Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
Site Team

Well, it will be nice when you get it! Be campin` in no time....

Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #12

Well, after 8+ hours, we finally got the SLX 16XRB home. It scraped on the way into my driveway thanks to my nasty concrete apron angle. Gotta come up with a solution for that.

Sloppy park job because I got in at 10 PM and was beat. Definitely think I am going to need a WDH...

Here are some pics...

First trip to Cape May this weekend. All 4 of us are looking forward to it!

billycuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #13

Timbren kit from Amazon will arrive today, so I am going to put that on the car tonight so that it's ready to go for our cape may trip tomorrow. Getting closer!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #14

Be very careful Billy....it appears you have a lot tongue weight the way the empty travel vehicle is crouching. That cantilevered, cobbled together monstrosity your dealer installed on the rear isn't helping.

Keep your speeds low and safe until you can get weighed at the scales and get a WDH / anti sway solution installed.

Have a great, safe outing!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #15

Yeah, it's a shame that 8" extension was needed/used. The 12" drop bar is about an inch from lining up with the pin hole without it. Hoping the Timbren kit gets me by until I can get the WDH.

The WDH should fit without hitting the bumper, so I will be able to get rid of the 8" extension which will save some LBS.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #16

Get loaded (your travel trailer and vehicle - not you personally), get weighed at the scales. Then get with your vehicle mfg and a qualified hitch installer to find out what your installed hitch, TT A-frame and vehicle tongue weight can handle. The hitch installer can match you up safely.

Equal-I-zer is a good brand and it incorporates both WDH and anti-sway.....

Name:  th.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  5.5 KB Click image for larger version

Name:	medbillshank.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	9327
Old 08-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #17

Success! The timbren kit allows me to eliminate the need for a 12" drop. I can use a 6" drop now, and there is virtually no noticeable sag anymore. We'll see how it rides, but so far so good...
Old 08-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycuth View Post
I can use a 6" drop now, and there is virtually no noticeable sag anymore. We'll see how it rides, but so far so good...
Once you get the two vehicles fully loaded down.....your tongue weight WILL change!

Good luck - happy, safe camping!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #19

I'd imagine so... I will take some pics soon, but it was dark by the time I got the timbren kit installed and the trailer hooked up to the van. It took me **** near 4 hours and a lot of cussing to get some of the old bolts off, and then lining the lower control arm while trying to counteract a spring on both sides was a major PITA!

But you see in my first ever pic where there's no space between the fender and the tire? Well, now I have at least 2" there, and the trailer is as loaded as we need it for now. All that will be going in the car are a few clothing items and of course my 4 passengers! (wife, 2 boys and dog)...

Looking forward to tonight!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #20

The trip to Cape May NJ was a success! My tires were surprisingly low on the way down so the trailer felt heavier going than coming. I checked them before we left and added about 10PSI to both tires.

My only issue is the low point drain. It does not work.

The dealer said he thought there was water in the tank when we did our walkthrough and he was showing us the low point drain. Well, the readout on the monitor showed 2/3 tank. I just figured the monitor was unreliable because I don't trust electronics. But I pressurized the system and sure enough there was plenty of water....

So I just ran it through the system and the dump station to empty it. But it sure would be nice if that low point drain worked. Any ideas?