Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 AM   #41

Welcome to the forum. You will like the fireplace. It's nice to turn on when you are having dinner, or if it's raining outside, and you are missing your campfire. Ours keeps the trailer warm enough until it gets down below 30 degrees. The TV is nice, too, however, if it goes out like mine did, remember you need to buy one, or have Jayco replace it, with one that has the power cord on the side. Long story!!! The double entry into the bathroom is nice, too. Yes, your wife will really like it. I often say our trailer will entertain 6, feed 4, but sleep 2!

Enjoy!

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #42

I think my parents would really like this trailer as they are looking to upgrade their 17z. I have a question about the TV though. (television lol)

While I like to look of having a flat screen over the fireplace at home and in the campers, I don't know if I'm a fan of the usefulness of it. It just seems like you would be straining your neck up just to watch TV.

Any comments on that?

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
I think my parents would really like this trailer as they are looking to upgrade their 17z. I have a question about the TV though. (television lol)

While I like to look of having a flat screen over the fireplace at home and in the campers, I don't know if I'm a fan of the usefulness of it. It just seems like you would be straining your neck up just to watch TV.

Any comments on that?
Our TV is on a mount that can pulled away from the wall, and pointed to either the left or right. No need to strain the necks.

Regards,

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpytrkr View Post
Our TV is on a mount that can pulled away from the wall, and pointed to either the left or right. No need to strain the necks.

Regards,

Great, I didn't know that. Does it also tilt up and down?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
Great, I didn't know that. Does it also tilt up and down?
No.

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Old 01-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #46

Well, my parents went to the local Jayco place today and they had the DSRE, but without the fireplace. In it's place was the big picture window with the TV on the rear cabinets. They liked it but I also think they would like the fireplace too.

They probably would have bought the DSRL if it didn't have a walkthrough bathroom. They like the large rear window because we do a lot of beach camping and they wanted the views from inside the trailer.

They also had the DSRB but I'm not a fan of having the bathroom on the other side of the camper. This would be my parents camper and very often one or both of them will have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I'm sure they don't want to walk clear across the camper to get to it.

So when all is said and done, I think they might look into the DSRE with either the large window or the fireplace.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #47

Smile Tongue Weights

Thanks for the advise Bob, I would really like to pick you brain here....I have read that safe limits for TT TW's are typically between 9% to 20%.....I understand that 9% is on the low side but what I find interesting is that the DSRE comes balanced from the factory with filled propane tanks with at TW that is 9% of dry weight or yellow sticker weight. It makes sense, that if I towed the trailer empty that the TT should be safely balanced with the TW. Do you think that the factory balance of 9% should be maintained when loading the trailer and do you think that the wide stance axles have any effect on this. On another note do you know how much tongue weight is displaced to the TT axles by using a WD hitch...this weight would also reduce the effect of the TW from the rear of the TV.
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Ron,

Smart move confirming your TV loaded weights, and your right, 600lbs of remaining payload for the TT's loaded tongue weight isn't much at all. Limited payload capacity is the only limiting factor on many half ton's when it comes to towing the heavier TT's.

As you are aware the 30DSRE is a 34ft long TT (GVWR 8,200lbs), but many folks find that towing at a 13% to 15% loaded tongue weight enhances TV handling with the long TT's, so be mindful of this in less than ideal towing conditions towing at 10%. I like the floorplan of the 30DSRE, the open living/kitchen area and plenty of windows to let the light in.

The Anderson WDH is relatively new on the market and seems to be getting fair reviews based on the short time it's been in use. Lot of first hand usage info on the Anderson WDH here: http://www.rv.net/forum/ (search: Anderson hitch)

Bob

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #48

WD hitches don't displace weight back to the TT axels, rather it distributes some of the TW to the forward axel of the TV. Others can give you physics on how this happens, I just know weight isn't be sent back to the TT but rather forward. The entire TT TW is being carried by your TV.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #49

Angry

[QUOTE=clubhouse;112200]WD hitches don't displace weight back to the TT axels, rather it distributes some of the TW to the forward axel of the TV. Others can give you physics on how this happens, I just know weight isn't be sent back to the TT but rather forward. The entire TT TW is being carried by your TV.[/QUOTE

Hi,
This is directly from the Reese web-site that describes the function of a WD system.

What is Weight Distribution?

Try to think of a Weight Distribution Hitch System as a bridge connecting the towing vehicle and the trailer. It has an adjustable under truss system called spring bars that join the V of the trailer to the hitch head and the receiver hitch to evenly distribute the weight.
The head bolts to the shank to ensure proper height and the shank slides into the receiver hitch which is bolted to the towing vehicle. The weight is then more evenly distributed between both axles of the towing vehicle and the trailer itself.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
Curt Q20 hitch
Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #50

Here's another explanation from Reese.

Weight Distribution FAQs

A Weight Distribution (WD) System takes the natural center of the weight off of your trailer hitch and distributes it between the tow vehicle and the trailer wheels.
Rather than merely supporting the trailer tongue weight (TW), Weight Distributing Hitches apply leverage between the towing vehicle and trailer causing the TW to be carried by all axles of both the tow vehicle and the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
WD hitches don't displace weight back to the TT axels, rather it distributes some of the TW to the forward axel of the TV. Others can give you physics on how this happens, I just know weight isn't be sent back to the TT but rather forward. The entire TT TW is being carried by your TV.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
Curt Q20 hitch