Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #1

New Member / electrical question

Hello,

As you see I am new here. I have recently started camping with a 2019 284BHS. We are happy with the camper and are enjoying the lifestyle. This forum seems to be a great place to visit for information. Thank you for having me.

My question is pretty simple I believe. I am not able to run off my battery. Everything works on shoreline power, the battery is good but I am not able to run anything at all while not on shoreline power. I have checked the circuit breakers and fuses. I have been searching for a schematic and I have some luck but none that show me exactly what I’m looking for, the battery to power distribution panel. I’m not sure if I’m looking for an inline fuse, circuit breaker or where to locate it. I know should be able to get this from Jayco so I submitted an email but I hope someone here can answer my questions.

I hope this question is not posted in the wrong spot.

Thank you.
romeogolfwhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #2

The only thing that runs off of battery is the lights, water pump, furnace and propane side of fridge.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. None of that stuff is working. I know there is an inverter, I’m not sure what that is supposed to run, but I’m concerned with the DC off the battery circuits.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeogolfwhiskey View Post
Thanks for the reply. None of that stuff is working. I know there is an inverter, I’m not sure what that is supposed to run, but I’m concerned with the DC off the battery circuits.
Welcome to the JaycoOwnersForums (JOF). You may be able to get more specific and perhaps better answers if you post this in the Travel Trailer forum or General forum. Not everyone reads the welcome mat forums as much or as often.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7/

In any case, most RV's only use the batteries for the slides, lights, and vent fans, perhaps the radio and a few other similar items. Many RV's have an inverter however often that is wired only for the TV. Some higher end and\or modified RV's have larger inverters that can run more, but not a lot more, often no A/C or Microwaves. Yours if from the factory may or may not have an inverter, and if it does then try to turn on your tv (you should have an inverter on\off switch, likely in the area where your tanks monitor is). I have plugged my laptop into the plug the TV uses and that works well, but I plan to install a larger inverter soon. ~CA
Old 08-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #5

Welcome aboard

Sounds like the inline fuse is blown or a flipped disconnect switch.

There is an inline fuse near the battery. My understanding this is a dealer installed when they installed the battery. Start by look at the battery terminals. Some dealers install it where the 7 pin harnesses transitions to the tt wiring.

Another item to look for is a master disconnect switch. Not all TTs come with one. My experience, when it is a factory installed it is in the cargo hold. It is a fairly large red switch.

Happy camping. =

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #6

Welcome and Jagiven is spot on with the advice. My first thought was find a master switch. It could be a dealer or first owner installed item but not every unit has one. If you are handy pull the convertor and check the wires coming in from the battery with a meter.

On the tongue you will be looking for a 30 amp inline fuse.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Sounds like the inline fuse is blown or a flipped disconnect switch.

There is an inline fuse near the battery. My understanding this is a dealer installed when they installed the battery. Start by look at the battery terminals. Some dealers install it where the 7 pin harnesses transitions to the tt wiring.
Thank you!! Knowing what to look for made it much easier. It was a blown fuse. I had no idea it was there. Buried in a wire bundle.

Still interested in getting the proper wire schematics though, we’ll see if Jayco comes though.

Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:05 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice. I don’t have a Master Disconnect anywhere. It was the fuse that I didn’t know it existed.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Thank you!! Knowing what to look for made it much easier. It was a blown fuse. I had no idea it was there. Buried in a wire bundle.

Still interested in getting the proper wire schematics though, we’ll see if Jayco comes though.

Thanks again.
It isn't an as built drawing and wasn't very helpful to me. The systems are simple enough, mostly home runs to the convertor. Plus dealer modifications aren't included. And from years here it seems there are plenty of modifications that happen during the built process.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I don’t have a Master Disconnect anywhere. It was the fuse that I didn’t know it existed.
That fuse at the battery is to protect the wire between the battery and the main fuse box, when you are drawing power off of the battery. If you did not have it, and there was an overload condition, it could cause the wire to melt and start a fire.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The only thing that runs off of battery is the lights, water pump, furnace and propane side of fridge.
X2
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #12

Welcome aboard, glad you are here!

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:32 AM   #13

Welcome from York County, South Carolina!

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #14

Power

I can attach schematics on the inverter later. I was going to trace everything out and draw up the schematic. But that's in the near future. As for now, the inverter may help plus a few YouTube videos.
Michael sauce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, electric issue, electrical, schematics electrical