Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #1

New 23b Owner

I've been a member here but haven't been on in a long time. We purchased our first camper together in 2013. Got engaged, married and made a baby plus had lots of family memories in our little 98 12udk popup.

Per the usual my wife was tired of the up and down and 1 hour + setup/teardown time and the constant re-arranging of "stuff" to do so We looked last summer for for a 23b and looked at about a half dozen of them but all had major to significant water damage from lack of maintenance. After finding out we were having our 3rd kid we decided we didn't have enough money to keep looking with all the unknown bills that would be coming in.

This year she really wanted a bathroom in addition to the up/down riomorole. I guess using kitty litter in a bucket in the middle of the night is a little crummy. With our family dynamics I too have been longing for quicker setup. We use the camper as a hotel room frequently and on several occasions we setup after midnight.

2 weekends ago the wife was fed up and pissed at moving things around 7 times and handling the baby while I was taking care of outside stuff. Monday she paid off her car and Tuesday I got a REALLY nice raise. Her co-worker sent her a listing for a 23b, the model we wanted. At first I was like no. Not happening. Then I decided to message the seller, then call him. Before I knew it I talked to the bank and had an appointment setup for the weekend.

Well Saturday was a horrid day for the huskers but a great day for us. Picked up a Nice Clean 06 for 6700. Roof had been replaced and maintenance after the fact had been done. Everything worked. 2 new tires, new battery, equalizer hitch, gizmos, hoses, ext. cords. level blocks, all led's etc. The seller was a young guy who bought it from an older couple and lived in it for 2 months at a job site. He was very nice and pointed out every single flaw. It is by far the nicest of this vintage we had seen.

It was 2.5 hours away so we trecked out and back then popped up the 12UDK, moved everything over and headed to the lake. By 10 we had everything in it's "home".

Setup and tear down is very nice. Much less stressful. The propane heater is nice and the bathroom was fantastic as my wife and I both had colds.

The awning needs re-tentioned and the step is janky. Otherwise it's GTG.

We are so happy I just had to share.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Great for your family to make more memories, thanks for sharing your story.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

Prior to our current trailer we had an ‘06 23b. It was awesome. Our daughter called the back area her “suite.” Make sure you do some reading. You want to check the AC tightness at least once a year. Pop-up Gizmos are awesome for the ends.

Enjoy!
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #4

we love our 2012 X23B. We get out so much more often now. It is never a chore.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #6

Congratulations on the great research, patience and ultimate purchase!!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #7

Congratulations on the new Jayco and welcome to the forum. Glad to hear that things worked out for the family. It will make life much more enjoyable.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:30 AM   #8

Congratulations!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:01 AM   #9
Site Team

Congratulations
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #10

Way to go on the 23B! We had ours for 14 years, raised our kids in it, and hated to see it go. The kids are now in college, and we upgraded to a White Hawk to get us later into the season here in Colorado. You and the family are in a great unit, enjoy!
Tom
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #11

Had a great weekend in it this weekend. Not really a "camping" trip but we still got out to one of our local parks. Since it's new the wife wanted to camp in it with the kids (we only get them every other weekend and Monday/Wednesday. I wanted another shake down trip. We are leaving friday to go 4 hours north to the inlaws and it's in the boonies. Basically an hour to get anything other than food and gas. I had a list of things to get accomplished

First up was mounting the TV. Got that done Thursday night after I got setup. Second was test out the RVQ. Check pork chops were good.

Fridge had been on for a day but was only at 65 degree when I picked it up. It's had the rear fan installed but it has a thermostat. I removed that and made it on/off only. This seemed to help. Also running on propane made a good difference too. I checked the flame and it was burning well and I think I may have been close to being out of propane AND that side of the camper in the storage lot gets pounded by sun and it was 97 Thursday. All not good factors. After making the fan on/off it worked fine all weekend even in the heat.

Both outside storage door hold opens were busted so I replaced those.

The awning needed to be hand rolled up. Luckily my best friend and I had just done a total rebuilt on his so I knew what I was doing. Unwinding the left side I found it was short 3 twists. The ratchet side only had 3 of the 15! Well there's the problem! Now it works great.

The AC was too loud and the TV not loud enough. I pulled the radio out to find an aux input so off to walmart and I bought a cable and ran it from the TV through the cabinets over to the radio. Now I have good sound. We don't watch a ton of TV but is nice when it's raining or when we are hotelling in it.

Had some time to re-arrange things. How in the world do people fill up the storage and these? I mean I would like more outside storage. I think the drawer will disappear in the realtively near future but man half of our inside storage is not even used. I'm sure we'll fill it up at some point.

I know it's only been 2 weeks but we are still loving it. Setup/tear down was so smooth.

I'm looking for outdoor speakers now. I really like this https://kingconnect.com/rv-bluetooth-outdoor-light/ but not the price tag or the fact that it doesn't have an aux in. I would like my radio to play over it so I can play the general radio. I will probably breakdown and get one at some point just because it's exactly what I want otherwise.

I'm also looking at doing something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/xtf2015-Chang...%2Bcamper&th=1
for under the awning. I haven't decided yet. The price is good enough I can't get hurt on it.

So far I'm enjoying git. I hope that trend continues because it's SOOOO nice!
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote