Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsteve99 View Post
All joking aside, he did sincerely apologize for our experience and told me that he would be getting in touch with the dealer to ensure they had all the materials and know how to make the trailer new again.
Hopefully the dealer has the parts and know-how to make it better than "new"! :hihi:

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #22

Hey PJsteve we had some issues buying our new Jayco too. We decided to go with the Eagle284BHS because the whitehawk we viewed (they only had one on the lot so we couldn't do much comparison) had lots of issues with it. My husband is a mechanic and is extremely picky and notices everything. Our dealership had us sign lots of paperwork before our PDI appointment, we had our 18 month old toddler with us so we quickly made our way thru the appointment as she was hungry and losing it! They had my husband sign the financing documents prior to the walk thru which I was not aware of. We went to do the walk thru and 2 minutes into the appointment I noticed hairline cracks in the fiberglass front cap, major slide alignment issues, scratched fridge door the list went on and on. I told the dealer that we could stop the walk thru right there as I was not comfortable with this unit and would not take possession of it. The issue then became that we had already signed the financing documents and that trailer was ours. Are you kidding me? I used to sell real estate it never works that way period. You take possession after the walk thru! So we had a 3 hour discussion with the sales manager/service manager/ salesman/Mechanics about how they would fix it for us. We told them that under no circumstance did we want a damaged unit especially without a massive price discount which they didn't want to do. Finally they agreed to switch the unit for an identical one on the lot. Long story short every unit is not even close to created equal, the second one we were given is hands down better. I hope your dealer stands by their product, its amazing how many people one unhappy person will talk to and ensure that they lose customers due to lack of service. Its a huge investment and not something to be taken lightly.
ewagneki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #23

Wow....that doesn't make me feel better lol. Unfortunately I did not have as keen of an eye as your hubby did. I wish we had the choice of getting a new one but it did not seem to be an option. All I know is that I saw a new unit that had come in after mine and I know what the issues are and if the dealer does not fix them to the same specifications than I will not be taking it back until it is done right. I am so dissapointed and I feel as though the dealership feels I am being unreasonable. Guess we will see. It would be nice if they were somewhat apologetic but they weren't. The only thing I will give them is they said they would make it right and fix it. We will see what happens. I was told that I would have a call last week to let me know how things were going but I have yet to hear from them.

Soon to be happy camper again soon....I hope.
pjsteve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #24

It's always a good idea to do the first camping night in your driveway. Whether it's a brand spanking new trailer or if you're dewinterizing for the start of the season. If any thing is'nt 100% you'll discover it and haven't burned the gas or camping fees and bummed your trip
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #25

Hi pjsteve99,

First off welcome to the forum. We bought our 28Whitehawk from Traveland last year. I'd say our dealings with them has been pretty good. I have friends that have bought trailers from some local dealers including Traveland and Traveland seems to get pretty positive compliments from most.

Our Whitehawk came with some minor flaws mostley cosmetic. Had one water leak they couldn't find so we were charged the hourly rate etc but were told if the leak comes back take pictures to help them find it. Well the leak came back, we took pictures and yes they fixed it the second time under warranty and reimbursed us for the first fee. So not to bad.

As for the trailer in general , we love it. It has been ( knock on wood ) a very good trailer thus far. We found that it takes some time for the propane gas to get to the hot water heater and furnace. In fact it took several attempts. A fellow camper saw my frustration with this and mentioned that sometimes turning on a stove burner will draw the gas into the lines faster and will help get things going. Ever since that tip I have no probs getting everything started up and running quickly. Check your plumbing ( kitchen / Bath ) after driving as the trap for the kitchen sink came loose one time. I cought that just before we did the dishes... lucky.

Pioneer trails is my families favorite spot. We'll be doing about 2-3 trips again this year. So looking forward to it.

Let us know how you make out with the Trailer.

All the best
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #26

pjsteve99,

Did your dealer get the 28DSBH fixed? Just curious

Gary

2012 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4X4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73 (traded)
2005 Jayco 1207 (second PUP)
1976 Coleman Brandywine (first PUP)
katgar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #27

Well I just thought I would give all you whitehawk owners an update. Our whitehawk remained at the dealer (Traveland RV Langley) for 3 weeks while they attempted to fix the over 20 deficiencies. We picked up our trailer on Tuesday, May 14, and headed to Whistler for the long weekend. We got all hooked up and just when we thought everything was running as it should the furnace, AGAIN, stopped working. You can hear the propane trying to light the pilot but it doesn't seem to catch. A strong smell of propane can be detected while standing outside the unit when the furnace is attempting to ignite. Everything else though seemed to be working appropriately. We sat down as a family for our first dinner in our trailer since our purchase over a month ago. While sitting at the table both I, my wife, and my 2.5 yr old fell through the bench as the wood underneath caved in. I could not believe it!!! My wife, who is 7 months pregnant and hormonal lol, called to complain to Traveland and spoke with a manager named Shawn. My wife told the manager about what had happened and he was quick to cut her off at the pass saying that "my technician already fixed those issues..." Well , apparently he didn't fix them otherwise we wouldn't be having these problems. My wife told the manager that we wanted nothing to do with our new trailer and demanded our money back. The manager again quickly cut my wife off mid conversation to tell her to get the idea out of her mind that she would get a refund as they would never do that. The manager said they would just have to keep fixing the issues. To top it all off, on the last day my wife and I were packing up when she felt the floor crack beneath her. My wife is pregnant but she does not weigh over 200 lbs. There is now an area that is soft and you can see your foot dip in the floor. It is obvious that the dealer used very cheap / thin plywood as a subfloor.

My wife called Traveland again today on our way home to discuss the issues and spoke with a manager named Chris. Chris has always been very honest and courteous. Chris told my wife that a refund was out of the question but he may be able to put us in a different trailer. Chris told us to review the website and come by to see him tomorrow. The only thing is that if the trailer costs more, we will have to come up with the money (ie. there are no 2013 models left only 2014). I am not sure what to think right now and honestly, it makes me sick to my stomach to think about the money we spent and the hit we took on our trade only to be left with a lemon model.

Anyway, I will keep you all posted.

Paul
Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #28

The dealer or Jayco should eat the difference in cost for the 2014 model. There can't be that much difference between them.
Locky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #29

Fixed is a pretty liberal term. Putting the plywood for the seat back in place could be considered fixed. They need to make this situation right for you. You may want to get the jayco rep involved with this

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #30
Site Team

Wow, sorry to hear about these ongoing issues. Only consolation is that this is not typical and your next unit should be much better. Every once in awhile all these high production RV makers put out a stinker. Obviously Its no fun if you are the one that gets it..............
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That is where I would disagree. All those issues should have been checked and addressed before the unit ever left the lot. As was mentioned above the dealer is supposed to do a thorough (and that means checking everything) PDI before telling the customer to come pick-up the unit.
I have to disagree also. The only thing this dealer is interested in doing is getting you out of there and not having to take back a defective unit. I would start and maintain a paper trail throughout this process.. I would also take the PDI and find every item that you have found and if it is checked off as working, have him explain why he sold you a trailer that was going to break immediately after passing the PDI and you taking possession.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #32

Hey everybody....So here is the update. The manager has decided to allow us to get another brand new trailer. The catch is they say its going to cost us money. The thing they are holding over our head is that it is a concession they are making us by providing a new trailer. There are no 2013 models left and the dealer is receiving 2014 models. Our choice is the Whitehawk 2014 28DSBH or the only other that they have, with similar floor plan, the Coleman Explorer 2013 CTU281BH. The Coleman is nice and feels to me anyways to be more solid. The only thing is the new Whitehawk will cost us $600 and the Coleman $1200. We had to beg the manager to allow us the credit of the paint protection/fabric protection towards the new unit as we spent a pretty penny getting it on our 2013 Whitehawk. We also purchased a slide topper that was $750 for the 2013 which they originally were not going to credit us for it and then after we pleaded agreed to give us half of our money back towards a new slide topper. We also spent $350 towards a hide-a-bed sofa in our 2013 which they will not credit us and are making us pay for one if we want one in the new unit. I can't believe that the dealer will not just comp the cost of the slide topper and hide-a-bed and be done with it but they won't. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the option of a new unit but I think Jayco should admit, given what has happened, that the unit was a lemon and take care of us but they insist it is still only a warranty issue. Depending on what Jayco says on the phone on Tuesday will help me decide whether to stay with Jayco or move over to the Coleman. I hope Jayco will pitch in some money to make the transition to a new Whitehawk easier. What do you think we should do???????????????????
Old 05-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #33

I doubt you will see anymore money from Jayco, I would still go with the Jayco there are a lot more happy owners than unhappy owners. Keep in mind that you will probably experience a few glitches with any new trailer you get, that is just they way trailers are. Jayco has a 2 year warrranty I am not sure about coleman but i would expect only one and when we have our trailers parked for 5-6 months that is a big difference to me, and one of the reasons we went with a Jayco. I would deal with the service guy that you had the best response from in the future. A thank you for stepping up to back a product will go a long ways too. I should go look at the trailer to see what story the sales guy tells me. I doubt it will be that it was returned because it kept falling apart. Hopefully this helps you out a bit.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #34

Derek I would have to agree....we are leaning towards the jayco but I'm concerned about the quality. I would love to hear from anyone who has picked up a new Jayco 28dsbh 2014.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #35

New Jayco Owner / Unhappy Camper

Wow, sounds like u have bad nothing but issues with the trailer and the dealer. I hope they make it right for u and ur family and step up to the llaye
Old 05-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #36

PJSteve,

Sorry to hear about our problems with the new trailer. It must have been built on the Friday before a long weekend at 4:30 in the afternoon, after an extended lunch hour at the pub, from some new employees.......

I have a first run 2012 28DSBH whitehawk and must admit that I knew going in that buying any trailer would not be perfect. Yes we pay a lot of money but still I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect trailer. That being said what is happening to you is ridiculous. But at least they are wiling to help you out with a new trailer albeit still a pain in the *** .

As for our trailer.... as expected it has had some minor flaws ( built on a Tuesday ) but it has held up very well.

If it was me in your situation I would still give Jayco another try.

Have you called Jayco directly ? If so what did they say?

Here's hoping things go well for you.

Cheers
Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #37

Paul,

Took our 2013 28DSBH out for 3 days this weekend and really had a good time and no issues. This is my 2nd trip and so far (knock on wood) we have not had any problems. I am biased towards Jayco since I had a PUP before moving up to the 28DSBH and I researched and went to RV shows for 3 years before deciding to buy a Jayco. Just my 2 cents. I really feel bad you had so many issues with yours, but if you read some of the other forums, none of the RV manufacturers are perfect, there is always somebody who bought one that has major problems. Good luck with whatever decision you choose, I hope it works out for you and your family.

2012 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4X4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73 (traded)
2005 Jayco 1207 (second PUP)
1976 Coleman Brandywine (first PUP)
katgar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #38

Thanks for the input guys,,,,I do realize that no trailer is perfect. I am looking forward to checking out the new 2014 Whitehawk and I still want to stay optimistic about Jayco and their products. Will let you all know how it goes. Again, anyone with a new 2014 Whitehawk 28DSBH feel free to weigh in with your experience and first impressions.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #39

So I thought I would share an update on the trailer front...just got off the phone with Jayco customer service rep Brian Smith who has agreed to pay the $600 difference the dealer wanted to charge us for a new 2014 model. Im very appreciative that Jayco has stepped up to help resolve this situation. The hard part to swallow is we are still out $1,000 as the dealer agreed to cut the price in half of a new slide topper for when the new unit arrives but we will lose the $750 on the original slide topper and the $350 upgrade we paid for the hide-a-bed. We have decided to not get the hide-a-bed in the new one as we just cant afford another $350. Stay tuned.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #40

Sounds like a good deal to me. I know you are out a $1000.00 but just think of it as an upgrade :/ new year
sucks but I see good faith from both dealer and Jayco both.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote