Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #1

New guy from Texas

Hey, guys! I grew up camping in a Jayco popup with my parents, but my wife and I have been tent camping quite a few times. We went with my in-laws and spent Memorial Day weekend in their Jayco fifth-wheel, and decided we should try to find a used popup to take on our own excursions. We bought a 96 model 1006 last night after scrounging on Craig's List for something we could afford. Got it for $1600, with a roof mount ac unit from another rv. Hopefully the ac works and isn't too big to put on this camper, cuz it's HOT here in North Texas! Lol. Haven't had a chance to actually take any pics, as the trailer isn't even at our house yet. My wife and Father -in-Law are going to pick it up this morning with his truck(we don't yet have a hitch on our '08 HHR. That's the project for this weekend, I hope!). I look forward to learning from you old hands around here, as its been 20 years since I stayed in a popup! Here are a couple pics from the online listing:
24Fanatic365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #2

Welcome to the JOF! As you have come up with questions, feel free to post 'em here. Congrats on the 'new' popup.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (first thread in New Members forum has them all listed, second thread has more new member welcoming info). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #4

Welcome aboard - Be sure to drag you camper up to the Wichita Mtn WildLife Refuge at Medicine Park OKLA. Maybe you have tent camped up there already... Having lived in the Wichita Falls area way back then we always try to get to Camp Doris whenever we can...

We like to run all of our toys off the batteries and then recharge the next morning at 8AM using the 2KW generator for a short three hour run.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

Wow - looks to be in GREAT shape. Hope the A/C mod works out for you!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #6

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! We didn't have a chance to test out the AC yesterday, as we had to order a new switch for it. The knob is broken off in the old switch. The new part should be in tomorrow or Tuesday, but since we're going camping on Wednesday with my in-laws, it may be a week and a half or so before we can work on it again.

We did spend the day yesterday working on our camper, though, just doing small odds and ends and cleaning it up. I installed a new lock on the outside storage compartment door, and we washed all of the mattress and cushion covers. We also got the rear jack stands operational again. One had a fairly badly bent foot, and neither wanted to move up or down. A little pounding with a hammer straightened the foot out, and penetrating oil got the jacks moving again. We also adjusted the hinges on the front door so it would close properly, and reattached the trim around the countertops. My wife cleaned pretty much every surface inside and out to her disinfectant standards, and we installed carpet in the outside compartment so my blocks and newly purchased chocks wouldn't slide around. I had to reattach the brackets that hold the supporting rods above the beds, as the screws had all been pulled loose. We had to rethread the elastic bands back through to the final hole on the front bed and added a new clamp so the cord would stay looped for the last attachment point. The bottom part of the door had to be adjusted so it would close properly, and we also removed the entire top portion of the door from the camper to straighten out the metal plates. They were all jacked up, bent, and crooked. After we straightened them out and reinstalled the door, everything works as it should.

We also discovered a screen room that we didn't even know we had under one of the dinette seats. I'm pretty sure it attaches to the awning and snaps to the front side of the camper to keep bloodsucking evildoers out. I didn't have the time or the energy to investigate that theory further, though, as we had done all of this work in the 104 degree high humidity heat of North Texas.

It took a lot of work, sweat, and rest periods in the house in front of the ac vents, but we've got pretty much everything whipped into shape and working as it should. Most of the fixes were very minor, but needed to be done. I think the previous owners just kind of let things go instead of doing minor fixes when they were needed. As a result, the small stuff really added up by the time we got ahold of the camper. Guess that's what you are going to face when you get a deal, right?

Here are a few "after" pics:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1011645_10201680231024958_140983868_n.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	9556Click image for larger version

Name:	1209042_10201680227384867_731407158_n.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	9557Click image for larger version

Name:	1236260_10201680230904955_1379482330_n.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	9558
Old 08-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #7

Nice job!....If you haven't already, make sure you check the tires (should be replaced every 5 years regardless) and have the bearings packed before venturing too far - too fast!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #8

New guy from Texas

Yeah, Threebutfhers, we've ready planned on both of those. The driver's side tire is pretty bald, and the spare looks like its never been on the ground, so I think for the time being we'll just swap the two of them. And while we're doing that, we'll take care of the bearings, as well. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Definitely a helpful one!