Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2017, 10:58 AM   #1

New and panicking

Hi everyone. My wife and are set to take delivery of a 2018 eagle Ht 29.5 bhds tomorrow. It will be our first rv, but I grew up in a family that camped often.

I must say, after reading a post on Facebook today and going through some of the threads on this page I'm getting very nervous about the purchase. The main reason I decided on Jayco(grand design 28bh was our 2nd choice) was because of how long they have been in business and their reputation for quality. My dad has a 15 year old eagle that is still in excellent shape.

I know that every new RV will have bugs that need to be worked out, but some of the stories I just read of multiple owners having similar problems, and expressing disappointment in Jayco customer service is disheartening.

Please, someone tell me I'm not crazy for buying a Jayco tomorrow lol

Thanks
Tony
Bishop 295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:01 AM   #2

You will love that new Jayco!
Old 07-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #3

Few post about being trouble free. This does not mean that few have trouble free experiences.
Most post when they have a problem
So you are not getting a true representation from sampling posts

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop 295 View Post
disappointment in Jayco customer service is disheartening.
Thanks
Tony
The dealer is the key to good service and follow-up from JAYCO. Over the last 16 years I have never been let down when it comes to getting warranty approval or parts shipped.

Just remember JAYCO shipped 40,000 units last year and you very rarely hear from the "Happy Campers"..
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #5

Congratulations on the new Eagle and welcome to the forum.

Don't panic, but don't expect perfection. We had a few fit & finish issues and a sagging bed. Our dealer handled them quickly.

As Kim Gass said, reading forum postings you are not getting an unbiased view.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #6

Congrats, just remember that people don't usually brag about how round their tires are or how perfect the stove works. But if there is a loose hing on the cabinet they will complaint about it all day long. Enjoy what you got and use it until it breaks.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi everyone. My wife and are set to take delivery of a 2018 eagle Ht 29.5 bhds tomorrow. It will be our first rv, but I grew up in a family that camped often.

I must say, after reading a post on Facebook today and going through some of the threads on this page I'm getting very nervous about the purchase. The main reason I decided on Jayco(grand design 28bh was our 2nd choice) was because of how long they have been in business and their reputation for quality. My dad has a 15 year old eagle that is still in excellent shape.

I know that every new RV will have bugs that need to be worked out, but some of the stories I just read of multiple owners having similar problems, and expressing disappointment in Jayco customer service is disheartening.

Thanks
Tony
Congratulation on your new 2018 eagle Ht 29.5 bhds. As others have said, very few report good things regarding their RVs. We have had ours for just 1 1/2 months and are enjoying it immensely. There have been some minor issues that have arisen and our dealer, Johnnie Walker RV in Las Vegas, has been outstanding. They have been able to address the minor issues we have encountered. So far, Jayco has been very good about honoring all our concerns, through our dealer, with the 2-year warranty on the RV. I don't recall other builders offering a 2-year warranty. As Grumpy said, work with your dealer. What made us decide on the dealer we purchased from is their great reputation for customer service.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:

OK, Tony, you're not crazy. Look, the ONLY PEOPLE YOU HEAR FROM on these forums are the ones who run into issues. And trust me, they are a tiny minority. As you say, it's not unusual to find a minor issue or two - I have. But I'm in my third year with a Jayco trailer, and I'm literally a happy camper! We liked our first one so much that we traded it in for a bigger one after just one season. The minor issues I've run into have been just that: minor. I had a couple of loose plumbing fittings, a bad vacuum check valve on my black tank flush system, a shower door that needed to be rehung, and a bad window seal that only showed up in a downpour that included gale force winds.

Dude, things like the plumbing fittings WILL come loose thanks to the vibration we subject these things to when we haul 'em around. I've learned to check them a couple of times a year. Meanwhile, my dealer has been extremely supportive.

Hopefully you won't run into anything major, and you'll just love it. My best to you and the fam!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #9

Don't be nervous be diligent. Get up on the roof check it out turn on every switch,check every plug.Everything in the camper.Go down the MSRP lists to make sure everything is there.I spent two months waiting on battery boxes.There our PDI inspection check lists online!If you are unable to do so,there are RV inspectors you can hire.I would not take possessions of that camper until all items are repaired, all.I have read to many times of owners waiting months to get warranty repairs done.I swore we would never own a new RV again.But I did 12 years later not much has changed!Awful warranty service in Phoenix. Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
AJ NEW YRS.jpeg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:22 PM   #10

I wouldn't worry. As others have said, you rarely hear from people on forums that don't have problems.

If it helps you sleep at night, we took delivery of a 2017 29.5bhds just before Christmas. It has been 100% problem free, and we've put a couple thousand miles on it in 3 trips plus full timed in it with a family of 4 plus 2 dogs and a cat for 2 months of a michigan winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #11

you'll love your new Jayco!! Welcome for Southern Mass
Marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #12

Congratulations and welcome!

As the others have said, I wouldn't worry. The complaints are a from a small minority as folks aren't going to write about the good stuff. Will you find some minor stuff that needs repair, probably, but that's the name of the game. We had minor stuff on both of our units, but nothing that would stop me recommending Jayco - in fact we just ordered a Pinnacle. I asked our dealer about the "rash of complaints" that people are making, and they didn't know what I was talking about as they aren't seeing the spike in warranty claims and/or service calls.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the rational responses to bring me back to reality
Bishop 295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:08 PM   #14

As others have said, you primarily hear the bad, not the good.

A good dealership is worth their weight in gold! Personally I think the dealerships give Jayco and the other brands a bad reputation. These rigs are all handmade, not like a car made via robots, that never have a bad day. So yes you will find a few fit and finished issues, you may even find a few other issues. A good dealer will step up and fix them right away.

During your walk through, test everything, check everything, try every mode, and option. On our htt, the radio would not send the DVD signal to the TV. It was replaced before we were done with the rest of the walk through.

As noted above these things are made my humans, and mistakes happen. Our dealer accidentally installed a trailer hitch on our HTT, it was suppose to go on a different 23B that was in the shop for its PDI at the same time as ours, it did not hurt my feelings.

We had a number of small things we found the first year, all of them I could have taken care of, but I let the dealer do it. I was always friendly, always let them know when I needed it back by, and they always complied. On last thing to remember, these campers are like a rolling earth quake, as they roll down the road.

Happy camping!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #15

This is important and I didn't see it mentioned. Just make sure you do a very thorough PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION before you give the dealer the money. We spent 3 hours checking everything out. Dealer Tech wasn't happy about it and I told him he could leave and we will call him when we were done. We found some minor things and had it fixed on the spot. Also found a lot of drill shavings at various places and had the dealer clean that out.
Throughout this, we were always nice and polite to the dealer and the technician and never got angry.

Go up and check the roof, Look for bad caulking or places screws are sticking up. Look for bumps under the rubber roof material.
Check around all the skylights, vents, AC and antennae's for bad caulking jobs.Look at the water fittings under the sink and cabinets (bathroom) Do everything you can to find flaws. Look under the beds and into all the storage compartments. (You may find wood and drill shavings). Test the Hot water heater on both electric and propane. Test the refrigerator. We called the dealer the day before and had them turn it on before we got there and it was cold when we arrived. Check all the lights. Check the awning for smooth extension and retraction.
I really scrutinized to find anything at all I could find and had it all resolved on the spot BEFORE we gave the dealer any money.
We have had the 28BHBE 1 3/4 years now and the only issue we really had was the TV antennae leaked early this summer. Pinched o ring inside the housing and we got it fixed under warranty. That was the only issue we had since bringing the trailer home. We found all the other issues (all minor) on the dealers lot and had them all fixed on the spot.
A lot of time spent NOW saves a lot of time going back to the dealer or elsewhere later after you get home and start finding things.

Jayco has been very good about the issues we did find and got them repaired in a timely matter. It is usually the dealers that give the issues with getting things done/fixed.
We love our 28BHBE, have been very happy with it and recommend Jayco.

Hope this helps.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:54 PM   #16

Quote:

Stay Calm, and have a great time.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:34 PM   #17

Don't worry! We have over 4400 miles on our 2016 Eagle and it has never had a return trip to the dealer for any warranty work. Had a minor issue (leak under bathroom sink) that was easier to fix myself than to take it in for warranty work. Enjoy the new unit!
Jack
Old 08-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #18

We got a new 2017 that we ordered from the dealer that had a few custom requests. Jayco followed through just fine. It is the dealer's service department that will make/break the impression of owning a Jayco. Get to know the service team (manager/writer). They are the ones who will be greenlighting repairs on issues. Get to know what is covered and what is not. What they will do and what they won't.

As an example, I had a furnace failure, brought it in, they fixed it. When it broke again, I worked with the manager and instead of bringing it back in again he sent a tech out to my house. If the dealership really cares about their reputation they usually give good customer service. Good luck.

BTW, the furnace issue was on a Forrest River product......
Aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #19
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote