Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #21

I also spent some time at N Charleston SC working with the SPAWAR guys who had our maintenance support for the NAVAL Space Surveillance Field stations across the bottom part of the US. Spent a many days with folks like Francis Alston and his team workers from the mid 60's to present time... I retired from all of that in 2010...

Used to hit all of the bars in North Charleston areas along the Dorchester Road... Worked with a group of guys from the Multronics Inc group that had contracts with SPAWAR.

That area of N Charleston is great party town...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I also spent some time at N Charleston SC working with the SPAWAR guys who had our maintenance support for the NAVAL Space Surveillance Field stations across the bottom part of the US. Spent a many days with folks like Francis Alston and his team workers from the mid 60's to present time... I retired from all of that in 2010...

Used to hit all of the bars in North Charleston areas along the Dorchester Road... Worked with a group of guys from the Multronics Inc group that had contracts with SPAWAR.

That area of N Charleston is great party town...

Roy Ken
Dang! It is a small world for sure! My Father in Law was an electrician at the Charleston Naval Ship Yard. When they closed the ship yard down, he went to Kings Bay Georgia, and then retired and moved back to Charleston in the mid 90's.
dwdlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Rend Lake is double edged sword to me... Before REND LAKE I roamed all of the roads and both creeks just NorthWest of Bonnie ILL in my childhood days back in the 50's... Casey Creek from the Bonnie Camp grounds to the Kellers farm road was where I headed for everyday haha... There was a great Indian Ruins there and a whole bunch of good roaming woods trails. We lived on a 40Acre farm back them which came right up to the Little Casey Creek.

We neighborhood boys had a great fort built on the West side of the Creek with only a log to walk across to get to it. We defended our Fort from the bigger boys and was pretty good at it until one of them got a BB gun for Christmas..

Now our farm house and barn is totally gone and the Rend lake comes right up to the where the back door of the house once stood. This area is now a boat launch area for Rend Lake.

I guess progress is number one but this sure covered over my early home stomping grounds for me...

Roy Ken
Well, I certainly understand where you are coming from. You have a unique perspective on the lake, and I can see where it's a double edge sword for sure. That would sting a little
dwdlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #24

DWDIT - Used to deal with Scott AFB some as well... They were in charge of all the comm IT circuits for us here in VA... Back in the 50's again I got to go to Scott as a Civil Air Patrol leader. Had my CAP LT bars on and the whole thing haha...

I was in the Air Force for 9 years and then over 30 years as a DOD CS Fed employee here at Dahlgren VA... Had a fun career...

Never had the school education but was point person on many Electronics and IT systems haha... When asked where did you got to school I always said Horse Creek University...

Roy Ken

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 11-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #25
Site Team

I was stationed in CAFB active from 62 to 65. Joined reserves for 14 more there in ATC Radar repair.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #26

Welcome, headed to Herrin this weekend. Hopefully it's not to windy, coming down from northern Il.

FireCapt564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #27

NORTY1 - I got involved with SPAWAR EAST in the late 60's and they was setup in a bldg just off the Montaque Exit on 26. This bldg got damaged real bad when the big hurricane came thru there and SPAWAR relocated to a hugh new complex at the ANNEX area where the NAVY JAIL is located... ALot of things got water logged there on base haha. We were the last civilians that stayed in the Barracks qtrs on base.

Had a funny there where we used to get stopped by gate guards everytime we left the base at night. They would look in the rental car and flag us in through. We never got stopped coming in the base with our sticker attached to the renal car. i finally stopped and asked why we always got stopped when leaving the base. The answer was the girls was always hiding the sailors in their cars and taking them off base to go bar hopping haha... go figure...

We would be crossing the big river on the 524 bypass road heading for MT Pleasant to get some beach time and look down in the river and see submarine para scopes sticking out of the water cruising on into the base I guess.

I liked that area big time... Always something to do...

Roy Ken

Old 11-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #28
Site Team

I left the AF active and went to work and retired from Bell South, now ATT. Knew lots of Spawar folks in my job.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote