Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

Unhappy New Member with new Jayco ultra light TT

Hello all! I just purchased a 2013 Jayco 184 BH Travel Trailer. It was a trade-in so I took advantage of that. My tow vehicle is a 2000 Toyota Pre-Runner, with TRD package, 6 cylinder with a tow rating of 5000#, hitch 500#. I towed the 184BH 75 miles home from the dealership without issue. I was able to back it in to a tight parking spot next to my boat without difficulty. I've been busy reading forums about this model as well as Boon docking, etc. I've taken advantage of some of the supplies lists I've come across to aid me in properly outfitting the trailer. First thing I bought (besides sewer hoses and fittings) was a torque wrench and a set of deep sockets for the wheel lugs. I've continued adding to my "tools" list, kitchen list, axillary power, etc. I'm trying to keep my add-ons weight low. I've towed 2000#+ boats over 3000 miles, including high mountain passes in my Tacoma. I noticed on the trip back from the dealer that the electric trailer brakes and truck braking were in perfect balance. There was no trailer sway at all, (I have no anti-sway or load distribution on my hitch) The hitch weight of the trailer didn't load down my trucks beefy suspension one bit (4x4 suspension, heavy duty leaf springs) . I was running with overdrive off and pulling the trailer was effortless.... until the uphill grade....!
The Tacoma was slowing down so I pressed down on the accelerator and she roared to life! With all the power that 6 cylinders had to offer, she was able to maintain a speed of 55 mph up the gentle grade! Needless to say, if I was going up steep grades at high altitudes, I'd want more power! The Tacoma has 130,000.00 on her and she's not quite as strong as in her younger years. She also has a high profile camper shell that weighs about 200# so she's really getting a workout. The Tacoma has a transmission cooler but no oil cooler. I'll see how she does handling the trailer on some local road trips. Trucks were made to work and the fully loaded trailer weight of 3500# is as much weight and windage as I'd consider putting on the Pre-runner due to those steep grades up here in the Olympic Mountains of Washington State. One thing for certain, my three large dogs are going to love it! (The tents are going to mildew from non-use!) Besides, tenting in a temperate rainforest isn't all that much fun
Islandfirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #2

Welcome! Sounds like a new(er) Tundra is in your future!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #3

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase!! You can use the tents for uninvited guests!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #4

Welcome! We have the same trailer (2012 model) and we love it! We camp with 2 pugs. 2 main things we want to do is find a place to put the flat screen and maybe add access doors under the seats for easier access.

This year we're going to stay put and park it at a permanent site about 40 miles north of Omaha on the Missouri River. The park is under construction and this &$3@! weather has put things behind! Can't wait to get out there and putter around--we only camped a few times last year.

Enjoy!

Replacement: 2013 Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS

2010 Honda Ridgeline
1988 Perris Pacer "Bean" (molded fiberglass camper)
PugMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (first thread in New Members forum has them all listed, second thread has more new member welcoming info). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #6

Welcome. I also have a 184BH and my tow vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Tacoma. I don't have the TRD pkg. but it did come with the full tow pkg. and trans cooler. I'm currently installing a sway bar for use on some of the larger highways in my area. Even w/out it I haven't had any trouble.. According to the owner's manual and original window sticker it has a tow rating of 6500lbs.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
Welcome. I also have a 184BH and my tow vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Tacoma. I don't have the TRD pkg. but it did come with the full tow pkg. and trans cooler. I'm currently installing a sway bar for use on some of the larger highways in my area. Even w/out it I haven't had any trouble.. According to the owner's manual and original window sticker it has a tow rating of 6500lbs.
The 2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner with TRD package has a tow rating of 5000#. It has 190 HP@4800 rpm & 220ft# of torque@3600rpm. The 2007 Prerunner V-6 has 236# HP @5200rpm & 266ft#torque@ 4000rpms. Gas milage is about the same. Yours has more power! Have you gone up any hills yet? If so, how'd she do?
Islandfirl is offline   Reply With Quote