Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #1

New from Kentucky

My wife's grandmother, who is 82 years young, decided to hang up her Good Sam vest this year and sold her '00 Designer 2730W Class C to us. Needless to say we were very surprised and very blessed to have the ability to move up from a tent to an RV in one shot.

Our rig has only 11K miles on it, so we're hoping to get many years and many miles out of it. It came from Oklahoma (Grandma was the original owner) so it's completely rust and rot-free. The interior is like new, except for some minor repairs that need to be made to the day-night shades (new strings) and a couple of drawer slides.

We've only had a couple of outings thus far, but are looking forward to hitting the road as often as we can in 2010.
jnewkirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #2

Hi jnewkirk77 and welcome to the Jayco Forum! Wow, I hope I can enjoy camping/rv-ing until I'm into my 80's! Sounds like you made a great investment as well as an awesome upgrade from the tent! Happy camping!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #3

Thanks, healthi! To be honest, I BEGGED Grandma to keep the rig, because she has enjoyed camping for so long (nearly 50 years). But Grandpa passed on 15 years ago and my father-in-law died last year, so she doesn't have anyone nearby who could go with her any longer, and she is determined not to be a "burden" to anyone (not that she is, was or ever could be!!!).

Our buying the rig was, as you can well imagine, somewhat bittersweet, but I have had a lot of fun tinkering with it. I had to free up the switch in the water pump (not difficult) and get the generator running (fairly difficult). But the good news is those fixes cost me nothing but time, and being disabled due to a degenerative spinal disorder, as I am, I have plenty of that!

The good news is that now when we travel, I don't have to put up with cheap motels or driving straight through to distant places any longer -- we have first-class accommodations wherever we go!
Old 11-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum. Very glad to have you on board. I hope you enjoy the forum as well as your new camping and RV'ing experiences. The good thing about RV'ing absolutely is not to worry with staying in motels. We don't have to worry aboout who slept in the bed last.

Again, glad to have you.

Jim
Priscilla, best friend & navigator.
Hank (5 year old black & tan Dachshund)
Cocoa (3 year old brown & tan dapple Dachshund)
2010 Fleetwood Excursion 30a
Toad is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X
(We traded in our F250 and Jayco Eagle)
One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #5

Thanks! Glad to be here!!! And I definitely second your opinion on the bed situation! Some motels we've stayed in when I was just too tired to drive, well, let's just say I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
We don't have to worry aboout who slept in the bed last.
LOL! How true...
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #7

Welcome, glad to see another Bluegrass State person. I live in the eastern portion, Pikeville. I have been through your part of the state several times, about 5-1/2 hr drive.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #8

Hey, glazier! Nice to see another Kentuckian on board as well. I personally think Eastern KY is much prettier and more scenic than our part of the Bluegrass! I'd like to get over that way again in 2010, but it will depend on how many other trips we end up taking. I know of at least two trips to OK we're planning on in addition to our usual closer-to-home stays, plus my brother is getting married in Indianapolis in April. Haven't decided whether we're going to a CG for that or stay in a motel ... wife wants motel, I want to stay in a CG. But I also know that central Indiana in April can still be cold and snowy (I know ... I've lived through it!), so she might get her way, unfortunately. Sure don't want to risk wrecking the rig in case of foul weather!