

I reckon we will stick with what we have now - Still have a few more memories to make...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:59 AM   #7

Welcome aboard!!!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote