Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2021, 06:32 AM   #1

New Jayco Owners!

Greetings! My wife and I purchased a 2021 Eagle 330 RSTS and are schedule to pick it up May 6th. We spent 21 years camping in a Coleman pop up while raising our 2 daughters. Now it’s time for my wife and I (no pets) to have a little more luxury and comforts of home while we continue camping. So excited for this upgrade, but know there’s a steep learning curve. My tow vehicle is a 2017 Silverado High Country 2500 HD 6.6 Duramax. Purchased our camper at Gag’s RV in Mankato, MN. What advice do you have for us?
AceFiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:44 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy your 2021 Eagle 330 RSTS. Make sure you do a very thorough PDI before signing any more paperwork or handing over any more $.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:16 AM   #3

Congratulations and Welcome from Southern NY

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #4

Hello and welcome from Indiana! Congrats on your new Jayco. You will find lots of friendly people on hear and willing to answer your questions. Can't say enough about a thorough walkthrough before taking delivery. Turn things on and off, light the stove and oven, etc. Treat it like a home inspection on steroids. It is much easier to get things corrected now than after you drive off with it. Plan a short camping trip close to home for you first time out. You will be able to get familiar with your new TT and all the features. You might want to find an empty parking lot and practice backing the TT into a spot. I find using some orange cones helpful in practicing backing into a site by going between the cones. You are going from a pop-up to a 40' TT and I can imagine that will be completely different. It takes me a few minutes to adjust from a 42' FW to a 20' boat trailer. The wheels are in different places and the reaction time is significantly different. Main thing is slow and patience. If you miss the approach don't hesitate to circle around and try again. We have all done it.

Happy trails and camping!
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #5

+1 to what Wiscampin states about the value of a PDI inspection. Whatever you do, do not let the dealer sidetrack you or make excuses preventing you from completing "your" inspection When we picked up our new Pinnacle 38FLWS it was mid December and the starting to sleet and snow. I had a very comprehensive PDI inspection that I downloaded and embelished. The dealer's stance was, "its cold out and we do not have room inside to dewinterize it, test it and then winterize it again". Trust me, between the demo of how to use all of the systems and the inspection, you will be lucky to retain 20% of the data that you are given. When you leave with your new unit, you need to have the peace of mind to know that successful operation of all systems was either demonstrated or documented. Later on when you are trying to figure out what button does what and it doesn't work like you thought, you will know its operator error, not a system failure. Keep in mind that some systems such as air conditioning may require that you are in a warm environment to opertate. Do not allow shortcuts by the dealer that are for their convenience. You paid a lot of money, its a pain to take it back for repairs. Stand your ground and require a successful demontration of every system or veriable test documentation showing that everything was tested.
CraigBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
You are going from a pop-up to a 40' TT and I can imagine that will be completely different.
Welcome from Northeast Illinois!

We sold our popup last May and purchased a travel trailer. It was a learning experience, particularly towing, turning, and backing. I found backing a longer trailer was much easier than my 18' popup was. My popup turned on a dime...this trailer not so much.

I also found that the wind and passing trucks has a much greater impact on my travel than it used to. I rarely noticed them with the popup. I absolutely do now.

Oh, and getting fuel is more challenging! I'm 51' long, bumper to bumper. Places I had to trouble navigating when I was 37' long are much harder now. Plan your fuel stops before you need it! You won't fit in as many stations or pumps as you used to.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #7

Welcome from Ohio! Get your pdi completed, put together a checklist that works for you and your wife for pretrips. Slowly start using it, and start making those memories. Safe Travels to you guys!

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:40 PM   #8

Welcome and congrats! That is a very nice rv you will love going camping in it..
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
Hello and welcome from Indiana! Congrats on your new Jayco. You will find lots of friendly people on hear and willing to answer your questions. Can't say enough about a thorough walkthrough before taking delivery. Turn things on and off, light the stove and oven, etc. Treat it like a home inspection on steroids. It is much easier to get things corrected now than after you drive off with it. Plan a short camping trip close to home for you first time out. You will be able to get familiar with your new TT and all the features. You might want to find an empty parking lot and practice backing the TT into a spot. I find using some orange cones helpful in practicing backing into a site by going between the cones. You are going from a pop-up to a 40' TT and I can imagine that will be completely different. It takes me a few minutes to adjust from a 42' FW to a 20' boat trailer. The wheels are in different places and the reaction time is significantly different. Main thing is slow and patience. If you miss the approach don't hesitate to circle around and try again. We have all done it.

Happy trails and camping!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBU View Post
+1 to what Wiscampin states about the value of a PDI inspection. Whatever you do, do not let the dealer sidetrack you or make excuses preventing you from completing "your" inspection When we picked up our new Pinnacle 38FLWS it was mid December and the starting to sleet and snow. I had a very comprehensive PDI inspection that I downloaded and embelished. The dealer's stance was, "its cold out and we do not have room inside to dewinterize it, test it and then winterize it again". Trust me, between the demo of how to use all of the systems and the inspection, you will be lucky to retain 20% of the data that you are given. When you leave with your new unit, you need to have the peace of mind to know that successful operation of all systems was either demonstrated or documented. Later on when you are trying to figure out what button does what and it doesn't work like you thought, you will know its operator error, not a system failure. Keep in mind that some systems such as air conditioning may require that you are in a warm environment to opertate. Do not allow shortcuts by the dealer that are for their convenience. You paid a lot of money, its a pain to take it back for repairs. Stand your ground and require a successful demontration of every system or veriable test documentation showing that everything was tested.

^^These ^^
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:26 AM   #10

Welcome from York County, South Carolina!

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:36 AM   #11

Welcome from Toledo, Ohio! I cannot agree more about doing a VERY thorough PDI before any paperwork is signed. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is checking all electrical outlets in the rig while doing the PDI. For about $8, get a circuit tester from a place like Harbor Freight Tools and make sure you plug it in to every socket in the rig...have seen on new TT's where wiring is wrong and no power to outlet. And make sure that you have a rep from the dealer write down any concern you find, and get them to sign off that it is a concern that will be addressed by the dealer's service department. And take it easy the first couple of times towing that thing, because there will be a world of difference between the new rig and a popup. Have fun!
Deacon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:44 AM   #12

Welcome
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:08 AM   #13

Welcome and Enjoy from Texas Panhandle
Wineguard G3 portable sat system & H24 receiver
2013 Harley Triglide
2 Yorkies
cbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

AceFiveO,

Welcome to JOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFiveO View Post
snip.......What advice do you have for us?
Couple thoughts come to mind......

* As mentioned, a detailed PDI is extremely important and your dealership should have a backup plan for an 'indoor' PDI in the event of inclement weather.

*PDI reference, Post #1: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...d-36094-4.html

* Actual 'as-shipped' UVW (yellow sticker) will be around 10,800lbs.

* A properly rated WDH with integrated sway control IMO is a must for a 40ft long/12,000lb GVWR TT. The 330RSTS under moderately loaded conditions (no fluids) can generate a loaded tongue weight in the 1,500lb to 1,700lb weight range (13% to 15% of gross weight).

* The dealership 'at best' will adjust your WDH under "unloaded" conditions..., once you have the TV/TT combination loaded at your typical ready-to-camp conditions the WDH will require a re-adjustment. The best way to confirm your weights and WDH adjustments is a 3-pass weigh-in at a CAT scale.

CAT Scale 'how-to': https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Also, insure that your RV dealership provides you with all the Installation and Adjustment documentation that came with your new WDH.

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote