Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #1

New Member With Lots Of Questions

Hello!

I'm happy to find this forum. I have experienced some major life changes in the last year and half which have brought me to this new chapter in life. This new chapter began with me walking away from a Corporate America stressful job and choosing to live in a Jayco Feather LGT full time in Western Washington while I retreat, regroup, and see what the future may hold.

It's been many years since I lived in an RV. Some of my early years in Alaska were living in a fifth wheel trailer on the Homer Spit in Homer, AK. It was my oldest daughter's first home. That was many years ago though. One of my biggest questions right now is if I should have some kind of cover over the Jayco while I live in it. It will be parked in one spot for some time. Alaska has long, dark, cold winters so at this stage in life, I want all the bright daytime light that I can possibly get. It seems that any kind of cover with limit the light. But people tell me it's necessary to prevent leaks and damage to the Jayco.

My knowledge about any part of this new life is very limited and I'm happy to hear any and all advice that anyone would like to share. Thank you!
happycamper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:56 PM   #2

First, I hope you find the inner peace you are seeking.

Second, I've never lived in a super cold climate (NY gets cold but not Alaska cold) so I'd be concerned about how you're going to keep the trailer and all the plumbing warm during the long Alaska winter. These trailers have minimal insulation and even the ones with a thermal package may not provide adequately insulated for temperatures below zero (someone with experience will chime in I'm sure). You can go through propane pretty quick when things stay cold day and night.

Stay safe and enjoy.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:35 PM   #3

Hello and thank you very much for your reply and well wishes. It's going to be a journey to find that inner peace for sure, but I have faith everything will work out.

Apologies if my post was a bit confusing. I'm actually living in Western Washington state which has a fairly mild climate but very wet winters with a lot of wind. I lived in Alaska for many years and am no stranger to living what is now called "off the grid" or an unusual life style. Back then it was just typical life in rural Alaska. I was also married for most of that time so I had some help dealing with mechanical things. Right now I am mostly concerned with the amount of rain and wind we have here. My son in law is already helping me seal a leak on the rear window above the bed. The man I bought the Jayco from said he sealed everything every year, but I'm beginning to have some doubts. The interior is in excellent condition and he had every original manual that came with the camper. Thank you once again for the kind words.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:03 AM   #4

You really don't want to cover it since that will trap moisture on non-rainy days. As to being told you have to cover it. Do the dealers cover them on their lots, do you see covers on every RV in storage? I is not really necessary, RV'd for over 40 years and never covered any rig and never had leaks. The way you prevent leaks is checking and re-sealing the roof on a regular basis and the same applies to the windows.

I would recommend some type of skirting if you plan on being parked in one spot long term. Also invest in a heated water hose so you don't have to constantly disconnect.

Good luck with your upcoming adventure.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #5

Thank you for the advice. I noticed the same thing while walking around the neighborhood, that very few RV's have any kind of cover over them. A few are in carports and it looks really dark under there. Event though the man who sold the RV to me said he resealed everything this year, it looks like only the roof has been sealed. I'm guessing it might worth the expense to have it professionally done until I can learn to do it myself.

Do you think a heated water hose will also protect any other plumbing in the RV? I will look into the skirting. Thank you once again!
Old 10-13-2020, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper007 View Post
I'm guessing it might worth the expense to have it professionally done until I can learn to do it myself.

Do you think a heated water hose will also protect any other plumbing in the RV? I will look into the skirting. Thank you once again!
Use ETERNABOND TAPE on the roof seams and you have about 15 years until you need to do it again.

The water hose will not protect the other plumbing. Unless you have extended super cold spells, which I don't think happens in Wash State, you should not have any problems if you keep heat inside. I've spent several nights when the temps hit 17 and nothing froze. The other thing is only dump when needed and don't leave the grey water valve open and don't let water lay in the sewer hose.

How to install ETERNABOND:
Old 10-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #7

Welcome from northeast Illinois.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #8

Welcome from SW Michigan!

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'