Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2017, 06:07 AM   #1

New from Florida

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Jayco Hummingbird FD. I am so excited, just like I am sure all Newbies are. I will pick it up next Tuedsay, can't wait. I have had two travel trailers in the past (over twenty years ago) so I have forgotten quite a bit. I have been reading many posts on this forum as well a watching many videos on You Tube. I have found both to be extreamly helpful. I remember I had great difficulty backing up in the past. Who am I kidding, I never backed it up. As a matter of fact whenever I went to a site which required that maneuver I never attempted to back up. I just sat in my vehicle until some nice person came up to me and asked if I needed help. My answer was always "yes." Then that person would back my unit up into the spot. There was always some nice person willing to help. Thank goodness for that and all of you who have done so for folks like me.

Last week I called some CDL schools in hopes of taking a class. I was told their classes were intended for professional drivers in the trucking industry. One gentleman suggested I practice in a large parking lot late at night or in the early morning hours. I plan on doing just that. I do think there would be a market for a school that was for folks like me who purchase an RV or Travel Trailer and have very limited experience. I almost feel it should be mandatory. If anyone knows of such a school I would appreciate the information.

Even though I haven't picked up my Hummingbird, I have made seven campsite reservations so far. Two in Smoky Mountain National Park and five in Florida State Parks. Wow, I found that in Florida State Parks I need to make reservation up to eleven months in advance in some of the parks. What a wake up call! I think much of this may be due to the migration of Snowbirds, just need to add one Hummingbird to that migration pattern. No worries, have found spots in most parks. Can't wait to go camping. I love the scenery, wildlife and fishing. Time to start enjoying the great outdoors.
Marlin1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the purchase of your new JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Yes it takes a lot of planning when trying to secure a state park site here in FL. We have been lucky 2x. We lucked out on cancellations.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #3

Hello and welcome from the Texas Coast ....
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #4

Welcome to the JOF!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #5

Congrats and welcome from North Texas (a former Floridian).
Old 03-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #6

Maybe Your dealer can help with the backing situation!
Wilcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
Site Team

Welcome from Western NY! Unfortunately, we're not BORN with the ability to back up trailers or 5ers. It does take a little practice, and you will get better at it. Remember to get out and look before backing, have a spotter help, go slowly, and see how the TT reacts to your steering. And MOST importantly, do not get frustrated. I've been backing trailers for years. The first few times with my FIL's fifth wheel was an absolute disaster! After three or four tries, it was easier. Practice, and have fun with it!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting a new Hummingbird! The backing up just takes practice. Have fun and happy camping!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #9

Congratulations on your new Jayco and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #10
M&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin1357 View Post
...just need to add one Hummingbird to that migration pattern.
Like that- welcome from Orlando!
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #11

Congrats and welcome from KS ( originally from FL). My sister and her husband still reside near Orlando and also own a Jayco. Meeting them in Nashville this summer. Backing will come with practice. I went from a pop up to a 31' trailer. It took several tries to get it in our narrow drive but now it's a piece of cake.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #12

Hello and welcome. Congo Ratz on the new rig.
The advice you have received so far regarding backing up is sound. I know it can be daunting, and a pain in the rear to hook up the trailer and go somewhere just to practice, but do it. The rewards will outweigh the pain.
I can guarantee you that out of every member here at JOF, not a single one of us ever started out good at backing trailers up, and many of us have had some close calls and not so good oopsies! Every close call and every oops only makes up better.

As for all of you Floridians and Texans and other in the lower southern climbs who are making reservations and going camping right now.
You all make me sick!!! I can't stand any of you. LMAO!!! only because my TT is currently snow bound and there is no way it is coming out till all this white stuff thaws... Once I am camping again, and enjoying our 70 degree summers, I will like you all again. lol
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #13

Google backing a travel trailer. There are sites out there that will tell you how to position your camper before backing as in how far to pull up past your space an approx how far away to be from it Hopefuly it will give you a starting point with your practice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk