Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

Thumbs up New 2017 264BHW Owner

I am BRAND new to this forum community. My wife and I attended the Southwest RV Super Show in Dallas this past weekend. After 8 hours and looking at 90 TT's later we decided to go with the 2017 Jayco Jayflight 264BHW. We found a dealer that is selling it for $12,995. We ordered the sway bar hitch for better security pulling the TT. I have a 2012 Ford F150 3.7L SuperCrew with 14.5 WB. My towing capacity says 5800 pounds according to the dealer so I believe I will be OK pulling this thing. We are super excited to own one. We drive down to Austin this Friday to pick it up and sign the papers. We plan on taking it out for weekend camping the last weekend of October close to where we live near Lake Lewisville here in Texas. Any advice for n00bies in the RV world? Anything to keep in mind when pulling it, backing it up, etc? Anything and everything is welcomed. Thanks in advance -- GeoTrain
geotrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

Geo,

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!

Regarding the truck and tt combo, looking at the "brochure" dry weights you are at the very upper end of your truck and tt combo if not possibly over a little once you load the tt.

The listed dry weight of 4600lbs is generally without any options, even those that may be mandatory options. Your tt will probably weigh a little closer to 5000lbs per the yellow sticker that is on/in the tt. Being a bunkhouse I am guessing you have a kid or possibly two??? Your '12 F150 tow rating was still by the old standard which was a 150lb driver in the truck, with no one else/ nothing else in the truck or truck bed. Every additional pound over the 150lbs for the driver reduces the tow rating. Not saying your truck won't pull the tt, just know that it may not perform as expected. Pending the family weight, try to load everything you can in the trailer. And use caution not to exceed the trucks payload (all passengers, cargo (coolers, bikes, etc), any accessories added to the truck, the wdh, and the tt tw all count toward the trucks payload.

You may need to readjust the wdh once you have loaded the tt for a trip. The dealer is only setting up the wdh to an empty trailer. If needed, follow my signature link(s) for a ton of wdh info.

If you do not have very much experience towing a trailer, take turns wider than you would not towing. You don't want to clip the front of a car when making left turns, or the curb when making right turns. Find a big, empty parking lot and practice!!! Buy a couple small orange cones and practice getting the tt tires as close as possible without running them over. And when backing, get out and look before proceeding. And use a spotter (your wife) to make sure you won't hit anything that's on the ground or in the air (branches, house over hang, etc).

Good luck and enjoy the new rig!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #3

Congrats and enjoy the camper. I have the same 2015 model and tow with a 2005 F150 5.3L (9500Lbs). I can comfortably tow but I can definitely feel it and do not feel comfortable negotiating hilly country or even mountains for longer trips. My plan is a upgrade to an F250 ...for future camper upgrade too..

Your truck is right at the limit and with full gear you will be pushing the limits for sure. Another tip on towing. Turn off the overdrive feature when towing (or your truck may have a towing mode).
craighope70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #4

Totally Understood

Yeah I may upgrade my truck sometime in the near future, until then I realize I'm at the upper end of my towing but I have NO problem going super slow. We go to Colorado occasionally (once every two years, elevation town 7000 feed) the rest of the time will be spent traveling flat land Florida, Texas, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and New Mexico so I believe we'll be fine. Anyone else care to chime in, any and all comments welcome.
geotrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #5

The gross vehicle weight of the trailer you are looking at is 6500lbs which is over your towing capacity. You can't go by the dry weights or brochure weights of the trailer you are looking at. They will always be heavier than that.

What is the payload of your vehicle? Is should be on a sticker on your drivers side door jamb. It should read "The weight of all cargo and occupants should never exceed _____"

I don't think you will be payload limited based on your vehicle though. My guess is a drive train limitation due to the 3.7L or your gear ratio/transmission. Overtaxing your engine or transmission in this case could be costly. Transmissions aren't cheap!

If upgrading your truck is not an option you should look for a smaller, lighter trailer or the towing experience might not be an enjoyable one.

This might be more appropriate....
2017 Jay Feather 7 22BHM | Jayco, Inc.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #6

You'll do fine. I go slow too. I put the cruise on 60 or 65 and let er go. MPG is around a whopping 6. I figure I can go 120 miles on a tank of gas.

My wife always have the debate around longer trips whether to tow the rig or get a hotel room. ...depending on where we go.
craighope70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264bhw, n00bie, texas