Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #1

New Member - X17Z

Its not quite ours yet but, we're in the process of purchasing the X17Z model..deposit is made just going through the motions...excitment is building. I have a 2008 Ford Escape 3.0L. I'm just doing the neccessary checks on the fluid (tranny fluid to be done next week, oil changed today, coolant is good). I know my truck can haul 3500lbs. The unit is say 3000lbs. I'm getting the weight distribution bars and I know not to fill the water tanks etc etc. We were going to get a tent trailer but then the dealer(s) pointed us out towards these hybrids...Am I making a mistake? I mean, is my SUV capable enough to handle this trailer. Although they all say I can handle it, then again..I know they want a sale. Any pointers? thanks in advance!!

Steelcowboy
Moncton, NB
steelcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #2

Ok its ours now YIPPIE!!!! we're really happy with what we bought
Old 07-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #3

Hey SteelCowboy - Welcome to the Jacyo Forum - glad you found us!

I have moved you to your own dedicated post so we can welcome you properly!

There are some really good tow folks out here that can help you more than me....I would just say take it slow and easy and how things go. Do you have an electric brake controller on that model?

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome and congrats on your new trailer!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #5

Does the Escape have any kind of " tow package" . Just as it sits I think you marginal at best. Larry
Old 07-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #6

The 17Z is a neat unit. Some pictures of mine can be found in my album on this site.

Enjoy it and keep us posted.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #7

No I didn't get the tow package when I bought my Escape, I am getting the electonic brake installed along with the weight distribution kit.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #8

The rating of the tires should be a concern along with the rear suspension.We had an Escape and the 3.0 is a great motor, but I don't know how it will be against the drag of the tt. You also have the tongue weight to consider along with the total weight of the tt & tv loaded. Larry
Old 07-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #9

I was driving back from Shediac yesterday and of course everyone was coming back from the beaches and camps and I was heading out to take the plunge in the ocean (no trailer in tow). I noticed many small SUV's hauling tandem trailers and trailers that looked much larger than mine on GMC Jimmies and Equinox's. I met a guy today who had a vehicle (forget what it was) but it only had a 2.3L engine in it and he was hauling a 3200lb trailer and he said it was no problem, he looked at my vehicle and said i should have no porblem ..only thing he said was maybe look into getting a sway bar because the trailers with single axle tend to sway more than the tandem. I am kinda worried until I actually try it but many people are saying that I should have no problems hauling this. We don't intend on driving it all over the place yet, maybe a couple 3 hour drive's but nothing like all day excursions until I get used to hauling the tt. I'm in teh process of checking all my fluids...oil/filter --done! Tranny fluid..changeout on Thursday, coolant relatively new (the 2008 Ford Escape has the transmission cooler built in) I did have a leak there last year and it was repaired..a very common thing with the 08 escape (must be a factory defective bolt--so I heard). I'm glad there's a site for Jayco's, thanks for any advice anyone can give this newbie camper

MJR in Moncton, NB
Old 07-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
Site Team

Yep, you will see many, many strange combinations on the road and pulling into Campgrounds. Some with no WD system and the hitch shank almost dragging the ground, with the vehicle and trailer in a V shape, nowhere close to level.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #11

Thumbs up

signing the papers today, truck goes in for hitch and electrical installment next week. The excitment builds
Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #12

Congrats on the new trailer. We had been pulling ours with a Toyota Sienna (minivan). was rated for 3,500# as well and it pulled fine. Granted I knew it was back there and it used it's power to pull up hills, but it handled it well.
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4 5.7l V8
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #13

Congrats and have good memories with it. Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
snip........ Just as it sits I think you marginal at best. Larry
Steelcowboy,

I have to agree with Larry on this one, so be careful how you load your TV/HTT because IMO you can "exceed" your TV weight limits rather easily under loaded conditions. Doesn't mean your TV can't pull it, just it may compromise the reliability of the TV's drivetrain.

Just for point of reference, your Escape's 3,500lb Tow Rating is based on the curb weight of it's base model which only includes a 150lb driver and a full tank of gas. The total weight of passengers, cargo, and TV options gets subtracted from the 3,500 Tow Rating. IMO your TV will be at it's actual maximum tow rating before you even load anything into the HTT.

Jayco X17Z
UVW 2,995lbs
Ship Weight ?????lbs
GVW 3,500lbs

Also, watch how your RV dealer tech adjusts your WDH, because it will be adjusted for your TV/HTT "unloaded" weight (if adjusted correctly). You will have to re-adjust your WDH once you load your TV/HTT ready for camping..... makes a big difference on handling.

Tow safe.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #15

right on, thanks for the advice everyone there are only 2 of us right now and a lil 20lb dog. we don't plan on loading anything that is unecessary..groceries and other things can wait until we arrive at the campsite or nearby city to be picked up. Most of the things for the trailer will be plastic (plates, cups and a small garbage can for the bathroom). the linens will remain with the beds. We don't plan on doing much towing this year. Maybe 300 km's max in one direction. Next year we'll be better prepared. I am aware of travelling lite so i'll be keeping that in mind I guess once I haul it i'll have a better idea what can and can't be done.

Take care everyone, have a safe and fun summer i'll keep ya's posted on my first few hauls

MJR,
Moncton, NB
Old 07-23-2011, 04:25 AM   #16

Congrats and welcome from your neighbour to the west(Fredericton). I think you'll be able to tow it okay. but it's going to be slow. You may want to look into a larger than stock tranny cooler. the factory one is probably too small as it meant to cool the transmission during normal use. Towing close to your max limit is not normal use. May want to check owner's manual on towing, as I think you'll need to keep it out of overdrive when towing.