Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2021, 08:40 PM   #1

New 2021 Jayco just bought, already have problems

Just picked up my first Jayco Travel Trailer 4 day ago. Was told fridge is a 12V DC only. Brought it home, turned fridge/freezer on, set to 5 for coldest setting. Next morning, it was beeping with an error code E5. Powered off, plugged 7way into car and left car running. Took for a quick w/e trip. Drove 4 hours, still fridge/freezer didn't cool off at all. Thankfully, this was a 2 day trip so food didn't have time to spoil. Upon arrival at campground, plugged trailer into campground power. Still didn't cool off. Have a call into the dealer service dept. Hopefully, they can help.
Timolajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:59 PM   #2

I am guessing that is a norcold. If you recently washed the trailer or had a lot of rain that may have caused it to trip. Remove the vent cover and check and see if the limit switch red light is on. If it is a constant red it needs reset.. If it is solid red that may be your issue. Happened to me and if so, take a magnet and place it to the right of the switch. See a video for clearer instructions on how to reset it. That is how I reset mine and no issue since.....
Old 08-16-2021, 10:20 PM   #3

It is Norcold

First, thanks for the suggestion. Fridge is a norcold. However, since it is a 12V DC only fridge, the only thing I can get to is the small vent on the outside of the trailer. I have tried researching and found nothing to reset the 12V DC fridges which is why I have a call into the dealer. I actually tried calling them Saturday while at the campground. They were busy and couldn't take the call, receptionist suggested I call the extended service plan company. I did and was told that powering off for 5 minutes should reset, but it didn't work. Shouldn't have to deal with this type of major stuff on a brand new travel trailer though. If it was something simple, I wouldn't have a problem with fixing the issue if I had a clue what to do.
Timolajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:39 AM   #4

I've read that someone recently discovered that turning it down from the coldest setting actually worked best in the beginning when first turning it on. The freezer part gets too cold too fast and limits the cooling process of the fridge below.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #5

Should never need to be on highest setting. If it does, something is wrong, besides, it will take up to 24 hours to see a difference take place after a setting adjustment.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:53 AM   #6

[QUOTE=16WhiteColly;991270]Should never need to be on highest setting. If it does, something is wrong, besides, it will take up to 24 hours to see a difference take place after a setting adjustment. I replaced my two way Norcold with a small residential, because of cooling problems. Another thing, level is very important for correct cooling.