Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #1

New guy with a 287BHSW

Just wanted to say howdy!! Newbie RV'er here!

Picked up a 2017 287BHSW a week ago, drove it 4 hrs back home through winds, heavy traffic and twisty roads, but with the dealer install of my WDH and their sway control I'm pretty happy with the setup.

Got home and the kids were jumping up and down, as was I (on the inside). We're in Ontario so I'm hoping to get a few fall camping trips in yet before the snow flies.

Why Jayco? Well we towed, camped and scoped out other trailers (rentals and others) before we decided on this SLX. Storage was a big thing for us, plus that little bench by the door is just such a nice added feature. There's lots of other reasons as well, but build quality, reliability, storage, weight, towability and the interior layout were the top things on our list.

We were actually torn between the Keystone Bullet and SLX and had put a deposit on one earlier in the summer. But after doing some heavy duty research, decided to go with the Jayco. So glad we did! Lovin it! Looking forward to many years of camping fun with the kids!

I've already appreciated this forum in so many ways. Had to do a search to find that the low point drain valves are in the bathroom, under the sink.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3896.JPG   IMG_3899.JPG   IMG_3897.JPG   IMG_3893.JPG   IMG_3892.JPG  

CMYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new rig and welcome to the group!

Keep in mind you will likely need to readjust the WDH after you load the truck and trailer with all your stuff. Try to have it as close as possible to how you are going to go camping. Firewood, Coolers, Food, Family etc.

It took me a couple of tries to get mine dialed in just right.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

Thanks and yeah, good point. The guy who did the demo adjusted the WDH on the high side with the thought that once everything is loaded in it'll settle down to a normal level. The only downside was in towing it home it felt like it was affected by other cars passing by more than I expected.

I've towed a similar size rental trailer with 4 passengers and gear, and everything seemed a lot smoother, and I didn't even have a sway control installed. Engine seemed like it was working a lot harder though lol!
Old 10-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #4

My dealer told me the same thing about adjusting the hitch high. Didn't work out well for me at all. The other thing you want to do is go to a CAT Scale and get some accurate weights. They will definitely help you get your hitch dialed in correctly. 3 weights are required, 1 just the truck loaded for camping with the family. A second weight with the trailer hooked up but no hitch bars connected. and finally a third weight all hooked up weight bars and all.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #5

Congrats on the new travel trailer, we have the same layout and have spent the past two years visiting different parts of Ontario and upstate New York.

If you are planning on camping in this weather I strongly suggest you take care to (i) watch your tire pressures and (ii) avoid using the slide-out once it gets below 10C.

The large variations in temperature can result your actual tire pressures varying quite a bit. If you run your tire pressures too low, you are at risk for a blow-out.

The slide on our trailers is quite large, I have had trouble with it coming out of alignment when used in cold weather. I think it has to do with the sliders becoming very stiff and the slide being extremely long. This just happened to me again on Sunday. You also want to make 100% sure you have it levelled and the stabilizers out before you use the slide.

Happy camping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMYK View Post
Got home and the kids were jumping up and down, as was I (on the inside). We're in Ontario so I'm hoping to get a few fall camping trips in yet before the snow flies.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
My dealer told me the same thing about adjusting the hitch high. Didn't work out well for me at all. The other thing you want to do is go to a CAT Scale and get some accurate weights. They will definitely help you get your hitch dialed in correctly. 3 weights are required, 1 just the truck loaded for camping with the family. A second weight with the trailer hooked up but no hitch bars connected. and finally a third weight all hooked up weight bars and all.
Those weights should help a great deal in knowing where the weight is positioned. It's such an interesting combination of factors to get everything smoothed out. I have a feeling that having the WDH sitting too high is the reason why it was moving around, but from here on out I'll be having heavier loads, so I'll have to remeasure and weigh everything to get a better setup. Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
Congrats on the new travel trailer, we have the same layout and have spent the past two years visiting different parts of Ontario and upstate New York.

If you are planning on camping in this weather I strongly suggest you take care to (i) watch your tire pressures and (ii) avoid using the slide-out once it gets below 10C.

The large variations in temperature can result your actual tire pressures varying quite a bit. If you run your tire pressures too low, you are at risk for a blow-out.

The slide on our trailers is quite large, I have had trouble with it coming out of alignment when used in cold weather. I think it has to do with the sliders becoming very stiff and the slide being extremely long. This just happened to me again on Sunday. You also want to make 100% sure you have it levelled and the stabilizers out before you use the slide.

Happy camping!
Thanks!! We'll be more than likely camping around eastern Ontario, upstate NY and maybe get a trip or two in down south. At least that's the dream.

Interesting tip about the slide in cold weather, I'll keep that in mind. Any ideas why it would be worse in cold weather? Could the tracks getting colder be causing something to stick, or maybe the rubber seals are hardening and causing a sticking on the sides?

I'll keep an eye on the tire pressures as well, great tips, much appreciated!!!
Old 10-12-2016, 01:55 AM   #8

Sweet! Welcome to JOF.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Site Team

WELCOME TO JOF!!!

The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote