Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #1

New member,must have list.

Hi,
New member in NY region, waiting to pick up G2 29BHS. Does anyone have a quick check list of things you need when you first start out. I know a Brake Controller and Weight Distribution Hitch are essential but anything else?

Regards
thelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you and hope you enjoy your new Jayco. Are you new to RV'ing?

You have two of the basic things. I'm sorry I don't have a list. You will need something for leveling (to go under the tires) and some chocks (several types available). Don't forget your sewer hose and connectors, a water hose and water pressure regulator. Most dealers supply the sewer and fresh water hoses as a complimentary gift. Pack up your food, clothes and other stuff and your ready to go.

Good luck and have fun. We like photos. Be sure to take plenty of photos to post so we can share your trips.

Jim
Priscilla, best friend & navigator.
Hank (5 year old black & tan Dachshund)
Cocoa (3 year old brown & tan dapple Dachshund)
2010 Fleetwood Excursion 30a
Toad is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X
(We traded in our F250 and Jayco Eagle)
One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #3

My list of "Must Haves" for travel trailer camping:

Weight distribution hitch
Brake controller
Towing mirrors to ensure adequate rear vision--I like the Hensley brand
Wheel chocks
Leveling blocks (I prefer Lynx brand but also use 2X10 or 2X12 lumber cut in lengths)
Carpenter's Torpedo Level or short carpenter's level to determine if/when trailer is level
Cordless drill with socket attachment that fits stabilizer jacks to lower and raise jacks
20 feet of sewer hose to ensure sufficient length at any campsite with sewer connection
Polarity checker to check campsite power pole for correct polarity
Water pressure regulator
Water "V" splitter to allow water faucet to serve two water hoses--one for trailer and one for general clean-up
Matches or butane lighter to start campfires
Fire starters--parafin impregnated wood chips (can be purchased at sporting goods stores)
Firewood for campsites that require that you buy or furnish your own firewood
Axe or hatchet to assist with splitting firewood or cutting small pieces to get fire started
Five gallon water bucket (to put out fire when done)
50 foot electric extension cord for use with outdoor lights or appliances
Clip-on outdoor light to illuminate outdoor area, especially if cooking after dark
Flashlights--one hand held and one that fits on your head (freeing both hands)
Traveling grill--I prefer gas grills that use small disposable propane bottles (I have both a Coleman Roadgrill and a two-person Coleman grill that is very simple to store)
Clothes pins
Tool box with assortment of screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrenches, etc.
Extra fuses for the tow vehicle
Extra fuses for the travel trailer
First aid kit--Just in case!
Portable waste hauler if you are camping for several days in a site with no sewer connection and the campground has a nearby dump station
Texas Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #4

Thanks for the list "Texas Sam" this will be very helpfull. The salesman told me the 29BHS should be ready for pick up towards the end of Febuary, so my family is very much looking forward to the spring.
thelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #5

Here are four more "must haves" for your list to deal with tire problems on your trailer: emergency hazard signs to put on the highway to warn other motorists of your presence, an "X" shaped lug wrench to enable you to loosen the lug nuts on your trailer wheels, a spare tire for your trailer and a hydraulic bottle jack to raise the wheel(s) on your trailer to enable you to change a flat/low tire. If you have sufficient leveling blocks you can forego the bottle jack and simply pull or back only one of your trailer tires onto the leveling blocks thereby raising the other companion tire off the ground high enough to change it. Of course if your trailer is a single axle, you will have to have the bottle jack!

Good luck on your maiden trip, thelane.
Texas Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:08 AM   #6

You better buy you a rain jacket and put it in your camper. I can't be the only one that it rains on every time I am loading up to go home.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #7

Beer!
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #8

I would definitely say that Lynx levelers should be at the top of your list. We bought ours at Super Walmart, they were alot cheaper than any other place I checked. The list we have is one we made everytime we went camping and asked "Do we have this?" or "Did you bring that?" or "Dammit, I knew we shoulda brought that with us" .........
grncrdbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
Site Team

Talking Get Out your wallet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sam View Post
My list of "Must Haves" for travel trailer camping:

Weight distribution hitch
Portable waste hauler if you are camping for several days in a site with no sewer connection and the campground has a nearby dump station
That's quite a comprehensive list there, Texas Sam. But you forgot one extremely important item that should have been the very first item on your list...

M O N E Y... and lots of it!

A new RV can be (What do I mean, "can be"?) IS a real money pit. And, if it's your first (which I believe it is since you're asking about selecting a hitch and brake controller), it will be a lot like furnishing a second home.

So, besides what Texas Sam has already listed, you're also going to need:

dishes, pots, pans. bowls. silverware, glassware, mugs, kitchen utensils, coffee maker, toaster, colander, hot pads, bathroom items (like hair dryer, toiletries, ice bag, heating pad), towels, linens, blankets, waste baskets, cleaning products, vacuum cleaner, broom, dustpan, bucket, sponge, lawn chairs, outdoor rug, doormat, personal items, plastic baskets or containers for small items, clock, indoor/outdoor thermometer, a good book on survival (because out in wilds, you never know, and help might not be immediately forthcoming), electric heater, nite lights, carbon monoxide detector (if your new TT isn't already equipped with one)... I know there's much more but I'll stop here.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8arkie View Post
Beer!
Ahhh, the most important part. LOL
cciparts is offline   Reply With Quote