Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #1

New from VA

Hi I am a complete newbie to TT’s. We have been looking at used 23b’s. I think I have found a pretty good deal on an 05. It’s about 200 miles from home, from a private owner. I am in northern VA and the TT is in NJ. I am going to try to go take a look at it this Saturday (if the snow is not to bad). The main reason for my post is about checking the pluming and the hot water tank. The TT has been winterized and from reading lots of post here, it sounds like it will take quite a bit of water to flush the antifreeze. Then I would have to re-winterize just for the 4 hour drive home. I can’t think of any other way to check the Hot water tank. I guess I will have to take the owners word that it works. As for the pump and the rest of the pluming, I thought I would take a couple of gallons of antifreeze along and check the pump and plumbing by just pumping more antifreeze through the system. Due to the freezing temps I just don’t know of any simple way to check if the Hot water tank works or if all the tanks are leak free. Checking the Air Conditioning might even be tough in this weather, it definitely won’t be a stress test. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
johnpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #2

Welcome to the site
GL with checking out the 05, sorry don't have advice on winterizing being in FL and all.

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum from extreme Eastern Va. Yeah the only way to check the hot water heater would be to fill it, turn it on and see if it heats up, then drain it after. As with any used RV, look for any signs of leaks inside the unit and check the roof/sealant condition. Also check the floor for soft spots. Since that is a hybrid, give the bunk doors/seals and tentage a good look over as well.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #4

John;

In addition to whats been noted...I would try to find an experienced RV Owner as a best friend FAST (and take him / her with you). Hopefully the owner has impeccable service records and the title, tags, registration and insurance are all current.

I would have it my mind to be to drop about $1,000 in when you get home for battery, tires, wheel bearing packing, and brakes / brake inspection (etc / etc) - especially if it's been sitting / unused for a few years.

Best wishes!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote