Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2020, 07:47 AM   #1

New Jayco Class C Owner

We just signed an agreement to purchase a 2018 Melbourne 24L and expect to fly to Nashville to pick it up the end of the month. I saw this model at the 2019 Hershey PA RV show and decided to buy one then. The trip back home will include a stay at Mammoth Cave National Park.

I have two questions for this forum:
1) The dealer will have the RV hooked up to water and electric when we go to pick it up. What should we look for in this 2018 Class C to make sure everything works? We have already driven the RV, bumped out the slide, put down the leveling jacks, started the generator and roof AC, but it was winterized so we didn't have a chance to see if there were any plumbing issues.
2) The bed looks to be slightly smaller than a regular queen sized bed and it folds up when the slide is in. What sized sheets would fit best (i.e. fitted, flat, queen, full, custom)?

Thanks,
Tom
TRNewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:52 AM   #2

Congrats and welcome to the site from SW Michigan! Hopefully someone will help you out. I don't have any experience with that type of RV.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #3

Not familiar with the Melbourne, but most of the Class C’s I’ve seen have what they call a short queen bed. They do make sheets that fit that bed, but we’ve typically used an extra queen set we had around. As many folks have done, we’ve also added a three inch foam topper and I think that makes the world of difference.

Make sure they walk through every aspect of the RV and take notes. As many of the dealers also own RVs, ask them the steps they go through for a typical set up (leveling, power hookup, water and sewage, etc.). If you don’t have an EMS (energy Mgt System that goes between your plug and shore power), I’d recommend that be your first investment. If its going to be hooked up, you might want to ask them to go through the de-winterizing process with you. Might also want to consider investing in a tire pressure monitoring system for peace of mind.

Some folks have “published” their own checklist here for making and breaking camp, so that would be useful to search.

Lots of little things to learn, but folks on the board are tremendously helpful. One of the first things I did after getting mine in apply a good coat of wax on it, as no one takes care of your stuff as good as you do.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:51 AM   #4

Bob - Thanks for your feedback! I will be sure to buy an Energy Mgmt System before I pick up the RV. I will also bring queen sheets for the ride back home.

I have arranged for the RV to get waxed before we pick it up.
TRNewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewtown View Post

I have two questions for this forum:
1) The dealer will have the RV hooked up to water and electric when we go to pick it up. What should we look for in this 2018 Class C to make sure everything works?
First, there is a sticky thread here with a whole checklist for you to use for your pre-delivery inspection:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ted-36094.html

Second, I have the same layout, and we just use standard queen sheets for the bed, and like Bob said, we put a 3" memory foam topper on the mattress, that made it a lot better.

I was actually going to buy the 24L Melbourne, but then saw the 24B, with the same layout.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote